Emcare ambassador travel locums

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GTP

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Pgy3 honking of signing with these guys. Anybody worked with them recently? We can chat in private too. Thanks !

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
SDGer here and biased accordingly, but I would say that's a viable option if and only if you really, really want to do locums and really, really want to work for EmCare for some reason.

Putting aside every other issue for a second, locums out of residency is not a great idea for most, in my opinion.

Reactions: 1 users
Is there something specifically wrong with emcare or you guys just think locums are a bad idea? I'm just weighing all options. I have other interviews. The issue is Might end up living in NYC because of my SO, which is ew on its own. I will know more in a few weeks. If I end up there, pretty limited in what I could do to actually make an ok living.

If you wanna do locums, do true blue locums instead of scabwork for a company committed to ruining our profession.

Reactions: 3 users
Locums is a tough gig out of residency. I have friends in New York that make a decent amount around 22o but dont work for EMCARE actually an academic ED. Where is the locums located.

Clinician Behavioral Expectations – EmBassadors:

Problem Solvers –EmBassadors are expected to act as a stabilizing force, to be proficient on electronic documentation, and excel at patient, administration, and clinician relations
Equitable scheduling – EmBassadors are expected to help stabilize site schedules and work their share of nights, weekends and holidays
Flexibility & Commitment to EmCare – We expect Embassador clinicians to provide relief at sites when we encounter unexpected openings - without additional financial gains
Grit & Tenacity – EmBassadors must have a willingness to work in challenging practice environments as well as diverse city, rural, stand-alone ED and urgent care locations
Team Oriented – EmBassadors are individuals who build team culture and who can lead the ER staff in moments of crisis such as a difficult case, or when systems crash in the ER

Program Expectations:
Short-Term Site Placements: EmBassador clinicians will be placed on site engagements that last on average 3-6 months
Regional Coverage: EmBassador clinicians are expected to ultimately hold a minimum of 3 state licenses
High Quality of Care: EmBassador clinicians are expected to perform at high levels of clinical quality at every site they are deployed to

Just do real locums not this EmBassador crap.

Locums is a tough gig out of residency. I have friends in New York that make a decent amount around 22o but dont work for EMCARE actually an academic ED. Where is the locums located.

Problem Solvers –EmBassadors are expected to act as a stabilizing force, to be proficient on electronic documentation, and excel at patient, administration, and clinician relations
Equitable scheduling – EmBassadors are expected to help stabilize site schedules and work their share of nights, weekends and holidays
Flexibility & Commitment to EmCare – We expect Embassador clinicians to provide relief at sites when we encounter unexpected openings - without additional financial gains
Grit & Tenacity – EmBassadors must have a willingness to work in challenging practice environments as well as diverse city, rural, stand-alone ED and urgent care locations
Team Oriented – EmBassadors are individuals who build team culture and who can lead the ER staff in moments of crisis such as a difficult case, or when systems crash in the ER

Program Expectations:
Short-Term Site Placements: EmBassador clinicians will be placed on site engagements that last on average 3-6 months
Regional Coverage: EmBassador clinicians are expected to ultimately hold a minimum of 3 state licenses
High Quality of Care: EmBassador clinicians are expected to perform at high levels of clinical quality at every site they are deployed to

Well need to pick 3 states first. I was considering ny, PA, MA, Connecticut etc. the nearby states. As for the stuff you posted above, those are things most locums have in common. These emcare people offer benefits ($10 per hour less than IC) and have bonuses here and there (additional money to work holidays etc) that I haven't seen at other places. Any locums you recommend?

If you wanna do locums, do true blue locums instead of scabwork for a company committed to ruining our profession.
I'll look into them. Thanks. Have you worked for them before?

Ugggghhhhhh. Are they actually saying that they expect you to stop everything at the drop of a hat to staff last minute shifts in the middle of nowhere for no extra compensation? This is like all the worst parts of locums for none of the benefits. Do idiots exist who actually agree to sign up for this crud?

Reactions: 5 users
Ugggghhhhhh. Are they actually saying that they expect you to stop everything at the drop of a hat to staff last minute shifts in the middle of nowhere for no extra compensation? This is like all the worst parts of locums for none of the benefits. Do idiots exist who actually agree to sign up for this crud?
A buddy of mine just signed with them and this was not on his contract. So I'm guessing you can have it removed. I certainly don't intend to sign anything that suggests I have to work at the last second. That's like residency all over again when I'm on call for someone.

I dunno, when I was sent info from EMCare, the pay was absurdly low.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A buddy of mine just signed with them and this was not on his contract. So I'm guessing you can have it removed. I certainly don't intend to sign anything that suggests I have to work at the last second. That's like residency all over again when I'm on call for someone.

I'm not sure what you mean by it not being on the contract, this is a "firefighter" gig so working anywhere at the last second is the definition of the job.

Anyway, these CMG organized scab operations are going to be the death of locums I think. The whole point behind doing locums as a physician is that you are able to leverage flexibility and willingness to travel in exchange for really high hourly rates from sites that desperately need staffing. If the CMGs can recruit enough bodies for their scab-forces then they can always just staff those sites with people who agree to work anywhere, anytime for a paltry 20-30 more per hour than a regular full time doc would get. Say goodbye to those >250/hr opportunities once that happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
EmCare has a poor reputation among many physicians, including from my personal experience. I'm not going to say more, but just be careful dealing with them.

Sure. This isn't unheard of in the locums world. Especially for a single person with no particular ties to a community who likes to travel, it might be a very attractive proposition. I just wouldn't recommend doing it with EmCare. There are plenty of other locums opportunities (full and part time); this type of arrangement, that has been around for a long time, is not going to be the "death of locums."

Is there something specifically wrong with emcare or you guys just think locums are a bad idea? I'm just weighing all options. I have other interviews. The issue is Might end up living in NYC because of my SO, which is ew on its own. I will know more in a few weeks. If I end up there, pretty limited in what I could do to actually make an ok living.
Yes.

Sure. This isn't unheard of in the locums world. Especially for a single person with no particular ties to a community who likes to travel, it might be a very attractive proposition. I just wouldn't recommend doing it with EmCare. There are plenty of other locums opportunities (full and part time); this type of arrangement, that has been around for a long time, is not going to be the "death of locums."

Maybe I'm understanding this wrong. I thought the job OP was discussing is a gig where you agree to work for some CMG for a set hourly rate regardless of where you'll be sent or when, and that typically that set hourly rate is somewhat higher than a single-site rate with that CMG but much lower than some of the crazy high locums rates that have historically been obtainable. Vs a real locums job, you negotiate on a case by case basis and the sky is the limit on how high the hourly rates can get.

This seems like a pretty straightforward calculation to me. If sites can get staffed using CMG "firefighters" for <$250/hr, there will be fewer opportunities for bona fide locums doctors to get contracts for >$250/hr. Am I missing something here?

EmCare was losing a million a month on labor for the contracts they took over in Houston. I’m not surprised they’re trying to create an internal pool to prevent that from happening again. It also makes pitching to prospective hospitals easier if you can point to having a team of licensed docs with clean records that are just emergency credentials away from starting.

This emcare thing I'm looking at (this is the same as envision right? Sorry I sound stupid) is 265 per hour with benefits and 275 ic. And there are some holiday incentives too

This emcare thing I'm looking at (this is the same as envision right? Sorry I sound stupid) is 265 per hour with benefits and 275 ic. And there are some holiday incentives too

Funny how they could never find their way to pay me (or any other full-time employee) rates even close to that when I worked for them.... But they'll find a way to pay their scabs like that while they take all the good shifts with no expectations of the responsibilities that the full-timers have.

Funny how they could never find their way to pay me (or any other full-time employee) rates even close to that when I worked for them.... But they'll find a way to pay their scabs like that while they take all the good shifts with no expectations of the responsibilities that the full-timers have.

This is the other side of locums it is bad morale sometimes for the docs. They are often slower (it takes time to get used to the logistics of a new ED) get paid more and hardly work nights or weekends.

This is the other side of locums it is bad morale sometimes for the docs. They are often slower (it takes time to get used to the logistics of a new ED) get paid more and hardly work nights or weekends.
What locums hardly work nights or weekends?

What locums hardly work nights or weekends?

Ha. The ones who don't get suckered into working as an "EMbassador". You go through an agency, or network your own locums gig, you can, to an extent, name your price, and name your schedule. Supply and demand. Don't sell out.

But can you name some of these locums you are talking about? Someone earlier mentioned blue locums so I sent them an email. Would love to hear more places so I can make an informed decision

But can you name some of these locums you are talking about? Someone earlier mentioned blue locums so I sent them an email. Would love to hear more places so I can make an informed decision

Literally any locums company.

Here was the best (worst) part:

We lost so many docs [out of frustration] at my then-full-time job site (this was my first gig out of residency) that... without prior consent or notification, all of my existing shifts (8-hour shifts x 15 shifts = 120 hours) magically turned into 12-hour mandatory shifts (12-hour shifts x 15 shifts = 180 hours) because "we need the coverage out of necessity".

"I didn't agree to this. At all. Can you at least bonus me for my extra work?"

"No. That's not in the budget. These are hard times and this is out of necessity. We expect you to be a team player."

Meanwhile, here comes EMBassador who lets me know that he's getting almost 2x my hourly rate, and won't work nights/weekends.

EmCare is pure evil. Pure. Evil. I treat them the same way they treated me. I will work for them still, but at a steep price and on my terms.

Reactions: 4 users
I did some part time locums that was just clinic during the week. Obviously, that didn't pay as well as also covering the ED at night (other ones I've done). There are tons of opportunities out there that may or may not fit with your individual situation and depending on where (how rural) you are willing to work. It is generally more advantageous to work directly with a hospital instead of going through one of the locums companies (especially EmCare), but hospitals sometimes contract with those companies and won't talk with individuals (and they always take a sometimes-very-large chunk off the top of what they are actually paying).

GTP, my friend, you are all over the place, or your SO is all over the place.

Not sure what your situation is (it seems to be ever-changing), but if you are moving to NYC you can probably find a job that will pay you 300k plus within the five boroughs. If that's not sufficient, sure, locums pays more.

But why would you ever sign up for EMbassador? Sounds like the worst job ever. They tell you where and when and how to work and make you travel. Miserable. Embassador undercuts salaries by ensuring a steady supply of scabs, obviating the need for locums and lowering salaries. You could just set up locums via one of the many locums companies out there in a more remunerative locale without such time and shift constraints and also negotiating a similar/better salary. Try Comphealth, Smart Physician etc. Tell them how much you are willing to work for, where, and what schedule you need, and where you are licensed and they will work with you.

Why would you ever do EMbassador. I don't know where your residency is, but they are really not helping you!

I should add that I did locums a year out of residency and it was GREAT. I learned all about different practice styles, different parts of the country, and different jobs. Really honed my skills and learned a ton.

If you want to staff EMCare sites, that's fine, do it by talking to the medical director or through a locums agency. Own your schedule. Don't sign a contract requiring you to pick up a certain amount of shifts. They want 3 more shifts out of you, make the bitches pay!

Don't join this program.

GTP = Emcare Embassador/TH Embassador/CMG Firefighter
Emergentmd = Pure locums who does his own IC work

GTP = $275/hr and gets the added bonus of
1. working in the worst places
2. Get bounced around at different sites, different charting system, different referrals
3. Gets plugged into weekend, holidays, nights, etc while getting to put in 7 days off a mont
4. Overworked b/c they are short docs and the swing shift just didn't get filled
5. Just got comfortable at a hospital but now gets moved to another crappy place without any control
6. You just sold all control you had for $275/hr
7. You are beholden to hospital metrics and likely meetings

emergentmd = Last yr made $350K working 710hrs. Made another 200K at FSEDs. I have never worked a locums shift for less than $275/hr in my life, and I would say 95% of my shifts are over 350/hr.
1. Work where I want and actually like my Locums place. Locums places I dislike, I just don't pick up shifts. I have turned down $650/hr gigs b/c these places sucked to bad.
2. One Charting system for the last 3 yrs.
3. I worked a total of 20 weekend days at Locums place last year. I was off 5 dys over Thanksgiving, 12 days over Christmas, off July 4th, Off easter, Off Memorial day. Off every holiday my kids were off. I had 4 months where I did not do a weekend shift.
4. I have complete control over my schedule.
5. I can work 5 days next month or 25 days. I have 20 shifts sitting in my email looking for coverage this month.
6. No metrics, no meetings.
7. I have worked next to people that were paid 1/2 my rate, and that includes the Embassadors.

Reactions: 3 users
Don't do it. Deceptive job, toxic personalities. Not worth it.

If you want to staff EMCare sites, that's fine, do it by talking to the medical director or through a locums agency. Own your schedule. Don't sign a contract requiring you to pick up a certain amount of shifts. They want 3 more shifts out of you, make the bitches pay!

Don't join this program.
Second this but would stress using the locums agency, not anyone at the site itself. I looked at doing locums work at an EMCare site when I first got out of residency. Found a decent rate through a locums agency online and decided to call the hospital direct to see if I could negotiate a better rate. They refused to even match the rate I found online. Obviously, didn't take the job.

TL;DR: If you HAVE to work at an EMCare hospital, don't talk to the hospital directly. They will pay you less than you'd make via the locums agency.

Wtf?

I thought that position paid like $330/hr. Even then...it was hard to sell as you could at that time (and probably still can) find a job that pays that if you want to travel to specific areas in the country.

$265 is horrible, horrible, horrible for locums. Just find a full time job you can travel to with a direct flight a work for blocks of time.

Remember, after sitting in airports, airplanes, and rental cars for hours if not days you have a wasted a bunch of time for almost no extra pay.

Sad to hear locums rates have declined...

I am still mystified as to why anyone would think this is a better deal than straight up locums...

Thanks for all the useful info guys. I didn't think this was better than all other locums, it's just what I have access to. I contacted a few places 2 weeks ago, and they are the ones I've heard back from. Others have mentioned blue locums and comphealth so I'll look into those. heard weatherby was okay too. Any other companies you guys can name would be nice too! Thanks all!!!

2. Get bounced around at different sites, different charting system, different referrals
3. Gets plugged into weekend, holidays, nights, etc while getting to put in 7 days off a mont
4. Overworked b/c they are short docs and the swing shift just didn't get filled
5. Just got comfortable at a hospital but now gets moved to another crappy place without any control

emergentmd = Last yr made $350K working 710hrs. Made another 200K at FSEDs. I have never worked a locums shift for less than $275/hr in my life, and I would say 95% of my shifts are over 350/hr.
1. Work where I want and actually like my Locums place. Locums places I dislike, I just don't pick up shifts. I have turned down $650/hr gigs b/c these places sucked to bad.
3. I worked a total of 20 weekend days at Locums place last year. I was off 5 dys over Thanksgiving, 12 days over Christmas, off July 4th, Off easter, Off Memorial day. Off every holiday my kids were off. I had 4 months where I did not do a weekend shift.
5. I can work 5 days next month or 25 days. I have 20 shifts sitting in my email looking for coverage this month.
7. I have worked next to people that were paid 1/2 my rate, and that includes the Embassadors.

Nice gig you got there, it'd be a real shame if something happened to it. EMcare and their "Embassadors" be like:

dr163k.jpg

I wanna terminate whoever came up with the name "Embassador." Are they marketing towards toddlers with that cutesy pantsy crap?

GTP, my friend, you are all over the place, or your SO is all over the place.

Not sure what your situation is (it seems to be ever-changing), but if you are moving to NYC you can probably find a job that will pay you 300k plus within the five boroughs. If that's not sufficient, sure, locums pays more.

But why would you ever sign up for EMbassador? Sounds like the worst job ever. They tell you where and when and how to work and make you travel. Miserable. Embassador undercuts salaries by ensuring a steady supply of scabs, obviating the need for locums and lowering salaries. You could just set up locums via one of the many locums companies out there in a more remunerative locale without such time and shift constraints and also negotiating a similar/better salary. Try Comphealth, Smart Physician etc. Tell them how much you are willing to work for, where, and what schedule you need, and where you are licensed and they will work with you.

Why would you ever do EMbassador. I don't know where your residency is, but they are really not helping you!

I should add that I did locums a year out of residency and it was GREAT. I learned all about different practice styles, different parts of the country, and different jobs. Really honed my skills and learned a ton.
My SO is all over the place. But the NYC thing is set as of yesterday since he just paid his school deposit to start in fall. There is an NYC position that I'm looking into as well. So just keeping all my options open. Thanks for the advice!

What locums places are you working for?

I didn't sign up with these guys. Just asking about them.

That post said "true blue locums". That is not an agency name. It was meant to refer to "old fashioned" locums.

My SO is all over the place. But the NYC thing is set as of yesterday since he just paid his school deposit to start in fall. There is an NYC position that I'm looking into as well. So just keeping all my options open. Thanks for the advice!

Having an SO that's all over the place is tough, wishing you strength. Sounds like your SO's other option was the Caribbean, no? So this is better, for sure. I agree the jobs in NYC aren't the best, and they all seem to want a ton of hours, although that might be not a bad choice for a first job. I'm seeing more and more folks working part time in NYC and then picking up locums shifts elsewhere. I'm also looking at jobs in NYC and at locums- feel free to PM me.

Having an SO that's all over the place is tough, wishing you strength. Sounds like your SO's other option was the Caribbean, no? So this is better, for sure. I agree the jobs in NYC aren't the best, and they all seem to want a ton of hours, although that might be not a bad choice for a first job. I'm seeing more and more folks working part time in NYC and then picking up locums shifts elsewhere. I'm also looking at jobs in NYC and at locums- feel free to PM me.

lol so you saw my post on that other thread. Yes no caribbean for us thank God. I just talked to comp health and the dude had some interesting things to say. There does seem to be a theme with these NYC gigs wanting a lot of hours. I really don't want to sign for 144 hours. In reality, Id probably work that 8 months out of the year. But I don't want it to be an expectation. I pmed you!

Good job, not signing up with a not-good job.

What's amazing is that the full-time job wouldn't be bad if they would take the money that they're using to pay the EmBassholes and up the hourly rate or improve provider coverage to begin with.

... but if they did that, they would have to somehow get by with less administrators working 10am to 4pm with 1-2 hour lunches.

What's amazing is that the full-time job wouldn't be bad if they would take the money that they're using to pay the EmBassholes and up the hourly rate or improve provider coverage to begin with.

... but if they did that, they would have to somehow get by with less administrators working 10am to 4pm with 1-2 hour lunches.
I'm not sure what you mean by it not being on the contract, this is a "firefighter" gig so working anywhere at the last second is the definition of the job.

Anyway, these CMG organized scab operations are going to be the death of locums I think. The whole point behind doing locums as a physician is that you are able to leverage flexibility and willingness to travel in exchange for really high hourly rates from sites that desperately need staffing. If the CMGs can recruit enough bodies for their scab-forces then they can always just staff those sites with people who agree to work anywhere, anytime for a paltry 20-30 more per hour than a regular full time doc would get. Say goodbye to those >250/hr opportunities once that happens.

God, I hope not. Why do people sign with these idiots? Such a bad gig.

Maybe I'm understanding this wrong. I thought the job OP was discussing is a gig where you agree to work for some CMG for a set hourly rate regardless of where you'll be sent or when, and that typically that set hourly rate is somewhat higher than a single-site rate with that CMG but much lower than some of the crazy high locums rates that have historically been obtainable. Vs a real locums job, you negotiate on a case by case basis and the sky is the limit on how high the hourly rates can get.

This seems like a pretty straightforward calculation to me. If sites can get staffed using CMG "firefighters" for <$250/hr, there will be fewer opportunities for bona fide locums doctors to get contracts for >$250/hr. Am I missing something here?

The bit that you're missing is that the "firefighters" aren't that numerous, yet; and we should keep it that way. I worked a shift for MECare last week for a flat 2k shift bonus. Hourly rate for that shift then maths out at 400/hour.

The bit that you're missing is that the "firefighters" aren't that numerous, yet; and we should keep it that way. I worked a shift for MECare last week for a flat 2k shift bonus. Hourly rate for that shift then maths out at 400/hour.
:eek: