embryo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chiddler

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Book isnt' very clear. In a young embryo, both wolffian ducts and mullerian ducts are present. XY individuals code for testes to form which releases both testosterone and MIH, mullerian inhibiting hormone.

MIH stops the mullerian ducts from forming. Testosterone promotes wolffian duct formation?

What promotes wolffian duct formation?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Book isnt' very clear. In a young embryo, both wolffian ducts and mullerian ducts are present. XY individuals code for testes to form which releases both testosterone and MIH, mullerian inhibiting hormone.

MIH stops the mullerian ducts from forming. Testosterone promotes wolffian duct formation?

Do you mean what promotes mullerian ducts? I believe they develop by default, meaning in the absence of an inhibitor, they will grow simply due to gene expression of the cells without an outside hormonal influence. Think of it this way: every embryo is female by default, and will develop the mullerian ducts on its own without the influence of hormones. When testosterone is present, it stimulates wolffian ducts. The mullerian ducts would still form, so the MIH inhibits their formation. (I believe the absence of MIH and presence of testosterone is a factor in some types of hermaphroditism, but would have to look it up.)

Do you mean what promotes mullerian ducts? I believe they develop by default, meaning in the absence of an inhibitor, they will grow simply due to gene expression of the cells without an outside hormonal influence. Think of it this way: every embryo is female by default, and will develop the mullerian ducts on its own without the influence of hormones. When testosterone is present, it stimulates wolffian ducts. The mullerian ducts would still form, so the MIH inhibits their formation. (I believe the absence of MIH and presence of testosterone is a factor in some types of hermaphroditism, but would have to look it up.)

No I meant wolffian ducts. I understand that mullerians deveop by default in absense of MIH.

MIH causes mullerian ducts to regress an atrophy. What then promotes development of wolffian ducts?

No I meant wolffian ducts. I understand that mullerians deveop by default in absense of MIH.

MIH causes mullerian ducts to regress an atrophy. What then promotes development of wolffian ducts?

Wolffian ducts also develop by default in both sexes, but in females, after the development and separation of the ureteric bud (future ureter, and origin of the entire collecting system) from the wolffian duct, the wolffians atrophy due to a lack of exposure to testosterone.

In males the wolfian ducts are exposed to testosterone, which binds androgen receptors and induces gene expression. The structure remains and develops into the Vas-Deferens & Epididymus, and the Seminal Vesicles.

Source: My pathology/embryology/histology professor, his lecture, and the assigned reading in our embryology text. We're in the Renal block now and literally covered this topic 2 weeks ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wolffian ducts also develop by default in both sexes, but in females, after the development and separation of the ureteric bud (future ureter, and origin of the entire collecting system) from the wolffian duct, the wolffians atrophy due to a lack of exposure to testosterone.

In males the wolfian ducts are exposed to testosterone, which binds androgen receptors and induces gene expression. The structure remains and develops into the Vas-Deferens & Epididymus, and the Seminal Vesicles.

Source: My pathology/embryology/histology professor, his lecture, and the assigned reading in our embryology text. We're in the Renal block now and literally covered this topic 2 weeks ago.

So wolffian ducts persist due to testosterone. Thanks very much.

No need to source :rolleyes:

Am I studying for the MCAT? Never seen MIH and wolfian duct in EK, I think.