1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Emergency appendectomy in rural locations

Discussion in 'Family Medicine' started by Jullman, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Jullman

Pre-Medical
    I was just curious if it was feasible/ethical for a family practitioner to perform an emergency surgery if the patients life is in danger and there is no way to transport the patient to a qualified surgeon. I.e. Rural Alaskan communities. Is there training available to practitioners planning to work in very rural locations for such an event?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. emedpa

emedpa GlobalDoc
    10+ Year Member

Post Doc
    ventura county teaches their fp residents how to do open appys(at least they used to).

4. MJB

MJB Senior Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think this would be a great skill to have but I've got to believe it's near impossible to teach open ally's anymore with how lap ally's are pretty much SOC.

Would be interested in knowing if anyone is doing it.

5. BrickHouseMD

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    There are actually a lot of surgeons going back to the open appy. Apparently there has been some literature that in some situations the open appy has better outcomes. You'd have to talk to a surgeon for the nitty gritty details of why and when.

6. MJB

MJB Senior Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Interesting, I just had mine done last week and it was attempted laparoscopic but he had to open.

My case alone would make me re-consider whether I wanted to think I knew how to do even this "routine" procedure.

Won't go into detail but let's just say weird anatomy and a less than ideal outcome thus far.

7. EdibleEgg

EdibleEgg Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    To answer the original question, yes. There are definitely occasions where this could be useful, but those occasions are rare. One of my former attendings operated for appy's, ectopics, etc on several occasions when she was in rural Alaska. There are several rural fellowships where you can get the training, but you have to be really dedicated, and the occasions to use the skills will be few and far between. The GP's of old did all of these procedures regularly after a year of internship.