Emergency Medicine step 1 score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Omiganlode

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! This is my first time writing in this forum and I wanted to know if I have a chance at EM. I'm an IMG and I got a score of 213/90 on step 1. I got that score with 4 months of studying and a newborn baby in my defense. ;) EM is my dream, is there any chance or should I forget about it and try for something else?

Thanks,
L.

Members don't see this ad.

Do not forget about it. You can still match. Just apply wide, be a great M4 rotating student. Be a great interviewer and you should be OK.

Don't forget about it, but have a backup plan as well in case you don't match. Whether that's a 2nd specialty or a solid plan to improve your EM app in the interim is up to you.

And by "apply wide" pinipig is (or should be) saying, "apply to every single program in the country."

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't forget about it, but have a backup plan as well in case you don't match. Whether that's a 2nd specialty or a solid plan to improve your EM app in the interim is up to you.

And by "apply wide" pinipig is (or should be) saying, "apply to every single program in the country."
Thanks!

....you've got more than a chance :) Just follow through and do what you've always wanted, regardless of scores. Why let a number stop you from your goal?
Thanks so much... That's how I feel too but being that I have a family, I wanted to make sure that I wasn't wasting my time. I feel I would be a strong applicant because I have a lot of experience in the ER, I worked as a tech for 4 years which isn't the same but you know what I mean. I was also a registered nurse in the states when I decided to go to medical school. Let's see what God has in store for me. Thanks to all of you for answering... ;)

Hi - I'm an IMG too and I've been looking at what it takes for EM. To be honest, 213/90 is low considering the IMG thing. 220+ is important. Apply broadly - ofcourse! But also apply to another specialty just in case - IM should be easily within reach. IM at University program is also well within reach if you find a sub-specialty you like.

It does when programs have cut-off scores that automatically filter students out.

Hi - I'm an IMG too and I've been looking at what it takes for EM. To be honest, 213/90 is low considering the IMG thing. 220+ is important. Apply broadly - ofcourse! But also apply to another specialty just in case - IM should be easily within reach. IM at University program is also well within reach if you find a sub-specialty you like.

Thank you you're right... I'm hoping that being a US citizen will help me out a little bit. What do you think?

It does when programs have cut-off scores that automatically filter students out.

Somehow I doubt there are many programs with a cut-off of 220, when the average score for EM is roughly 220ish. Yes, Denver may be out, but there are plenty of other programs that do not have a cut-off of 220.

So, I stand by my earlier statement that a 213 and 220 are so close, that step 1 is not going to be the deciding factor here.

Somehow I doubt there are many programs with a cut-off of 220, when the average score for EM is roughly 220ish. Yes, Denver may be out, but there are plenty of other programs that do not have a cut-off of 220.

So, I stand by my earlier statement that a 213 and 220 are so close, that step 1 is not going to be the deciding factor here.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer to the OP here

But here's the reality - EM is a relatively competitive residency when it comes to IMGs. If she was a US-grad, that would be one thing but she's not - there's a big difference between 213 & 220 when IMG comes into question.

I am an IMG too & I have some idea of how these things work. It'd be very wise if she chose to apply to another program like IM as well as applying to every single lower-tier EM program she can find that might possibly accept her. The US-citizen is a BIG factor in her favor atleast.

Thanks to both of you... I obviously know that being an IMG is not going to help me so I'm going to try to get a better score on step 2. Hopefully the fact that I'm American will help me. Like I said I studied 4 months for step 1 with a newborn baby that I breastfeed exclusively during that time so my focus was not 100% on step 1. I'm sure I could have gotten at least a 240 if I had taken it under different circumstances. I'm sure I will get a 99 on step 2 and I will explain my "low" step 1 score in my personal statement.
Thanks to everyone for all the encouragement!!! At least I know I can keep on fighting... :D

I beat odds worst than that at conception... I got this!!!! :laugh:

You've got a chance, but you need a backup. Think about every worse case scenario and plan for it. The most important thing you can do is bust hiney during clinicals, excel, get great evals, A's, and great SLOR's, show up early, leave late, pro-active, do better on step 2, you know the drill... The reality is that EM has been, and continues to be moderately competitive specialty and with U.S. class sizes increasing, it only makes it more difficult for an IMG to attain a residency spot. They get first preference and first dibs, as they should, and you need to do everything you can to make yourself competitive. Do your away rotations at programs with a history of taking IMG/FMG's, preferably from your school. Apply widely, like....take out a small loan widely. Crunch the numbers in the 2011 Charting Outcomes in the Match. That will give you your best calculable probability in matching. Good luck.

Remember, back up plan. You may not match. Be prepared for that, but yes, you do have a decent shot.

All of that is assuming you are a U.S. Citizen, otherwise I would say that you have a very low probability in matching into EM.

So, for instance... by looking at Charting Outcomes in 2011 with the primary metric being Step 1 score... you had 60 "Independent Applicants" applying for EM that had a Step 1 score between 211-220. Ind Applicants includes U.S. and non-U.S. citizens, so keep that in mind. Regardless, 23 matched and 37 did not. That gives you roughly a 38% chance in matching as best calculable (if you had been one of those 60) based only on the information you've given.

What's the deal with Denver? Is it just super competitive/top tier and that's why your saying that?

Ya, from what I have seen it is regarded as a good/competitive program. Likely that I won't even apply to the program as they want research and consider the medical school you came from as an important factor. Both factors that would be negatives in my application.