Emergency Medicine Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

esth0001

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know how competitive are osteopathic Emergency Medicine Programs? And how popular Emergency Medicine is among D.Os?

Members don't see this ad.

esth0001 said:
Does anybody know how competitive are osteopathic Emergency Medicine Programs? And how popular Emergency Medicine is among D.Os?

Competitive, but not super competitive, esp compared to allopathic programs (which are a yr shorter). Very popular. Some great residencies i know of off the top of my head are Einstein in philly and St Barnabus in the bronx.

There are some great ones... and a few not so great ones. Obviously the better the program the more competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
esth0001 said:

1. The top programs are competitive.

2. Emergency Medicine is very popular among DO's. You will find a higher percentage of DO's in emergency than any other specialty, second to family medicine.

nvshelat said:
Competitive, but not super competitive, esp compared to allopathic programs (which are a yr shorter). Very popular. Some great residencies i know of off the top of my head are Einstein in philly and St Barnabus in the bronx.

There are some excellent residencies in Oklahoma and Missouri.

esth0001 said:
DO EM residencies are notoriously uncompetitive. Just a sheer numbers game will get you the truth.

EM is popular amongst both DO and MD students, but statistically you will likely match if you apply to enough places. If you love EM, go for it!

Q

OSUdoc08 said:
There are some excellent residencies in Oklahoma and Missouri.
In Missouri, the only EM residencies are at Barnes Jewish Hospital in St. Louis (4 yr MD, WASHU's teaching hospital, they do have a resident from KCOM there right now), I believe there is also one in Kansas City (MD), and there was a DO EM residency in Des Peres, but that fell apart.

cardiotonic said:
In Missouri, the only EM residencies are at Barnes Jewish Hospital in St. Louis (4 yr MD, WASHU's teaching hospital, they do have a resident from KCOM there right now), I believe there is also one in Kansas City (MD), and there was a DO EM residency in Des Peres, but that fell apart.

Incorrect. There is a residency at Freeman in Joplin, Missouri. It is the 3rd largest hospital in the state, and is the regional level I trama center serving the 4 corners of Missouri, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Kansas.

This residency is affiliated with KCUMB-COM.

OSUdoc08 said:
Incorrect. There is a residency at Freeman in Joplin, Missouri. It is the 3rd largest hospital in the state, and is the regional level I trama center serving the 4 corners of Missouri, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Kansas.

This residency is affiliated with KCUMB-COM.
good to know, thank you

WASH U also has a wicked awesome new D.O. intern from OSUCOM. While sightings of him are still elusive I heard he is 7' tall, benches 450, never sleeps, has already read rosen's 3 times, and despite being married spends a significant time each day fighting off the advances of female nurses/resident/students.

LOL

The Mish

Dr.MISHKA said:
WASH U also has a wicked awesome new D.O. intern from OSUCOM. While sightings of him are still elusive I heard he is 7' tall, benches 450, never sleeps, has already read rosen's 3 times, and despite being married spends a significant time each day fighting off the advances of female nurses/resident/students.

LOL

The Mish
No, that guy graduated from the USF EM program just a few months ago. I heard he's also "packin' heat" as the ladies say.

Q

Today my GI doc told me I look like an ER doc. What the hell does that mean? I mean, yeah, I would love to be an ER doc- but what does one typically look/ act like? I need to know what to accentuate on interviews, of course :oops:

refer to above post for approx appearance of ED docs.

To rephrase: Cool, confident, and "packing heat"

LOL

The Mish

Members don't see this ad :)
BklynWill said:
Today my GI doc told me I look like an ER doc. What the hell does that mean? I mean, yeah, I would love to be an ER doc- but what does one typically look/ act like? I need to know what to accentuate on interviews, of course :oops:

Probably hinting you should go to ER medicine and don't try to apply for GI..

esth0001 said:

Do an audition, don't screw it up, and youre in unless you have some glaring deficiency in your app.

VentdependenT said:
Do an audition, don't screw it up, and youre in unless you have some glaring deficiency in your app.

I know a couple of people who did the first 2 quite well, had no deficiencies, but still didn't match. Gotta be sure to apply to enough places to keep your options open.

BklynWill said:

I.e. not wearing too short scrubs with black socks and loafers that went out of style 15 years ago.

Dr.MISHKA said:
refer to above post for approx appearance of ED docs.

To rephrase: Cool, confident, and "packing heat"

LOL

The Mish
So if I were cool, confident, packing heat, and have read Rosens 4 times, what else would I need to be competitive at Barnes ED? And, how do you like the 4 yr program?

I don't really know what makes you competetive, I have the theory that they accidentally picked me and are now kicking themselves. "Dr. Missy, not Dr. Mishka, oh crap now we are stuck with this dork." :laugh:

As we know I suck, and this was confirmed by the first intern meeting where one of the attendings I interviewed with introduced himself and asked if we had met yet, "umm yes sir you interviewed me." Awkward silence. "well, welcome to the program"

Good board scores are always a plus, but not everyone in our class had 240+, and a good LOR from a rotation is a plus too. Just do your best, the chips will fall where they may. All the interns are just cool, sincere, and good people - try to be that.

4 year program is good, as more administrative practice is incorporated 4th year, and you get more electives. As well, more ICU experience (SICU, PICU, CTICU, Neuro ICU, Etc - I think we do all that are humanly possible), Super smart attendings with different styles to graft off of, and trauma experience and ultrasound are strong.

The cons - the pt population is well, "somewhat difficult" to work with and sometimes impossible to get a good history from, to say the least.

Hope that Helps

Best Wishes

The Mish

Dr.MISHKA said:
I don't really know what makes you competetive, I have the theory that they accidentally picked me and are now kicking themselves. "Dr. Missy, not Dr. Mishka, oh crap now we are stuck with this dork." :laugh:

As we know I suck, and this was confirmed by the first intern meeting where one of the attendings I interviewed with introduced himself and asked if we had met yet, "umm yes sir you interviewed me." Awkward silence. "well, welcome to the program"

Good board scores are always a plus, but not everyone in our class had 240+, and a good LOR from a rotation is a plus too. Just do your best, the chips will fall where they may. All the interns are just cool, sincere, and good people - try to be that.

4 year program is good, as more administrative practice is incorporated 4th year, and you get more electives. As well, more ICU experience (SICU, PICU, CTICU, Neuro ICU, Etc - I think we do all that are humanly possible), Super smart attendings with different styles to graft off of, and trauma experience and ultrasound are strong.

The cons - the pt population is well, "somewhat difficult" to work with and sometimes impossible to get a good history from, to say the least.

Hope that Helps

Best Wishes

The Mish
240+!!!...I think I would be lucky to get a 220. :(

I was a server in St. Louis before med school, so I think I've had my fair share of "somewhat difficult" people to work with. I think you just get over it after a while.

good post, thanks a lot! Oh, and Dr Polites rocks!

I'm at POH in Michigan right now and absolutely love it. I moved to Mich after living my whole life in NY and going to NYCOM. POH's atmosphere is great and the people are awesome. I'm an intern and would recommend this program to anyone and everyone interested in everything from Surg to EM to OB!!

Dr. Mish,

Mind saying what program you are at? If so can you PM me

BMW-

Dr.MISHKA said:

Hope that Helps

Best Wishes

The Mish

No PM necessary Wash U/Barnes-Jewish in the land of the mighty Pujols

Best Wishes

The Mish

MeeraDO said:
I'm at POH in Michigan right now and absolutely love it. I moved to Mich after living my whole life in NY and going to NYCOM. POH's atmosphere is great and the people are awesome. I'm an intern and would recommend this program to anyone and everyone interested in everything from Surg to EM to OB!!

would you tell all about EM POH? what are your hours like? do they teach? What is Pontiac like? Is a rotation necessary there to be considered?

Also, do you know anything about the Anesthesia residency there? thanks, amy