Emailing profs about research opportunities??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yalla22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am trying to write a letter for my friend who is an international student applying for a phd program in the US and i've been literally sitting in front of the comp for an hour and have come up with something i think is crap.

Anyway, can somebody read this and tell me what they think??! :oops:

Does it sound too generic?

--------------------

Dear Professor <name> :

I am currently finishing my masters in Molecular Biology at X University and am interested in pursuing a PhD at your university.

I have read about your research interests online and am very interested in involving myself in your <insert-molecular biology or virology or whatever the topic of that professors research is> projects.

I have attached my resume to further detail my research experience and interests but in brief, I <insert short summary of interests and experience>.

Please inform me of available research opportunities in your laboratory.

Thank you for your time.

Best regards,

Members don't see this ad.

sounds great to me - I don't see what else they would be hoping for - it's honest about the motives (gain more experience) and it would hopefully then list credentials which would be an asset to the research. The prof I'm working with right now is always looking for good people, and if they ask, he's willing to put them to work!

Members don't see this ad :)
TheProwler said:
sounds great to me - I don't see what else they would be hoping for - it's honest about the motives (gain more experience) and it would hopefully then list credentials which would be an asset to the research. The prof I'm working with right now is always looking for good people, and if they ask, he's willing to put them to work!

thanks Prowler!

Who is your prof and what does he work on, if you dont mind me asking?

why isn't your friend writing the letter? is he "not so good with the English?"

doc05 said:
why isn't your friend writing the letter? is he "not so good with the English?"

oh well he did. and he sent it to me to revise it and then i just took it under my wing...control freak that i am :rolleyes: