Emergency med training for IMGs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imgyg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Anyone know anything about getting on the training scheme for EM as an IMG? I've been on the website but can't figure it out from there. Do you need to be resident/citizen of Aus and is it competitive etc?

Any help is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

Anyone know anything about getting on the training scheme for EM as an IMG? I've been on the website but can't figure it out from there. Do you need to be resident/citizen of Aus and is it competitive etc?

Any help is appreciated.
It's currently not too competitive, but EM could become competitive with the flood of medical students over these last few years up till now, once more people have to come to a decision about which specialty they'll do and start applying for reg jobs. Reg is where the biggest bottleneck seems like it will be. There's no official selection process for EM, you essentially have to get the DEMT's recommendation to register as a trainee. Then during your basic training you have to sit and pass your primary exams (i.e. the writtens and vivas for anatomy, physiology, pharmacology and pathology) in order to progress. Different hospitals will have different lengths of contracts too so that's another consideration. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
So I get an EM job and then ask the DEMT to put me on the scheme?