Email thank you notes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jordews

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious to see what you guys thought about this? I have all of my interviewers names, and I can get their email addresses off the med school webpage. Do you think it would be inappropriate to email a personal thank you note to them, or should i stick with the traditional thank you card, through the snail mail. anyone with an opinion or a personal experience with this? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think emailing thank you notes is a good idea. A hand written thank you note shows that you put some time into it, and an email may make you appear lazy. I'm sure in the long run, it really won't make much of a difference.

On the topic of thank you notes, what do you think about typed snail mail? See I have the most awful handwriting, and everytime I finish a handwritten note, I step back, look at it, and can't help but think a five year old wrote it. I seriously think it might cause bad reactions. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
Derby, if your handwriting is that bad. I would get a friend with nice handwriting to copy the letter for you. It would still be your words and would make a better impression. Definately snail mail notes are 1000X's better than e-mail notes.

Do you have a friend willing to write 2-3X notes for 17 schools?

HI DAVE!!!

I'LL DO IT!!!!

i disagree...I think emailing the interviewers is FINE! My handwriting sucks too so I just email. They don't mind :)
PLUS, many of the interviewers write up there report of you within 3 days...not allowing enough time for snailmail..especially nowadays :(

I've sent thank you notes, both ways. I used email at one school that I knew would discuss/decide on applicants files within the week of their interviews. I was surprised when one of my interviewers even wrote back to thank me for my acknowledgment and to tell me he had written up a favorable interview summary for me.

for those of u who email thank-you notes to your interviewers--how often to you get a reply?

Scooby is right...most interviewers have a quick turn-around and by the time your note reaches them via snail mail they've already turned in their report. I've sent e-mail before, but mostly just type my notes and sign them at the bottom. Formal letters can be done on a processor - it in no way takes away from the personalization. Just make sure it doesn't sound like a form letter when you write it.

I have only gotten 2 responses..and they have been from the students I have interviewed with. Don't expect a response....

On this note.. I just interviewed at UT southwestern, and I wrote an email thank you note to my interviewer. It was great, because he wrote me back and told me he really enjoyed our conversation, and that he hoped I picked their school! So i personally think interview thank you notes are great. It gives you a chance to personally thank them for their time etc. and it gives them a chance to easily write you back.