eMCAT practice tests

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shinobiz11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, is there any point in buying all of the practice tests from the AAMC? I believe #11 is the closest one to the actual test (correct me if I'm wrong). So couldn't I just buy that one and use it for practice? I guess I just don't see a point in buying the other 7 tests, if one of them is the closest to the actual exam. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

More practice never hurts.

Did you only take one practice SAT? If your Orgo teacher gave you 10 past exams, would you only look at last year's?

If money is an issue, then buy the last 3-4.. since they are the most reflective of the current exam.. but not many resources better than the AAMC FLs, even the older ones.

Members don't see this ad :)
I never took the SAT :)

Okay, I was under the assumption that you can take the test multiple times and it has different questions each time. If thats not true, then this thread is pointless lol.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using SDN Mobile

I never took the SAT :)

Okay, I was under the assumption that you can take the test multiple times and it has different questions each time. If thats not true, then this thread is pointless lol.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using SDN Mobile

Nope! The test is an actual past exam. You can take it multiple times, but its the same questions.

I suggest buying all the AAMCs and the AAMC self assessment package. Start with the self-assessment, then work through the AAMCs from oldest (3) to newest (11).

Nope! The test is an actual past exam. You can take it multiple times, but its the same questions.

I suggest buying all the AAMCs and the AAMC self assessment package. Start with the self-assessment, then work through the AAMCs from oldest (3) to newest (11).

Gotcha! Already took #3, thanks for the advice.

They're all free online. At least that's what I've heard.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

They're all free online. At least that's what I've heard.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

This. Ye olde practice tests are floating around online in PDF format. They're labeled as 'R' tests. 3R and the free #3 at e-mcat are identical. The others weren't the same as the CBTs I used when I compared them side by side a few months back. I'd personally stick with the more costly CBTs just to be sure you're getting the real deal and the best practice instead of some random PDF torrent someone claims is the 'real' test. Wait, correction, I did do that, but only my .02.

And yes, buy as many of the AAMCs as you can. Best practice you can get. Pricey, but worth it.

This. Ye olde practice tests are floating around online in PDF format. They're labeled as 'R' tests. 3R and the free #3 at e-mcat are identical. The others weren't the same as the CBTs I used when I compared them side by side a few months back. I'd personally stick with the more costly CBTs just to be sure you're getting the real deal and the best practice instead of some random PDF torrent someone claims is the 'real' test. Wait, correction, I did do that, but only my .02.

And yes, buy as many of the AAMCs as you can. Best practice you can get. Pricey, but worth it.

Do the old ones contain passages that are not in the new ones? from what I know, the old mcat had more passages than the new one, so I'm wondering if the old 'R' tests contain unique passages that are not present in the newer CBT tests. I would greatly be interested in more AAMC passages, especially for verbal.

Do the old ones contain passages that are not in the new ones? from what I know, the old mcat had more passages than the new one, so I'm wondering if the old 'R' tests contain unique passages that are not present in the newer CBT tests. I would greatly be interested in more AAMC passages, especially for verbal.

Yea, they do have extra passages.

I think/assume that those extra passage as well as the passages from 'retired' AAMC FLs were released as the "Self-Assessment Package."

If you are looking for more verbal, you should definitely check that out. 100+ questions IIRC.

There were definitely extra passages in the R tests, since they were for the longer written exam version, but I also noticed they didn't have a number of the passages in the current CBTs I have access to. Plus, I've seen at least two different versions of all the R tests floating around, so I'm not sure which one to rely on. I'd agree that several of those passages likely made it to the self-assessment, but I haven't purchased that so don't take my word for it. If I had all the time in the world, I'd just do everything (nothing wrong with extra practice and all), but I'm sticking to the CBTs since I'm strapped for time.

Almost all of the passages on the R versions, that aren't still on the CBTs were used in the assessment packages.

So you're saying that all the passages on the CBTs and self assessments are on the R versions? Wow, the AAMC should put in more work and actually publish more practice materials for test takers instead of re-hashing practice tests they released 10+ years ago lol. MCAT is evolving, so they should work on providing new practice materials accordingly.

Are you 100% positive that the R passages has everything from BOTH the CBTs AND the self assessment packages?

Thanks alot for your input! :)

I would definitely recommend taking as many of the AAMC practice tests as you can. They are the best practice problems and are a good assement on what you will probably will get on the real thing +/- 2. I averaged around 33 on the practice tests and score 31 on my MCAT (I think I could have done better if wasn't super nervous).

Additionally, they are the BEST for verbal. I used ExamKrackers verbal and 101 passages and scored around 9s. But after doing AAMC practice tests, I was consistently getting 10-11s.

So you're saying that all the passages on the CBTs and self assessments are on the R versions? Wow, the AAMC should put in more work and actually publish more practice materials for test takers instead of re-hashing practice tests they released 10+ years ago lol. MCAT is evolving, so they should work on providing new practice materials accordingly.

Are you 100% positive that the R passages has everything from BOTH the CBTs AND the self assessment packages?

Thanks alot for your input! :)

I went back through and looked at the R exams I have. It's scattered, but a good chunk of it is there. Based on what other people have said, the assessment covers the other chunk. If not absolutely everything, it's certainly most. Not the exact formatting of the old practice tests, but certainly cheaper (well, free) if you're looking to save.

Buy them all. It's only ~$250 if you do. They are the absolute best resource available.

Word to the wise: one of my friends got all of the AAMC tests PLUS the Princeton Review's practice tests PLUS the full TPRH book package PLUS 3 hours of one-on-one tutoring with a Princeton Review instructor for like $600. He just signed up for the smallest MCAT tutoring package they offered, not for the tutoring, but because it just made financial sense with all that was involved with that package.