Emergency appendectomy in rural locations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jullman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious if it was feasible/ethical for a family practitioner to perform an emergency surgery if the patients life is in danger and there is no way to transport the patient to a qualified surgeon. I.e. Rural Alaskan communities. Is there training available to practitioners planning to work in very rural locations for such an event?

Members don't see this ad.

ventura county teaches their fp residents how to do open appys(at least they used to).

I think this would be a great skill to have but I've got to believe it's near impossible to teach open ally's anymore with how lap ally's are pretty much SOC.

Would be interested in knowing if anyone is doing it.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are actually a lot of surgeons going back to the open appy. Apparently there has been some literature that in some situations the open appy has better outcomes. You'd have to talk to a surgeon for the nitty gritty details of why and when.

Interesting, I just had mine done last week and it was attempted laparoscopic but he had to open.

My case alone would make me re-consider whether I wanted to think I knew how to do even this "routine" procedure.

Won't go into detail but let's just say weird anatomy and a less than ideal outcome thus far.

To answer the original question, yes. There are definitely occasions where this could be useful, but those occasions are rare. One of my former attendings operated for appy's, ectopics, etc on several occasions when she was in rural Alaska. There are several rural fellowships where you can get the training, but you have to be really dedicated, and the occasions to use the skills will be few and far between. The GP's of old did all of these procedures regularly after a year of internship.