*Emergency advice sought regarding child care funds*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

s.mutans

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know what the guidelines are for child care fund requests. I am currently in shool and I assumed that school loan budgets could be increased if your spouse was working. The problem is I was the bread winner before school. My spouse is now working part time because of the difficulty of finding a job. and roughly is earning $700 a month. We have been declined the Financial aid loan budget increase and I am in deep trouble. Why did they not tell me this before I don't know. Should I use my rent money to pay for child care? Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I think approval for an increase in the annual budget is at the discretion of the financial aid office. I would ask them for the written guidelines for approving increased disbursements for childcare.

If you feel that you are really in trouble, you might want to go the dean of students. Explain your situation and that you cannot continue as a student due to your financial situation. The dean can probably pressure the financial aid office into approving an increase. At some schools it sometimes seems like the financial aid officers are giving you their own personal money and can be stingy with it.

By the way, if it wouldn't be an invasion of your privacy, could you please post the school so that other future students with children are aware of schools that tend to be less family friendly. If you feel uncomfortable about this, then don't feel you need to.

Best of luck...

Thanks for the input. I received more info by snail mail regarding the guideline I did not meet. I guess the spouse of the student must be working full-time to qualify for child care assistance. The question is wether 30 hours is full time or 40 hours? Well, thanks for the response.