Emergency Medicine 2013-2014 Residency Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I didn't match...

US MD steps 242/235, 2 HPs in 2 EM rotations home and away.

Interviewed at 9, ranked 9. Got a phone call from residents at one program that they're "thinking of me".

Don't know what happened.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't match...

Interviewed at 9, ranked 9. Got a phone call from residents at one program that they're "thinking of me".

Sorry to hear it man, that freakin sucks. Whats your game plan?

Matched!!!

Whats with all the open spots this year. That seems really high considering how many places told me they were receiving record high applications

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hear it man, that freakin sucks. Whats your game plan?

Already applied to the open EM programs. Applied to all open anesthesia programs as well; I hoped it wouldn't come to this but I think I could be happy as an anesthesiologist.

Already applied to the open EM programs. Applied to all open anesthesia programs as well; I hoped it wouldn't come to this but I think I could be happy as an anesthesiologist.
Good luck.

I didn't match...

sorry man, hope you get EM or anesthesia!

Congrats to everyone that matched! Now we just have to wait for Friday, good luck you guys.

Pretty weird about the unfilled spots. None in my neck of the woods, but strange overall.

I didn't match...

Too bad, man. Hope it works out.

Must be a super competitive match. Sounds like you had a solid app.

Rumor on the interview trail was that there would be open spots due to so many people doing 15, 20, and 25 interviews. Programs were interviewing the same people, and there were some programs who expected a decent amount of spots to be available in the SOAP.

Too bad, man. Hope it works out.

Must be a super competitive match. Sounds like you had a solid app.

My school was pretty worried about the situation. A number of solid EM candidates like him had only interviewed at 6-8 places, and expected that to be enough. Haven't heard of any unfortunate outcomes YET. I hope things work out for him! This is all such a crapshoot.

I'm very thankful to have matched today. Congrats to fellow matchers and best wishes to all those getting SOAPy this week.

Reactions: 1 user
My school was pretty worried about the situation. A number of top EM candidates like him had only interviewed at 6-8 places, and expected that to be enough. I hope things work out for him! This is all such a crapshoot.
It's not always that clear-cut about who is a "top EM candidate." Letters count as much/more in some places as board scores, once the scores are at least average. Going on 6-8 interviews in EM is playing Russian Roulette. Additionally, I believe the unmatched poster above (who went on 9) may have previously posted about NOT waiving his right to read his SLOR. I was always told that was a major no-no, plus raises the question about why such anxiety about the content. Not kicking someone when he's down.....hope he matches in SOAP, where those scores should certainly get someone's attention.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe the unmatched poster above (who went on 9) may have previously posted about NOT waiving his right to read his SLOR. I was always told that was a major no-no, plus raises the question about why such anxiety about the content. Not kicking someone when he's down.....hope he matches in SOAP, where those scores should certainly get someone's attention.

You are correct. This was the post in question
For one of my SLOEs I did NOT waive my right to see it and it has been uploaded to ERAS cause I wanted to check that one out. I assumed that I could then see the letter on ERAS, but it doesn't look like I can. Do I have to get the letter from the letter writer, or is there a way to see it on ERAS?

I'm amazed that this would have such an impact (assuming of course that this is the reason). Either way, I hope LaCasta finds something he/she wants in the SOAP.

It's not always that clear-cut about who is a "top EM candidate." Letters count as much/more in some places as board scores, once the scores are at least average. Going on 6-8 interviews in EM is playing Russian Roulette. Additionally, I believe the unmatched poster above (who went on 9) may have previously posted about NOT waiving his right to read his SLOR. I was always told that was a major no-no, plus raises the question about why such anxiety about the content. Not kicking someone when he's down.....hope he matches in SOAP, where those scores should certainly get someone's attention.

My home EM PD was advising me through the SOAP this morning. He looked through my application again and said there were no red flags. He said my application was not excellent, but not terrible, right in the middle of the road per his words. The letter that I chose to waive my right to not read was an individual SLOR I got at the end of October. I waived it cause the guy said he barely worked with me, so I wanted to make sure it was decent. I didn't send that letter to the programs I already got invited to, which were 8/9 of the places I ranked.

Looking back, the main weaknesses in my application: Taking Step 2 in late November, no EM ECs, no EM research. Probably average/not great SLORs from my home/away EM rotations (although I had positive comments on my school evaluations which I could see). I knew I wasn't the best applicant, but was pretty confident I was good enough to match.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments and well wishes :)

My home EM PD was advising me through the SOAP this morning. He looked through my application again and said there were no red flags. He said my application was not excellent, but not terrible, right in the middle of the road per his words. The letter that I chose to waive my right to not read was an individual SLOR I got at the end of October. I waived it cause the guy said he barely worked with me, so I wanted to make sure it was decent. I didn't send that letter to the programs I already got invited to, which were 8/9 of the places I ranked.

Looking back, the main weaknesses in my application: Taking Step 2 in late November, no EM ECs, no EM research. Probably average/not great SLORs from my home/away EM rotations (although I had positive comments on my school evaluations which I could see). I knew I wasn't the best applicant, but was pretty confident I was good enough to match.

Since I have a similar Step 1 to LaCasta and was planning on taking Step 2 around mid-October, could someone comment on this?

I have multiple aways I'm trying to set up and would either have to take Step 2 very early (June) or in mid-October. I guess I could take before then, but it would be on a weekend during a possible sub-I/away rotation.

Any tips? If I feel like I may score +15-20 points higher with better prep, is it better to take in June or October.

I personally would NEVER suggest to someone to wait til late to take Step 2 anymore but that's just me. I know the traditional spiel is that if your Step 1 is good you don't want to ruin it with a lower Step 2 and there "may" be some truth to that but with the number of PDs that I have heard say they prefer a "fully complete application" (ie, at least 2 SLOEs, both Steps, etc) before offering invites I say "Why risk it?" Others may see it differently but the programs want to know there is nothing hanging out there that could go wrong so why deny them of that? I mean, they make the choices of who gets invites so it seems logical that you would want to give them what they want when they want it which is a complete app on the day the application cycle opens.

Reactions: 1 users
Since I have a similar Step 1 to LaCasta and was planning on taking Step 2 around mid-October, could someone comment on this?

I have multiple aways I'm trying to set up and would either have to take Step 2 very early (June) or in mid-October. I guess I could take before then, but it would be on a weekend during a possible sub-I/away rotation.

Any tips? If I feel like I may score +15-20 points higher with better prep, is it better to take in June or October.

You don't need to take it sooner. Focus on getting your 3+ SLORs in on time. My step scores were incredibly similar to LaCasta, and I also took step 2 in Nov without a problem today.

EDIT: after reading QuackaDO's post I just wanted to add that I have no experience with a PD saying this to me. That certainly doesn't mean that this doesn't happen. All I can say is that I had my step 1 in and 4 letters (2 SLORs 2 other letters) very early and I got interviews at most places I applied. The places that rejected me did so late in the season and well after my step 2 was in, so I don't think that made a huge difference.

Thanks for both replies. I do feel like I can boost my score 15-20 points by waiting, hence the dilemma.

Thanks for both replies. I do feel like I can boost my score 15-20 points by waiting, hence the dilemma.

You will never remember the material better than just after you've finished your clerkships. If you can prep during clerkships or get a week or 2 off to study, I'd do it early.

Wanted to post this as inspiration for those that may have had a rough road of medical school. Some here will instantly know who I am, but my hope is that it will help others to not lose hope and go for what you want to do (though one should always be realistic and plan accordingly)

Here's my app:

- older non-trad who goes to a well-known MD program, FWIW
-203/220 Steps
-ALL Passes for clerkships with exception of two HP's (one of which was an away EM rotation; home EM program was P/F)
-Bottom 1/3 of class
-some decent non-EM research (1st author on a couple of studies)
-good to great letters according to those with whom I interviewed
-LOTS of good (and really meaningful) EC leadership
-Great pre-med school EMS experiences
-Dean STRONGLY advised trying for Family Med instead of EM

Applied to 54, interview invites at 13, interviewed at 12, ranked 11

Just matched EM.

I don't recommend the path I took, but believe it or not, I worked hard and just kept fighting. For those of you in a similar boat, you can do this, just do what you can with what you've got and keep on going.

Good luck to everyone on Friday and to those who have this road ahead of them still.

Reactions: 3 users
LaCasta - I might be nitpicking, but it looks to me like the drop in step scores could have been a red flag. Otherwise everything does look good! I have a good feeling you'll find something in SOAP! i did a gas rotation earlier this year and I think it's a great specialty if you enjoy it.

I met at least 7 or 8 people on the interview trail that had gone on 15+ interviews by early December and had like 10+ left to go. These obviously stellar candidates likely did not need to attend that many interviews to match. I wouldn't be surprised if that contributed to the large number of open spots. I doubt that a first year program would have more than 6-8 spots.

Going on 6-8 interviews in EM is playing Russian Roulette.
I would disagree with this as a universal statement. There are obviously situations where this is true, but as a general rule I think its very reasonable, if you understand and take advantage of your application, to apply to and interview (rank) that many programs provided they are programs you really "Fit" with and would attend. I personally declined several interviews going on only 6 and matched fine. I think not understanding who you are in terms of your application is playing russian roulette. Sounds like semantics but its an important distinction. I know lots of people who applied to 50+ programs of at least half they had no shot of an interview. Making wise choices is much more impacting than the number of interviews you attend. Just my experience and 0.5 cents.

You don't need to take it sooner. Focus on getting your 3+ SLORs in on time. My step scores were incredibly similar to LaCasta, and I also took step 2 in Nov without a problem today.

I would also disagree with this. It goes back to my original point above, but you dont need 3+ SLOR. You need two honest SLOR. Its all about making your application tell the true story of who you are. More and more programs are looking for "fit" and the "total person" and if you can understand that and apply that to your entire application and road to residency you will go a lot further than trying to overload your app with praise. Take it early and do your best. Programs are looking at step 2 more and more importantly as well. Its the old bird in the hand argument really. Will the time give you 15-20+ points? Who knows. IS it worth waiting to take it? For what its worth, I say no. I've also personally heard several PDs (including several places I interviewed) say the same (Quack's post earlier).

Wanted to post this as inspiration for those that may have had a rough road of medical school.

My app was very, very similar to 5IF's. Less (no) research, a bit higher board scores and a career before med school. I find being non-trad was a tremendous advantage and benefit in my interviews and application, but wanted to agree with his post and add my anecdotal expereince to it as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Wanted to post this as inspiration for those that may have had a rough road of medical school. Some here will instantly know who I am, but my hope is that it will help others to not lose hope and go for what you want to do (though one should always be realistic and plan accordingly)

Here's my app:

-203/220 Steps
-ALL Passes for clerkships with exception of two HP's (one of which was an away EM rotation; home EM program was P/F)
-Bottom 1/3 of class

Just matched EM.

I don't recommend the path I took, but believe it or not, I worked hard and just kept fighting. For those of you in a similar boat, you can do this, just do what you can with what you've got and keep on going.

Good luck to everyone on Friday and to those who have this road ahead of them still.

Congrats. Great story.

you dont need 3+ SLOR. You need two honest SLOR.
I agree with this completely. I misspoke when I wrote 3+ SLORs. I meant to say you need your 3+ letters in, with 2 of them being SLORs (which is what I had as I mentioned above). The reason for this 3+ is that I saw several people this season (both in person and stories on SDN) not getting many interviews early on with the one common thread being that each of those applicants only had 1 or 2 letters submitted.

I agree with this completely. I misspoke when I wrote 3+ SLORs. I meant to say you need your 3+ letters in, with 2 of them being SLORs (which is what I had as I mentioned above). The reason for this 3+ is that I saw several people this season (both in person and stories on SDN) not getting many interviews early on with the one common thread being that each of those applicants only had 1 or 2 letters submitted.

Yep, I agree. Get 2 SLORs, but get them early and on time. I was late with one, and although I matched, I didn't get interviews at a handful of places I had hoped most likely because I had 3 letters in on time, but didn't get the 4th letter (second SLOR) in until later.

After my experience, I would have taken Step 2 super early, feel like I would have gotten more interviews.

Here's my app:

-203/220 Steps
-Bottom 1/3 of class

Just matched EM.

You're basically my Match twin. My Steps are strikingly similar, and my rotations were P/HP, and was bottom 1/4, AND was told to think about a backup as well. Thought seriously about quitting medical school on a variety of occasions. It destroyed my confidence, a relationship or two, and I was very unhappy. Then I met my SO.

I'm a traditional/straight-through kid, but I had great letters (apparently), TONS of leadership and volunteer experience, and a few research projects and a publication. Applied to 90+ (couples match is fun), interviewed 14, ranked 10 in a Couples match. Now matched, would be happy ANYWHERE I ranked! I'm looking forward to leaving the past 4 years behind me, and found my redemption of sorts.

Personality matters a TON. Have hope, those of you who get reamed by NBMEs but have great evals or letters or extracurriculars. EM programs really do give a **** about the *whole* applicant.

Good luck to you, brother! And to anyone else in our boat of med school mediocrity! The road is tough, but keep the faith.

You're basically my Match twin. My Steps are strikingly similar, and my rotations were P/HP, and was bottom 1/4, AND was told to think about a backup as well. Thought seriously about quitting medical school on a variety of occasions. It destroyed my confidence, a relationship or two, and I was very unhappy. Then I met my SO.

I'm a traditional/straight-through kid, but I had great letters (apparently), TONS of leadership and volunteer experience, and a few research projects and a publication. Applied to 90+ (couples match is fun), interviewed 14, ranked 10 in a Couples match. Now matched, would be happy ANYWHERE I ranked! I'm looking forward to leaving the past 4 years behind me, and found my redemption of sorts.

Personality matters a TON. Have hope, those of you who get reamed by NBMEs but have great evals or letters or extracurriculars. EM programs really do give a **** about the *whole* applicant.

Good luck to you, brother! And to anyone else in our boat of med school mediocrity! The road is tough, but keep the faith.

Also wanted to chime in as inspiration for those that have had it rough -- and congrats to all those who matched!

Here's my app:

Stacking against me:
- IMG
- 216/226 Steps
- very little research and it was non-EM
- very little extracurriculars
- had to take a year off
- my dean strongly discouraged me several times from pursuing EM and insisted that I have backups (I didn't)

What I had going for me:
- HP in all clerkships except for honors in surgery
- fantastic letters and SLOE
- five away rotations in EM in which I did very well
- a killer personal statement (at least I'd like to think so :p)

Applied to 90+, interview invites at 7, interviewed at 7, ranked 7

Matched EM, and I still can't believe it. I kept checking my email to make sure it wasn't a mistake.

Some programs threw my application out just based on the fact that I'm an IMG. If I had schmoozed more and attended ACEP or SAEM, maybe I would have landed more interviews because once people get to know me, they like me. If you are not a terrible person and a solid doctor, for those of you who want EM but don't think you "have what it takes" in this competitive field, get yourself exposed as much as possible. There are plenty of programs who look at the ENTIRE person. Get your foot in the door however you can, and don't let your scores or where you go to school hold you back.

Good luck to everyone on Friday, and congrats to everyone who made it!

Reactions: 3 users
Also wanted to chime in as inspiration for those that have had it rough -- and congrats to all those who matched!

Here's my app:

Stacking against me:
- IMG
- 216/226 Steps
- very little research and it was non-EM
- very little extracurriculars
- had to take a year off
- my dean strongly discouraged me several times from pursuing EM and insisted that I have backups (I didn't)

What I had going for me:
- HP in all clerkships except for honors in surgery
- fantastic letters and SLOE
- five away rotations in EM in which I did very well
- a killer personal statement (at least I'd like to think so :p)

Applied to 90+, interview invites at 7, interviewed at 7, ranked 7

Matched EM, and I still can't believe it. I kept checking my email to make sure it wasn't a mistake.

Some programs threw my application out just based on the fact that I'm an IMG. If I had schmoozed more and attended ACEP or SAEM, maybe I would have landed more interviews because once people get to know me, they like me. If you are not a terrible person and a solid doctor, for those of you who want EM but don't think you "have what it takes" in this competitive field, get yourself exposed as much as possible. There are plenty of programs who look at the ENTIRE person. Get your foot in the door however you can, and don't let your scores or where you go to school hold you back.

Good luck to everyone on Friday, and congrats to everyone who made it!

Nice work.

Did not match.

I'm a DO in the top 10% of my class. 260+ both steps, 720+ both comlex. At least 1 solid SLOR, 1 that maybe isn't so good. The 1st SLOR was uploaded late (end of October). No other real red flags besides SLOR issues.

I applied to 45 ACGME programs, primarily in the west and midwest. Received 3 interviews early on and then it was just rejection after rejection. Was able to snag 3 more interviews due to cancellations. Interviewed and ranked all 6.

I had originally applied to 10 AOA programs as well. When I started receiving the ACGME interviews, I thought it an auspicious start, and, since I liked the locations for the ACGME programs more, I withdrew my AOA application.

Not sure what happened. Faculty at my school seem confused that I seemed to have 'flown under the radar.' In any case, I'm now enjoying the perks of the SOAP and am grateful that I don't have to do the ol' fashioned scramble. We'll see what happens...

Bedlam I'm so sorry to hear that. Sounds like you're an awesome applicant so I'm sure you'll land one of these soap spots!

Did not match.

I'm a DO in the top 10% of my class. 260+ both steps, 720+ both comlex. At least 1 solid SLOR, 1 that maybe isn't so good. The 1st SLOR was uploaded late (end of October). No other real red flags besides SLOR issues.

I applied to 45 ACGME programs, primarily in the west and midwest. Received 3 interviews early on and then it was just rejection after rejection. Was able to snag 3 more interviews due to cancellations. Interviewed and ranked all 6.

I had originally applied to 10 AOA programs as well. When I started receiving the ACGME interviews, I thought it an auspicious start, and, since I liked the locations for the ACGME programs more, I withdrew my AOA application.

Not sure what happened. Faculty at my school seem confused that I seemed to have 'flown under the radar.' In any case, I'm now enjoying the perks of the SOAP and am grateful that I don't have to do the ol' fashioned scramble. We'll see what happens...

Wow man sorry, likely the late SLOR. Hopefully youll nab one of the soap spots.

:)Matched! Officially joining the online community after years of lurking

I was able to SOAP into one of the EM spots!!!

After considering, radiology, anesthesiology and surgery positions, I feel like I am meant to become an EM physician!

Reactions: 20 users

After considering, radiology, anesthesiology and surgery positions, I feel like I am meant to become an EM physician!

Congrats and welcome!

Congratulations!! I'm sure the last couple of days have been absolute chaos for you but what an awesome outcome!

Congratulations bro. I've been rooting for you!

:)Matched! Officially joining the online community after years of lurking

Welcome to the internet! There is much to see, do, and angrily comment upon.

Congrats!

Awesome! Good to hear.

Very Nice!! Congrats!!