Emergency Medicine Resident - Ask Me Anything!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocMcStuffandThings

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current EM resident in southeast US. Ask me anything. 🩺👍🏻
Cheers 🍻
DocMcStuffandThings

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Hows jobhunting been for recent seniors and what would you say to med students interested in EM but worried about finding a good gig where they want to live?

To follow up that question, what is the job market like right now in the southeast for EM? I'll end up in the southeast regardless of what field i pursue due to family reasons. I entered medical school with the intent of doing EM(class of 2024), however, I'm pretty much scared away at the moment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hows jobhunting been for recent seniors and what would you say to med students interested in EM but worried about finding a good gig where they want to live?
Seniors this year are getting a little more love than last year, but it’s still a little wary. COVID really did a number on new jobs last year and still lingering a bit.
For Med student interest in EM - go for it. Nobody knows what will shake out I. The next 5 years. Say you pick another specialty instead, that specialty may develop issues of its own in the next few years. Don’t let that report scare you off from doing what you know you are meant for. You will find a job. You may have to put in a few years at a place that is not your dream job until one opens up where you want to be, or you may land your dream job right away. I would leave medicine completely before choosing a different specialty.

To follow up that question, what is the job market like right now in the southeast for EM? I'll end up in the southeast regardless of what field i pursue due to family reasons. I entered medical school with the intent of doing EM(class of 2024), however, I'm pretty much scared away at the moment.
Things are starting to open back up slowly. I think we will start seeing some retirements soon as well as docs are getting burnt out from COVID.

Same thing I said to the last poster, do not let this dissuade you from doing what you want. Medicine is a tough career field and it would suck to end up in a specialty that you didn’t really want to do in the first place. Do what you love and the rest will work itself out.

If I occasionally vasovage in really intense situations (trauma) can EM still be for me?

Things are starting to open back up slowly. I think we will start seeing some retirements soon as well as docs are getting burnt out from COVID.

Same thing I said to the last poster, do not let this dissuade you from doing what you want. Medicine is a tough career field and it would suck to end up in a specialty that you didn’t really want to do in the first place. Do what you love and the rest will work itself out.

Looking at his profile, the dudes an intern, if you want to learn about the job market, talk to attendings in the EM forum.

Looking at his profile, the dudes an intern, if you want to learn about the job market, talk to attendings in the EM forum.
I try to get the overly optimistic opinion from the interns/residents, then the sky has fallen and we are finding new ways to articulate that space is falling opinions from attendings. Then I realize the truth is somewhere in between.