Emergency Medicine: only 2 LORs, (1 SLOE & 1 sub-SLOE), do I need more?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jerseyguy123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to ask a question about how many LORs are needed for EM. My application is submitted but I only have 2 LORs, one e-SLOE (I think mid 1/3), and 1 subspec SLOE (PedsEM, I think top 1/3). I have been hearing that I need one more LOR (any kind) and that my application might not be considered complete with just 2 LORs at the moment. Is this true? Should I try to quickly get another LOR from a previous rotation? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Look at the programs you applied to.
Does it say you’re fine with 2 SLOEs? Then you’re ok. Does it say it requires 3 letters? Get another one.

Reactions: 1 user
^She's right. That being said, I've gotten 2 interviews with only 2 LORs...an ESLOE and and OSLOE. I'm waiting for a 3rd OSLOE from the clerkship I finished 12 days ago. Hopefully they'll submit it soon so I can submit it to all the programs I've applied to.
FWIW....several programs are only asking for 2 SLOEs this year....one of which I'm sure you know must be an ESLOE.

Reactions: 1 user