Emergency Medicine Class Matching in 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are there any fellow Total Annihilation players here? I disliked Starcraft, so got heavily into TA, and I've been keeping an eye out for fellow players.

Members don't see this ad.

4X is fun, but sometimes I just want tactics. XCOM is the best.

One of my friends is playing the new Xcom and has named all the soldiers after his friends. The resulting status updates are extremely amusing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations everyone! I am excited and relieved. Now we can look forward to Match Day! Only 3 unfilled slots though, brutal.

Congratulations everyone! Already about 4 beers in! Friday seems like months away.

Congratulations everyone! I am excited and relieved. Now we can look forward to Match Day! Only 3 unfilled slots though, brutal.

which programs did not fill?

EDIT: ooops nevermind, apparently we arent suppose to ask or know til monday

Last edited:
The wait until friday is gonna drive me nuts, especially since I applied EM/IM also and am not sure whether I matched into EM/IM or pure EM. But, I am thankful for having just matched.

Beer time.

The wait until friday is gonna drive me nuts, especially since I applied EM/IM also and am not sure whether I matched into EM/IM or pure EM. But, I am thankful for having just matched.

Beer time.

This might help:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yjzL319yZc[/youtube]

Share and Enjoy!

This might be the worst thing I've ever seen online, and that's saying a lot...

Interesting. People LOVED it last year. Maybe it's because we're a year farther from the whole Rebecca black thing...

Oh well...it's how we kept same during the match last year.

2chainz_2nd-run-e1350312473755.jpg

Hey guys, I'm a third year med student. I wanted to catch you guys before all of you leave the forums after tomorrow. Are there any U.S. MD's here who who had a step 1 score around the 210s and matched? If so please message me, I want to know your experience. I know there are a lot of variables that go into the interview/match process, but I'm kind of losing hope on EM. Anyway goodluck to everyone tomorrow!!

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm a third year med student. I wanted to catch you guys before all of you leave the forums after tomorrow. Are there any U.S. MD's here who who had a step 1 score around the 210s and matched? If so please message me, I want to know your experience. I know there are a lot of variables that go into the interview/match process, but I'm kind of losing hope on EM. Anyway goodluck to everyone tomorrow!!

I didn't have a similar score, but don't lose hope bud! Talk to your advisors ASAP and keep strengthening that CV! Schedule and slaughter a couple aways is a MUST for you. I'm sure there are PLENTY of people on this board with a similar board score and I hope they can lend you more personalized advice.

Don't give up though.

Your score may hold you back some, but I don't think it's an application-killer. If you look on FREIDA, those programs that admit to screening on Step 1 scores (and it's a minority of programs) tend to have a cutoff of 200. Plus EM programs seem to weight Step 2 CK just as heavily as Step 1, so taking that early and improving markedly would help significantly.

Of course, the importance of doing well on a couple of rotations at places you'd potentially like to end up and having strong SLORs prior to ERAS submission is hard to overstate as well.

ETA: per Charting Outcomes 2011, 212 of 239 US seniors with Step 1 scores between 211 and 220 matched in EM. So the odds are on your side as long as you strengthen your application where you can and apply wisely.

Last edited:

Classmate with a 219/251 who scored 30+ interviews after applying to ~60ish programs. Fantastic SLORs though and 2 away rotations with good grades.

There's someone on this forum with 219/230's that got 26 out of 30 interviews. I think a decent step 2 and good SLORs should make EM doable for you.

If you read through earlier in either this thread or one of the others from this year, a decent number of people listed their stats and interviews which you may find helpful.

I fit the profile and PMed you with details. If anyone else is in a similar boat and needs encouragement/antidotal advice, I'm happy to chat. Be smart as you play the game and rock everything else, but don't give up hope this early.