Emergency Decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bad virus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Earlier on in the process, I couldn't apply to any schools except my local state school due to serious financial reasons. Its explained in this thread.

Well, I just got a good load of cash today, and I can actually resubmit my app to these following schools, the question is would this be a stupid move because its so late in the application process? My stats are to the left and feel free to ask me anything.

Schools I want to submit to:

1. Albany Medical College
2. Tulane
3. Howard University
4. George Washington University
5. Jefferson medical college
6. University of Pittsburgh
7. St. Louis University
8. Temple
9. Morehouse

Schools I was considering but don't think I have a chance:

1. Duke
2. Penn State
3. Vanderbilt
4. Wash U
5. University of Michigan
6. Loyola medical college
7. UCLA/Drew
8. Drexel

I basically got approved for the fee assisstance program and can apply to 13 schools for free. Any advice would be appreciated. today is the deadline on many of them. Also, will it hurt my chance for reapplication?

Members don't see this ad.

Does this offer expire? Can you requalify for this program next year if you use it this year?

I'm no phd in med school applications, but this would put you at applying really late. If you can requalify for this program next year after using it this year, there is nothing to lose. If you would have to choose, I might wait and apply next year.

I understand you are financially disadvantaged, but you might consider taking out a loan for applications. You have good scores, so eventually you'll get in somewhere. Think about this in the long run. Right now you are barely getting by and I'm sure you don't want to take out a loan (or another based on your situation). However financially it might have been the smarter thing to do (depending on whether UNM accepts you). A $5000-$10,000 loan might be $50,000 by the time you can pay it off, but every year you merely "apply" to schools, you pass up a year post-residency of $250,000+ (depending on your specialty).

I don't know your total situation, but if you have to apply again next year, I would do whatever it takes to apply early and broadly. I've seen docs pay off $400,000 of debt after residency. Its very possible.

Does this offer expire? Can you requalify for this program next year if you use it this year?

I'm no phd in med school applications, but this would put you at applying really late. If you can requalify for this program next year after using it this year, there is nothing to lose. If you would have to choose, I might wait and apply next year.

I understand you are financially disadvantaged, but you might consider taking out a loan for applications. You have good scores, so eventually you'll get in somewhere. Think about this in the long run. Right now you are barely getting by and I'm sure you don't want to take out a loan (or another based on your situation). However financially it might have been the smarter thing to do (depending on whether UNM accepts you). A $5000-$10,000 loan might be $50,000 by the time you can pay it off, but every year you merely "apply" to schools, you pass up a year post-residency of $250,000+ (depending on your specialty).

I don't know your total situation, but if you have to apply again next year, I would do whatever it takes to apply early and broadly. I've seen docs pay off $400,000 of debt after residency. Its very possible.

Yes I can requalify for this program next year also, it all depends on my 1040 tax forms. I am just going to go ahead and apply to the whole lot of 13 schools. I was just worried that not getting in this year would hurt me if I reapply next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would send off the applications as soon as possible, along with a note to each school explaining the reason that you are applying so late. Given your stats and your URM status I think you have a solid chance of getting at least a few takers. If it gets you an extra three interviews and prevents you from having to repeat the process again in another year then it's worth every penny you'll spend.

I understand where TexasPhysician is coming from, but I wouldn't be comfortable with taking on so much debt before beginning your education/career. That's a personal choice.

Otherwise I agree.
If you can qualify for the FAP again next year, you've got nothing to lose this year. If you would lose it after using it this cycle and can choose instead to defer it to next year, wait. If you can neither qualify next year nor defer to next year, you've again got nothing to lose this cycle.

As for your choice of schools, I would add Loyola as you have a lot of volunteer experience. Supposedly they like that (correct me if I'm wrong, SDN). Also, you might want to add schools that are non-rolling. I'm not sure which on your list fall under that category.

Good luck!

Given your stats, I think that you have a shot, even this late in the season. You might even swap out one of the schools on your list for one of the "dream schools" -- in particular, you might want to choose one that is not 'rolling admissions'. These schools may be very interested in having someone with your background and academic achievement in the class.

If you end up having to apply next year, you'll need to show that you improved your application in the 7 mos between this application and next June (for God's sake, be ready to launch in June if you need to). That could be through an additional science course taken for enrichment, a clinical exposure, an interesting research experience, a leadership position, a publication, etc.

Man, great advice guys. I am pretty sure I will qualify for the FAP next year also, based on my w2 from this year and my family income.

I guess I am just going to shoot it out to 13 of the schools.

I was just worried that not getting in this year would hurt me if I reapply next year.

Yeah, it will. But you are going to be a reapplicant anyhow if you already applied to your state school. As Lizzy mentioned, as a reapplicant you have to show substantial improvement since the prior cycle to get comparable consideration. So it's a higher standard. Would have been best for you not to apply anywhere until your ship came in. This process benefits those who apply once with all your ducks in a row.

I think the real question on everyones mind is how big was this load of cash you got? :)

SEND SEND SEND! If you don't get into an amazing school I would REAPPLY!

You have AMAZING numbers AND URM status! You can EASILY land a top 10 school if you had applied early. Still, even now, you should get into a top notch school. If you DONT, then I would reapply early, you DEFINITELY HAVE A VERY STRONG application.