Emergency medicine research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doggo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've literally never met anyone who does EM research so I'm curious if it is difficult to find research opportunities for EM in medical school (also if anyone could comment about what they do for their Emergency Medicine research that would be cool)

Members don't see this ad.

I've literally never met anyone who does EM research so I'm curious if it is difficult to find research opportunities for EM in medical school (also if anyone could comment about what they do for their Emergency Medicine research that would be cool)

I have done clinical research in the ER. If you are at a academic hospital, some of the attendings should be running studies

Reactions: 1 user
I've assisted in ER clinical research. It was mostly screening patients for studies, then getting those patients enrolled. Occasionally I got to interact with the doctors and see them responding to traumas.

There were plenty of opportunities for doctors to get involved in different studies.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Many EM research studies are about outcomes and a lot of it is closely related to pre-hospital care and clinical outcomes.

I've published in the Annals of Emergency Medicine and Academic Emergency Medicine. Another publication is the Journal of Emergency Medicine. Here's the link to that journal. It might give you a feeling for what is done in the field of EM.
http://www.jem-journal.com/

It may be possible to find an opportunity while in medical school but it might help to have some programming or database management skills heading into med school but that may be my bias.

Reactions: 1 users
Check with your EM and ask them if they have any research opportunities for students.

At my AMC, there are multiple EM research opportunities for medical students and post-docs related to emergency medicine, as well as disaster medicine, wilderness medicine, zoonoses, aviation medicine, etc.