emailing before/during the scramble

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbass1350

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Carib grad looking to match (or more likely scramble) into a spot this year. I have obtained scans of all my records (scores, transcripts, ECFMG certification, etc...) and have consolidated them into a single pdf file. I am planning to email these files to PDs either before or during the scramble period.

My logic for this strategy is that it seems to be a more efficient approach than using faxes or phone lines. Of course I will be also using ERAS, but that will be limited to the number of slots before they start charging me.

My questions are:

- Is it considered kosher to call programs before the scramble, tell them that I am likely to not match, and ask them if they are interested in my profile? Will I be breaking any laws by doing this or will it annoy PDs? ( I am considering using the list of unfilled programs in the previous years as a general guideline for whom to contact).

- What is your personal opinion on using emails instead of faxing during the scramble (assuming no one answers the phones - which they probably won't).

Thanks for your time

Members don't see this ad.

You'll probably annoy programs if you call before the scramble, unless you can see into the future and know what programs need to scramble.

Applicants don't find out until March 16th. Programs won't know if they fill until the 17th (unless they had five interviews for six spots... but there's no way to know this info).

I am already getting emails like this. They usually ask me to "keep their application on file in case I have any post match openings". I usually don't end up in the scramble, so I put them in that handy circular file located on my computer desktop called the "recycle bin". But other programs which end up in the scramble may hold onto them.

Instead of emailing the large file (which may get stripped out by the email server), you can put your documents on line -- there are many free document hosting services. MyDocumentsWeb seems popular this year -- but I just checked and their "server is down for upgrades, hope to be back online in a few weeks".

I am already getting emails like this. They usually ask me to "keep their application on file in case I have any post match openings". I usually don't end up in the scramble, so I put them in that handy circular file located on my computer desktop called the "recycle bin". But other programs which end up in the scramble may hold onto them.

Instead of emailing the large file (which may get stripped out by the email server), you can put your documents on line -- there are many free document hosting services. MyDocumentsWeb seems popular this year -- but I just checked and their "server is down for upgrades, hope to be back online in a few weeks".

Thank you for your response. The web site strategy seems way more efficient so I'll try to find a good site. As far as predicting what program will scramble, I'm using the NRMP data and trying to contact hospitals that have been unable to fill their quota for the last 4 years. Since some of them are anticipating having open spots, they might be open to the idea of checking out potential candidates (that's my logic anyways it might end up not being so at all).

...As far as predicting what program will scramble, I'm using the NRMP data and trying to contact hospitals that have been unable to fill their quota for the last 4 years. Since some of them are anticipating having open spots, they might be open to the idea of checking out potential candidates (that's my logic anyways it might end up not being so at all).

Not that likely IMHO. I actually think a lot of these programs which historically haven't filled try to do things in subsequent years to prevent this eventuality in the future. So rather than anticipating open spots, many are hoping they have broken the streak. You thus probably don't win any points suggesting to them before 3/17 that they are again going to have to play the scramble.

I would also think most places won't do anything early, because they don't know who else will be in the scramble to choose from. If they weren't interested in trying their luck in the match, they would have unloaded their spots to prematch folks. And if they don't have the "any warm body will do" attitude, then they are going to wait and see who their choices are.

So I think you are probably wasting your time sending things out before 3/16. Additionally, a lot of programs are going to want to receive things via ERAS rather than via fax/email, because it's easier/less to print.

Will there be a list of programs that do accept application through ERAS?