Emergency Medicine 2014-2015 Residency Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any IMG has interviews so far ? I didn't hear anything expect rejections and it is getting to my nerves

Nope, same here. I am trying not to think about it but it's kind of frustrating:/

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
That's funny...most of my interviews so far are Mon/Wed/Fri. One Tuesday. I think basically every day but Sunday is an option somewhere...

Haha actually I happen to have a Sunday interview scheduled...

Anyone cancel an interview yet? What's the protocol, email/phone? Kinda feel like a jerk it's 10 days away, but what can you do

Members don't see this ad :)
2 questions for you guys:

1) will be getting my first sloe hopefully within the week. Would you guys recommend sending an "update" email to programs? Or wait 3-4 weeks when my second sloe should come in

2) interview emails coming from PD's, is it expected that I reply by email even though scheduling is done by a link or another person?

2 questions for you guys:

1) will be getting my first sloe hopefully within the week. Would you guys recommend sending an "update" email to programs? Or wait 3-4 weeks when my second sloe should come in

2) interview emails coming from PD's, is it expected that I reply by email even though scheduling is done by a link or another person?

1) if I were you, I'd send an update email/call...the lack of a SLOE may have your application on hold...so it will prompt them to look at it again

2) I just email the coordinator with a thank you and the date, or just use the interview broker...no emails to PDs

Haha actually I happen to have a Sunday interview scheduled...

I withdraw my original statement! I didn't think anywhere would be providing Sunday interviews...probably a smart thing to do, though, considering it's pretty rare and that means fewer date/scheduling conflicts...

I wish all programs used Interview Broker.

...just saying, to any PDs out there already thinking about next year's interview season.

alright guys. So I received a couple of interviews the first week of Oct. I didn't have any SLOEs in at the time. My friend wasn't getting any interviews the first week. I added 2 SLOEs early last week and have heard nothing but crickets since, but my friend is getting at least 1 interview a day now. I would also say that I am a more competitive applicant overall than she is. How likely is it that the interviews stopped for me because of a bad SLOE??

Members don't see this ad :)
alright guys. So I received a couple of interviews the first week of Oct. I didn't have any SLOEs in at the time. My friend wasn't getting any interviews the first week. I added 2 SLOEs early last week and have heard nothing but crickets since, but my friend is getting at least 1 interview a day now. I would also say that I am a more competitive applicant overall than she is. How likely is it that the interviews stopped for me because of a bad SLOE??

Probably pretty unlikely unless you can think of reasons why the SLOE wouldn't be so hot. I doubt most bad SLOEs just blindside someone, methinks most people know it's going to be a bad SLOE. I would say the disparity in interview invites between you and your friend probably depends on where you both applied and where she is getting interviews. If you're waiting to hear from Carolinas/Denver/etc. while she is getting invites at lesser known programs, it's not a situation I would stress over. If the opposite, who knows? This process seems pretty random so far..

Good luck everyone. Looking forward to meeting some of you in the fall

Reactions: 2 users
I am still sitting at 5 invites and I feel like I am getting really close to my freak-out point.

3 Invites. Officially freaking out.

Have had my 2 SLOEs and 1 LOR from EM in since 9/14. Reasonable/average everything else. EM research. (NOT SDN average of 250s, I should note).

Not sure where I went wrong. Just hearing crickets + 1 rejection from a reach school that I had no area ties to. Applied to >30 programs.

3 Invites. Officially freaking out.

Have had my 2 SLOEs and 1 LOR from EM in since 9/14. Reasonable/average everything else. EM research. (NOT SDN average of 250s, I should note).

Not sure where I went wrong. Just hearing crickets + 1 rejection from a reach school that I had no area ties to. Applied to >30 programs.

Try not to. I'm in the same boat as you and I have the same number of invites. I have called some programs and I know for a fact that some JUST (and I mean like as of late last week, beginning of this week) started looking at applications. I think a lot of people are still getting prepped for ACEP. Try to hang in there!! (as I'm telling myself the same thing)

Try not to. I'm in the same boat as you and I have the same number of invites. I have called some programs and I know for a fact that some JUST (and I mean like as of late last week, beginning of this week) started looking at applications. I think a lot of people are still getting prepped for ACEP. Try to hang in there!! (as I'm telling myself the same thing)

Thank you and good luck to you too. I find myself cheerleading for other friends in the same boat while I feel like I'm drowning. I'm very happy for the people who are getting lots of invites, please don't get me wrong. It's just that this is nerve wracking and I needed to vent.

Thank you and good luck to you too. I find myself cheerleading for other friends in the same boat while I feel like I'm drowning. I'm very happy for the people who are getting lots of invites, please don't get me wrong. It's just that this is nerve wracking and I needed to vent.

I completely understand. I feel the same way.

Embrace the uncertainty; appreciate the wins.

Or that's what I tell myself anyway.

I wrote a "what are my chances" private message and had to delete it because I felt like I was getting into the bad habit of resisting and trying to Control the uncontrollable. (shout out to Hoot, my intended recipient)

Reactions: 2 users
To everyone freaking out about their numbers.. just another data point for you. By this date last year I had 5 interview offers. By the end of Oct I had 13. ACEP was later this year than it was last year. For the vast, vast majority of you, this is gonna be just fine.

Reactions: 1 users
To everyone freaking out about their numbers.. just another data point for you. By this date last year I had 5 interview offers. By the end of Oct I had 13. ACEP was later this year than it was last year. For the vast, vast majority of you, this is gonna be just fine.
Well here is to hoping my interview invitations come along in the same fashion yours did. The whole "send out invites after ACEP" thing I am beginning to doubt since November 1 seems late for the "majority" of programs to send their invitations.

After doing well at an away rotation at a "top program" and receiving great feedback, what're the chances that they wouldn't call you back for an interview? The eval I received seems to indicate I was a good fit for the program but after seeing that other SDN members have gotten invites while I haven't, I'm wondering if I just need to wait it out longer or if maybe I didn't do so well? Has anyone been in this situation?

Last edited:
After doing well at an away rotation at a "top program" and receiving great feedback, what're the chances that they wouldn't call you back for an interview? The eval I received seems to indicate I was a good fit for the program but after seeing that other SDN members have gotten invites while I haven't, I'm wondering if I just need to wait it out longer or if maybe I didn't do so well? Has anyone been in this situation?

I was in this boat for like a week. Saw others getting invites.. then mine arrived.

Just wait it out, it's coming

I was in this boat for like a week. Saw others getting invites.. then mine arrived.

Just wait it out, it's coming

Good to hear. 2+ weeks and counting now

Edit:

Last edited:
Is it true that PDs give out interviews at acep? Im considering going if this is true

Received my USMLE Step 2 CK score today. Should I send out emails to residency programs to notify them about this update to my ERAS application?

Thanks

Received my USMLE Step 2 CK score today. Should I send out emails to residency programs to notify them about this update to my ERAS application?

Thanks

Maybe to ones you are super interested in?

hopefully next week is a big week for everyone

Last edited:

Thanks
No
Maybe to ones you are super interested in?
...and No.

They'll get the update on their own. If they're using the old system it will appear in your file next time they log on. If they're using the new web-based system, it apparently gets pushed to them when available (but I don't know that for certain). No need for an email.

Has anyone written the "Hey Program X, I'm still interested in your program and wanted to let you know even though it's late in the cycle now and im antsy while everyone around me is telling me to still be patient" E-Mail? If so...any success?

Has anyone written the "Hey Program X, I'm still interested in your program and wanted to let you know even though it's late in the cycle now and im antsy while everyone around me is telling me to still be patient" E-Mail? If so...any success?
From what I've heard the best time period to start that type of email would be late oct/ early November, aka after the acep conference.

From what I've heard the best time period to start that type of email would be late oct/ early November, aka after the acep conference.

I've heard the same from last year's advice, but given the later date of ACEP I figured at least a few people have tried already...maybe

Seeing as it's literally TWO WEEKS in from MSPE letters going out... if you want to seem like a desperate crazy person, then go right ahead. Otherwise, I'd give it another month.

I guess I am in freak out mode now. Applied 9/16, have only received an auto-generated response from one program. Called ERAS and they said everything looks okay from their end (fees accepted, LORs assigned and uploaded, programs selected etc) and my medical school said the same thing. Guess I better get ready for the SOAP. No invites, no rejections so far.

I guess I am in freak out mode now. Applied 9/16, have only received an auto-generated response from one program. Called ERAS and they said everything looks okay from their end (fees accepted, LORs assigned and uploaded, programs selected etc) and my medical school said the same thing. Guess I better get ready for the SOAP. No invites, no rejections so far.

You're going to have a hard time as an Independent Applicant without an EM-oriented application. Have you had someone review your list?

And SOAPing into EM is a poor option. There have been recent years with 0 unfilled positions, although more breathing room recently. However, if you don't have an EM-oriented application, it would a uphill battle to SOAP into one.

Last edited:

What pk said. Think I found your problem, which is unique and shouldn't stress out more traditional EM applicants.

I know there are plenty of threads about switching out, but I thought I needed to create a new thread to get some personal advice, and also to clear the air and accept my future.

I applied to orthopaedics after graduating medical school from a US med school and did not match. I accepted a preliminary surgery position far from home, and went through the match again, applying to both ortho and general surgery. I matched into general surgery at the program in which I did my preliminary year.

Now, as a PGY-2 general surgery resident (3rd year total, prelim 1, then categorical PGY-1), I have decided I do not want to do general surgery. I thought I could love general as I did ortho, but it simply was not the same and I am not happy. I did the work, covered my assigned calls, but it was simply an unfulfilling job for me. I talked to my program director and I will not be completing surgery there as a PGY-3.

What are my options other than finding random position openings? I know that the SOAP process is different (I did the old scramble) in such that only ERAS registered people can fill the unfilled residency spots until all of the SOAP cycles are complete. My dean from my medical school said that after 5 PM on Friday of Match Week, any unfilled residency spots become available to non ERAS registered people.

What are my options? My PD and faculty here are 100% behind me (a huge sigh of relief) in terms of using their contacts to help secure a spot in something I see myself doing (radiology, anesthesia, PM&R, EM). Am I more or less just picking up random programs at this point?

Also, unless I find a spot to initially transition into for July 1 2014, I am assuming my next best option is to go through the 2014 match progress while continuing to seek out available positions that open up from residency drop out/transfers. Are there any other recommendations?

Posted using SDN Mobile

I am in the same situation as well. I mean no interviews and 6 rejections. Are you IMG? Hope ACEP will be a nice opportunity to meet PDs

Because I have to multi task and the interviews for me have been few ... I have been looking at stats. I was comparing NRMP and ERAS and...
In 2014 according to ERAS there were 4101 applicants in emergency medicine(2719 being US seniors). NRMP had only 2322 that tried to match(1566 being US seniors). Does this mean that people didn't try to match because of lack of interviews, or lack of dedication to the specialty?

Just food for thought. Also, the avg # of applications was 32.4. Thats 132k applications for 1786 spots at 165 programs. That comes to 805 applications on average per institution, 74 applications for every slot. On average a program needs to rank 6.3 applicants per position to fill.

Anyway I lost where I was going with this. It was meant to be a pick me showing how so many people lose interest and cancel interviews...but turned into a against the odds sort of post.

Carry On....

In 2014 according to ERAS there were 4101 applicants in emergency medicine(2719 being US seniors). NRMP had only 2322 that tried to match(1566 being US seniors).

4101? Last I checked it was about half that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't think I am.

Is it OK to just decline an interview via Interview Broker? Or should I also email the coordinator?

IMG here. GPA 3.78, step 1/step 2 ck 231/240, 2 SLOEs in on 09/16, along with one ICU LOR. applied to 65 programs. going to ACEP. have not received a single interview yet. luckily, I applied to IM as a backup. it has now become clear to me that I most likely won't become an EM doc; my SLOEs are probably the culprit. I probably will get 2-3 interviews in November. but my understanding is that one should have at least 3-4 before November. oh well, good luck to all of you. EM is such a cool gig. I don't even know why I should bother with ACEP or bother to bust my ass in this current EM rotation....

And this makes a total of 6 rejections this week. FML. I am thankful to have 7 ACGME interviews so far, especially as a DO. Getting a string of rejections every day though is exhausting. It is hard being encouraging for others when on the inside you feel like you're screwed. Trying not to imagine the awkward "I didn't match this year, but congratulations to you." conversation. Logically, it's only been two weeks since the MSPE came out. Even though ACEP is later this year, I won't start full on freak out mode until November 1st. Even still, I think I will pull out of the DO match with 7 interviews. Time to find some booze.

And this makes a total of 6 rejections this week. FML. I am thankful to have 7 ACGME interviews so far, especially as a DO. Getting a string of rejections every day though is exhausting. It is hard being encouraging for others when on the inside you feel like you're screwed. Trying not to imagine the awkward "I didn't match this year, but congratulations to you." conversation. Logically, it's only been two weeks since the MSPE came out. Even though ACEP is later this year, I won't start full on freak out mode until November 1st. Even still, I think I will pull out of the DO match with 7 interviews. Time to find some booze.
How many did you apply to?

I'm a DO and I only have 2 invites. My school didn't release our MSPEs till 10/6. I applied to 40 programs(all with hx of having DOs). Due to family circumstances I put off level 2 till next week and step 2 the week after. 250+ on Step 1 , class rank 21/131. I'm just trying to figure out where the disconnect is. Not sure if its my letters(have 3 unsure of their quality), my lack of level 2 and step 2, only having passes on my the 3 EM rotations on my transcript(I honored IM, Peds,Psych,Family,Ob,Surgery), or the fact that my file wasn't complete on Oct 1.

I arbitrarily set today as my line in the sand for adding applications. Just not sure how much good it will do at this point. Assuming I can get at least a 265 on Step 2 when scores come out mid Nov... maybe there will be some spots left.

/neurotic rant

How many did you apply to?

I'm a DO and I only have 2 invites. My school didn't release our MSPEs till 10/6. I applied to 40 programs(all with hx of having DOs). Due to family circumstances I put off level 2 till next week and step 2 the week after. 250+ on Step 1 , class rank 21/131. I'm just trying to figure out where the disconnect is. Not sure if its my letters(have 3 unsure of their quality), my lack of level 2 and step 2, only having passes on my the 3 EM rotations on my transcript(I honored IM, Peds,Psych,Family,Ob,Surgery), or the fact that my file wasn't complete on Oct 1.

I arbitrarily set today as my line in the sand for adding applications. Just not sure how much good it will do at this point. Assuming I can get at least a 265 on Step 2 when scores come out mid Nov... maybe there will be some spots left.

/neurotic rant

you're down but most certainly not out. 2 ain't bad. If you get a third one through October and get 3 more in November, then you are in. Highly doubt that your passes on em rotations are the culprit. It's more so the content of the sloes. Herein lies the problem my friend. You can get a 270 on step 1....won't matter if your sloe says "not recommended".....again, 2 interviews is actually not that bad.