Emergency Medicine with Sports Medicine Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surfdevl02

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys-

I have a quick question...I have always had a love for sports and thought that that it'd be great if i could someday combine my love for sports with my career. Today someone told me that there is a sports medicine fellowship in emergency medicine...is this just a rumor or is it true? That'd be awesome if it was...i'm currently a third year, love the work in the ER, like the shift-work of EM, DETEST rounding, and love seeing patients acutely. That's why i think the ER is the best place for me. I know i won't make as much as most docs but having time off every month is really important to me. Has anyone on this forum had any personal experience with the sports medicine fellowship or know anyone who has. Is this the type of trying i'd be receiving so that i can stand on the sideline of a professional sports team as a doc or is that relegated to the orthopods? Also, what kind of credentials do you need to get into EM, ie grades, boards, connections, etc. Thanks for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

Most (if not all) sports med fellowships are run by Family med programs.

While some officially consider EM trained applicants, I don't know how successful they actually are at getting fellowship positions (unless they've trained at the same hospital as their fellowship and know the Sports Med faculty there)

Anybody out there have any input on this one?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you look through the SAEM site and the FRIEDA site you'll see that there are some Sports Medicine fellowships specifically for EM grads. I don't know anything about the specialty or any of the programs, I'm just pointing you in the right direction.

if you complete this fellowship after ER, how practical would it be to work ER and also run an outpatient clinic once or twice per week, perhaps at some multi-specialty group? Let's say the point of the outpatient clinic is to have expertise in some disease like sports injuries or you want to read EKG's to see if someone is fit enough to play sports? And you want to spend more time per patient than you would at an ER.

Also as a regular ER or primary care doctor how practical is it to take a vacation for several months at a time because you just dont feel like working? Not that you don't like your job but you just want to do something like climb mount everest or go on some extensive vacation?

I would actually suggest doing a fmaily medicine residency followed by a sports fellowship. Much more fellowship options and the FM trains you better for some of the primary care issues which usually come up in sports medicine pracitce. Can still do ER in many areas as well.

Listen, OP, your career plan is my career plan. Yes, many sports med fellowships out there are for family medicine, but not all of them. And I've worked with two ED docs at two places both of whom did sports med fellowships and run a clinic about twice a week and see all the musculoskeletal cases that need follow up through the ED. So will it be harder to get a sports fellowship as an ED doc? Yeah. So you have to be happy thinking that if it doesn't happen that's OK cause you love the ED. That's okay with me, personally. And if it's okay with you then great! I realized that if I didn't get a sports med fellowship after doing FM, I wouldn't want to do FM. But if I didn't get a sports med fellowship after EM i would still LOVE being an EM doc. It's just where I belong. the rest is icing.

University of Pittsburgh has a fam med sports med program that is em friendly. One of our grads went there last year. I did an elective as a medstudent and thought they were great.