Emergency Medicine Shelf Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

colts

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the best books/resources to use for Emergency Medicine?

Can people post their scores on the shelf and the books/resources they used?

Members don't see this ad.

While there is no one way to study for the Medicine Shelf Exam, here we present some of the best practices we’ve picked up over time. As is the case with any board exam, the best tried and true overall method is to “study early and study often.”

Spambot much? I don't understand the angle that goes into setting up these crawlers that set up fake accounts and spam them with really generic predictive language processing crap. They just string together a bunch of quasi-related words that say nothing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did pretty well, I used the pre-test and Case Files questions available via AccessMedicine. That plus being interested and reading about your patients in Rosen's or Tintanelli's occasionally will get you through it. Also, the web-based Rosh Review is pretty cheap, and I used some of those. They have an app, so it's like a UW for EM but only costs like $40/3 mo.

I did pretty well, I used the pre-test and Case Files questions available via AccessMedicine. That plus being interested and reading about your patients in Rosen's or Tintanelli's occasionally will get you through it. Also, the web-based Rosh Review is pretty cheap, and I used some of those. They have an app, so it's like a UW for EM but only costs like $40/3 mo.

Thank you!

Just took the shelf for this. It was one of the easier shelves IMO, especially if you already had surgery and medicine, and even moreso if you've had all your cores. If not, then I could see it being quite difficult since EM is so broad.

PreTest was really good for this shelf - it covers all the aspects of EM (everything from trauma to peds to OB/GYN). If you have time, the UWorld medicine section and Pestana surgery notes would be great. There was a quite a bit of trauma on my EM shelf, especially in regards to the ABCs.

Last edited: