Emergency medicine residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.No

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you want to go into emergency medicine, as far as recomendations, do you need to get one from an EM physician to go into an EM residency? Also are you required to do an EM rotation if your plan on applying to an EM residency?

Members don't see this ad.

YES.

Why would you consider doing a residency in a specialty that you have never even experienced? And why would a residency program want to take someone with no idea how they will preform?

What if a medical shool doesnt offer a Emergency medicine rotation? Could you do a rotation in a similar field?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dont you have to apply for residency after your third year? How can you get recommendations from EM Doctors if you cant do Emergency rotations till your fourth year?

Suggestions on taking steps to assuring that one gets an emergency medicine residency?

I would appreciate it.... Much Thanx

Applications for residencies are made during the early part of your fourth year. Try to do your EM rotation early on, preferrably at one of the hospitals that you think you'd like to do your residency (that was my strategy, anyone else?). Work hard and do well. :cool:

Originally posted by Popoy:
•Suggestions on taking steps to assuring that one gets an emergency medicine residency?

I would appreciate it.... Much Thanx•

There is no such thing as ASSURING any type of residency. As always it comes down to the following:

good USMLE scores
good grades
good letters
good evals, especially on an EM rotation
sometimes contacts help
ability to call Paeds Surg resident for a splinter removal (twice this week) when you could easily do it yourself! :eek:
and AOA

Good luck! :D

Originally posted by Kimberli Cox:

ability to call Paeds Surg resident for a splinter removal (twice this week) when you could easily do it yourself! :eek:

Maybe they just want to hear your charming accent! ;)

;) ;) ;)

Thanks Dr. C!!!

I guess there's a lot of TURFING and BUFFING going on in EM.... :D

I got the TURFING and BUFFING lingo from the book "THE HOUSE OF GODS." :cool:

When applying to EM residencies, most require that you have recommendation letters from EM docs in an academice setting. In fact, they have a standardized form for these recommendations -- called a CORD-SLOR form. Just because your school doesn't have an EM rotation in the third year doesn't preclude you from getting this recommendation. In fact, there are many schools that don't have third-year rotations in EM. Mine didn't. That didn't keep me from pursuing the specialty -- I made contacts with people in the emergency department at my school and set up some experiential activities through them. You also have some time early in your fourth year to do formal EM rotations at your own school or at away institutions and get recommendations from people you work with there. That's what I did. All of my recommendations were completed by the middle of October and interviews started toward the end of November. I also became actively involved in our Emergency Medicine Interest Group (EMIG) at my school -- if your school doesn't have one, you can start one! How cool would that be?

You can check out SAEMand EMRAfor more information about EM, getting recommendations, and setting up and EMIG.

Hope this helps.

James
PGY1, Emergency Medicine, University of Chicago

Originally posted by Kimberli Cox:

ability to call Paeds Surg resident for a splinter removal (twice this week) when you could easily do it yourself!•

Darn! I didn't realize that I could call someone to do splinter removals -- I've been doing them all by myself. Ha ha.

James
PGY1, Emergency Medicine, University of Chicago

Originally posted by Popoy:
•Thanks Dr. C!!!

I guess there's a lot of TURFING and BUFFING going on in EM.... :D

I got the TURFING and BUFFING lingo from the book "THE HOUSE OF GODS." :cool:

Very good my challenger. The House of Gods has many still in use terms. As for buffing, the EM physicians didn't even bother to buff those patients and make them sound remotely surgical. At least I didn't get the case my compadre did - back of earring stuck to ear. Only, there was no earring in the ear - only the healing ridge which forms inside the hole which scared the patient into thinking her earring back had gotten stuck inside the hole. Heavy sigh...

Originally posted by jawurheemd:

Darn! I didn't realize that I could call someone to do splinter removals -- I've been doing them all by myself. Ha ha.

James
PGY1, Emergency Medicine, University of Chicago•

Obviously you don't work here! Next time, call the surgery resident! Ha ha :D

I thought surgery residents were too busy looking in the mirror to actually "help anyone"...

That is a joke. Calm down.

A good article for those of you interested in EM can be found in the June 2001 edition of Academic Emergency Medicine pg 648 "Emergency Medicine Standardized Letter of Recommendation: Predictors of Guaranteed Match"

By the way, I helped my EM attending sew a lacerated tongue of a 18month old little girl yesterday...I really can't imagine calling a PGY1 to get a splinter out of a finger. Unless it was a moolighting Radiologist in the ED or something.