Emailing the PD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stillpremed

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Your program is my number one." Is this a match violation if this is indeed the truth?

Members don't see this ad.

"Your program is my number one." Is this a match violation if this is indeed the truth?

You cannot ask the program how they are ranking you.

The program cannot ask you how you are ranking them.

Both are match violations.

You both are free to tell each other. I would advise only telling one program that they are # 1 (seems like common sense, but you'd be surprised!).

You cannot ask the program how they are ranking you.

The program cannot ask you how you are ranking them.

Both are match violations.

You both are free to tell each other. I would advise only telling one program that they are # 1 (seems like common sense, but you'd be surprised!).

I second this, but again, only tell ONE program that they are #1. Program directors in the same region often talk to each other at annual conferences and what not.

You can tell a program that they are #1 on your list. But they don't have to tell you squat. You can't ask them where they are ranking you either, unless that is voluntarily given.

I remember when I interviewed, my interviewer asked me if the program was my #1 choice. I don't think he knew that was a match violation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Frugal is right about the NRMP rules of the match. It is OK for you to tell a program you are their #1, but if I was playing this game, I personally wouldn't. I would go for a 2nd look and tell the PD verbally how much you like the program and what you like about it (eg, names of attendings, research, didactics, MR, cirric, location, etc). I think the reason why I wouldn't let a program know they are #1, especially if they are a top notch place (BID, MGH, Duke, etc) is that some places hear it all the time and it may mean nothing and make you seem ingenuine/prototypical candidate. I would definitely list the reasons as to why and explain thoroughly, if you haven't already done so during your IV. At my #1, I let them know what I liked about the program and that I would be happy to be their resident, without right out saying it to them...just my 0.02, will let residents/other applicants/attdg's correct me ;) (hehee, bring it gutonc with the lmgtfy link)

Frugal is right about the NRMP rules of the match. It is OK for you to tell a program you are their #1, but if I was playing this game, I personally wouldn't. I would go for a 2nd look and tell the PD verbally how much you like the program and what you like about it (eg, names of attendings, research, didactics, MR, cirric, location, etc). I think the reason why I wouldn't let a program know they are #1, especially if they are a top notch place (BID, MGH, Duke, etc) is that some places hear it all the time and it may mean nothing and make you seem ingenuine/prototypical candidate. I would definitely list the reasons as to why and explain thoroughly, if you haven't already done so during your IV. At my #1, I let them know what I liked about the program and that I would be happy to be their resident, without right out saying it to them...just my 0.02, will let residents/other applicants/attdg's correct me ;) (hehee, bring it gutonc with the lmgtfy link)

I wrote about this in the ERAS forum. I believe you can tell them that they are # 1, but this might not change how they rank you in the majority of cases just because it pays to rank the best applicants as there is really no penalty for doing so. I also think program directors find it interesting to hear what applicants liked their program. Everyone does not rank top notch places # 1 secondary to numerous variables (couple matching, geographical reasons, you went there and did not mesh with the culture, and so on).