Emailing schools for tuition aid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

and 99 others

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions regarding potentially getting merit/tuition aid when choosing schools.

1) Who should these emails be directed to? Admissions or financial aid office?

2) Is it feasible to ask a school for financial aid even though you havent received any aid from any other school? I know people often leverage their financial aid offers from School X to see if School Y can match it. But if I haven't received any money from anywhere, is it ok to tell School X that I would prefer them over School Y if they were able to help with tuition aid?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a few questions regarding potentially getting merit/tuition aid when choosing schools.

1) Who should these emails be directed to? Admissions or financial aid office?

2) Is it feasible to ask a school for financial aid even though you havent received any aid from any other school? I know people often leverage their financial aid offers from School X to see if School Y can match it. But if I haven't received any money from anywhere, is it ok to tell School X that I would prefer them over School Y if they were able to help with tuition aid?

In regards to your first question, I’ve been emailing the financial aid office! I believe that would be your best bet.

As to your second question though, I think it’s fair to email a school asking for a financial aid package if money will be a huge factor in your decision. This is the case with me- I’ve emailed all the schools I’ve been accepted to letting them know that my package will be a big influencer in my decision and asking when they expect to provide such information. I haven’t bargained the way you plan to (“I’ll choose you over my other acceptances if you give me more money”), I’m just simply requesting information and highlighting how important it is to me. Whether it has any effect whatsoever though, I’ve no idea!

1) agree. Financial office.

2) Always ask. That is what the financial office is for. You can learn a lot about how a school values their students through these little interactions and how robust they are. Even the amount and breadth of covering the topic during interviews can tell you something. When I got into my school, our Dean proudly announced a tuition freeze and midway through first year secured a huge donation and spread it to the students. One of my other finalists had a 30-minute presentation about general medical student finances.

Take note when people talk about finances and then ask the school about it. It's too important to leave up to random chance.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Members don't see this ad :)
In regards to your first question, I’ve been emailing the financial aid office! I believe that would be your best bet.

As to your second question though, I think it’s fair to email a school asking for a financial aid package if money will be a huge factor in your decision. This is the case with me- I’ve emailed all the schools I’ve been accepted to letting them know that my package will be a big influencer in my decision and asking when they expect to provide such information. I haven’t bargained the way you plan to (“I’ll choose you over my other acceptances if you give me more money”), I’m just simply requesting information and highlighting how important it is to me. Whether it has any effect whatsoever though, I’ve no idea!
1) agree. Financial office.

2) Always ask. That is what the financial office is for. You can learn a lot about how a school values their students through these little interactions and how robust they are. Even the amount and breadth of covering the topic during interviews can tell you something. When I got into my school, our Dean proudly announced a tuition freeze and midway through first year secured a huge donation and spread it to the students. One of my other finalists had a 30-minute presentation about general medical student finances.

Take note when people talk about finances and then ask the school about it. It's too important to leave up to random chance.

Med School Tutors
Thank you! Does the financial aid office have access to the info in the students file and are able to make a decision based on that? The reason I ask is because the only type of aid I can get is merit aid because I am an international student and thus, can't file FAFSA.

Thank you! Does the financial aid office have access to the info in the students file and are able to make a decision based on that? The reason I ask is because the only type of aid I can get is merit aid because I am an international student and thus, can't file FAFSA.

Typically not, as far as I know. Often merit scholarships are given by committees or private persons and the financial aid office is a middleman/woman to the different scholarship funds. Can't hurt to ask though, I imagine.

Med School Tutors