Emergency Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've recently been blessed with offers from several schools. I think (emphasis on the "think") I want to go into emergency medicine, and wonder which schools are known for good clerkships in this discipline. Is there a listing somewhere?

Members don't see this ad.

Goldie --

I dont' have any words of wisdom for you on this topic, however I have the exact same question as you do. I am torn between Internal Medicine and Emergency Medicine....trying to find the best road to follow for me. I work a job in CICU where I get alot of exposure of IM....however I'm an EMT, an dI have a love of EM.....uggh...decisions decisions....

If you'd like to chat about this, email me @ [email protected]

Thanks

warren

University of Cincinnati is the #1 EM residency program, as well as the first ever. If we are on your list, I suggest you go here.

Betsy MSII Cincy

Members don't see this ad :)
University of Cincinnati is the #1 EM residency program, as well as the first ever. If we are on your list, I suggest you go here.
Betsy MSII Cincy

Mango/Betsy,
I'm sincerely curious, where did you find the rankings for EM residency programs?
Thanks! :D

There are no rankings for programs...none, zero. And where you go to medical school truly has little to do with where you will be matched. Some of the best programs are not university based...

For more information on programs, go to the residency listings at <a href="http://www.saem.org" target="_blank">www.saem.org</a>
for EM only forums go to <a href="http://www.emra.org" target="_blank">www.emra.org</a>

Jacobi medical center in the bronx and Kings County/SUNY Downstate in brooklyn have great EM residencies.

Go where you will be most comfortable. You may in the future decide you don't want to go into "x" residency, but you chose a less-than-comfortable school just because they have a "great" program in "x". Medical school is stressful enough, don't make your life harder than you have to.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you will have lots of time to practice in your chosen field, but only limited time to explore but a small portion of what medicine has to offer.

As freedom said, go to <a href="http://www.saem.org" target="_blank">www.saem.org</a>

generally the most recognized programs are as follows (in NO ORDER)

Indiana U. (methodist)
Christ Hosp (chicago)
Hennipin County (Minn)
Carolina's (S. Carolina)
Maricopa (Phoenix)
U of Cincy
Denver
USC-LAC
But there are so many! Each has a different emphasis from research to EMS...and some are FAR less malignant than others, and if you are happy, then that is where you want to be!

Yeah, I agree with what's been posted after my rather late night, post-bar advice. I should have said that UC is ONE OF THE BEST EM programs, as well as the first. This is all anecdotally based, and as somebody else said, you shouldn't pick your med school based on wanting to do a residency at their hospital. For example, UC takes only 1 or 2 of it's own students into the EM residency each year. The rest come from all over the country. Pick the school where you will be most happy, that is key.

Of course it doesn't hurt if you happen to go to a school with a strong reputation in emergency medicine. Emergency medicine is a pretty small community compared to other specialties. If your advisor/mentor etc... happens to be well-known and respected their recommendations (official and unofficial*) will go a long way. While Cincy might take one or two of their own students, I'd be willing to wager that the other's that didn't quite make the cut ended up in some pretty repectable places. That being said, there are no really bad em residencies. Like others before have said there is no official ranking but there is a hierarchy in the "community" and UCin is widely reputed to be among the best. Three more not mentioned previously are UCLA/Harbor, UC Davis and Univ. of Pittsburgh.

* one of our faculty members mentioned that they received phone calls on just about every student that applied to an EM residency.

Thanks for all the info guys!

From what I'm reading....med school choice really has no HUGE influence on where you would like to do a residency? For instance...I live in Kansas, and statistically have a "good" chance of being accepted in KU medical school. However, I think that it would be wonderful to be accepted to an east coast school with alot of opportunities. However after reading what I have, it sounds like settling for KU (even if I have other options) may not be too bad of an idea. (I don't mean to make it sound like I'm settling for a second-rate school by any means - KU is a great school - but I'm referring to applying to and being accepted to Univ. if Cincy (for example) because they have a great EM program). Isn't all Medical School curriculum essentially the same no matter where I would go? i.e....would I get a better emergency medicine understanding if I go to U of Cincy vs. some other place for medical school?

Thank you for dealing with the repetitive questions and my excessive use of parenthesis.. :)

Warren

You will learn the same things no matter what school you attend. The differences may lie in the opportunities afforded you at one school compared to another. For example, I am also very interested in EM. This last summer (between MS1 and MS2), I worked as a research assistant doing clinical research here in the ED at Cincy. That was a great chance for me to work with and get to know the physicians in the ED, as well as the residency director (who was my boss). I also received a rec letter from him.

So, if I do decide to pursue EM and apply to UC, having spent 2 months working in the ED might (emphasis on might) help me out. Opportunities like this, as well as 3rd and 4th year electives spent in the ED, are the main benefits I can see in attending a school with a residency that you are interested in.

Music doctor, I am matching in EM in march, so maybe I can help a tiny bit. First and foremost, KU is a great medical school, though they don't have an EM program there, UMKC -Truman does have a program. The first 2 years of medical school is virtually the same in all schools...it has to be because of the USMLE step 1 is a standardized test taken at the end of your 2nd year. Therefore, there can't be too many different classes.
What you may wish to do is ask how many rotations can you do out of the KU system your 4th year. If you can do 2-3 months, spend those months going to EM programs you are interested in, and rotate in the ED.
Perhaps that will help.

Originally posted by Mango:
•University of Cincinnati is the #1 EM residency program, as well as the first ever. If we are on your list, I suggest you go here.

Betsy MSII Cincy•••

Don't quote me on this, but I believe MCP's ER residency is the oldest and first of it's kind (not Cincinnati). Additionally, it is largely considered one of the best in the country.

Originally posted by goldie:
•I've recently been blessed with offers from several schools. I think (emphasis on the "think") I want to go into emergency medicine, and wonder which schools are known for good clerkships in this discipline. Is there a listing somewhere?•••

Goldie,

My experience shows that most people change their minds a thousand times before applying for a residency. Unless you have worked as a nurse, PA etc... you have next to no clinical experience to make an educated decision. I would urge you strongly to go the medical school you are happiest. Your residency training will be a much better place to decipher the 'best training' in. Which medical school you go to will have no affect on how good an ER physician you may ultimately become, if you become one at all.

Originally posted by Klebsiella:
•Don't quote me on this, but I believe MCP's ER residency is the oldest and first of it's kind (not Cincinnati). •••

Here's a quote from UC's EM residency web site:

"Postgraduate training in Emergency Medicine began in 1970 with the establishment of the nation's first residency at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center. The residency started with one resident in 1970, and has flourished to its present level of 40 residents over four years of training. The residency has the full approval of the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education." <a href="http://www.emermed.uc.edu/residency.asp" target="_blank">http://www.emermed.uc.edu/residency.asp</a>

Just FYI

Here's a quote from UC's EM residency web site:

"Postgraduate training in Emergency Medicine began in 1970 with the establishment of the nation's first residency at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center. The residency started with one resident in 1970, and has flourished to its present level of 40 residents over four years of training. The residency has the full approval of the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education." <a href="http://www.emermed.uc.edu/residency.asp" target="_blank">http://www.emermed.uc.edu/residency.asp</a>

Just FYI•••

Hi Mango,

I saw that. I still think that MCP is the first ER residency program though. Perhaps someone from the program or applying can enlighten us.

Oh, right. The UC guys just love to publish blatent lies.

Does it really matter that much anyway?

•Oh, right. The UC guys just love to publish blatent lies.

Does it really matter that much anyway?•••

Mango,

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you over a nuance and would be thrilled to be proven wrong. The answer to this question is purely for our own edification, not because it matters. I have been told by numerous attednings and peers in the field that MCP is indeed the first and oldest ER program in the country. I am merely interested in finding out whether parable or your web site is correct. I have some contacts in the field and will have an answer from them in the coming days. In fact I just sent off an email to Dr. Hamilton at MCP.

From the official American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP) website you can get the following information...

1. ACEP founded in Lansing, MI in 1968
2. The "first Emergency Medicine Residency Program was started at the U. of Cincy in July of 1970"

<a href="http://www.saem.org" target="_blank">www.saem.org</a> lists Cincy as starting in 1970 and MCP as starting in 1971.

That should settle it.

Damn, everyone who's going into EM knows that Cincy was the first program in the country. Anyway, the programs listed by Mr. Happy Clown Guy and tonem are all great. In addition, I really liked UNC while I was interviewing.

Later