Emergency Physician on bike ride mowed down by driver who then gets out of Lexus & stabs him to death

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Birdstrike

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Absolutely horrible. Even more wild that the two didn't seem to know each other, yet the murder was so brutal. Truly an evil individual, and I really don't see any argument that could possibly be made for reforming someone like this. Too bad it's Cali, because this guy should be executed.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
“Witnesses say he was holding a BB gun when he approached Dr Mammone, a married father-of-two, and was screaming racial slurs about 'white privilege' , according to ABC7.

🙄

Reactions: 1 user
“Witnesses say he was holding a BB gun when he approached Dr Mammone, a married father-of-two, and was screaming racial slurs about 'white privilege' , according to ABC7.

🙄
Sounds like an open and shut hate crime... oh, never mind, it's California.

Reactions: 10 users
Sounds like an open and shut hate crime... oh, never mind, it's California.
Situations like this are why God invented the Glock 26 (compact, light, fits in a cycling jersey)…oh, nevermind, it’s California.

Reactions: 8 users
Hopefully he’ll get life it pisses me off that someone can kill someone but the victims family doesn’t get any money

But if an ER doc makes a mistake them they are entitled to money

• Sad
Reactions: 8 users
Hopefully he’ll get life it pisses me off that someone can kill someone but the victims family doesn’t get any money

But if an ER doc makes a mistake them they are entitled to money
Umm, no. That physician’s family is going to sue the living crap out of that guy for wrongful death. As they should. The guy is an accountant, driving a Lexus, and living in an affluent area. He’s not broke.

It certainly won’t be enough to compensate them for his loss, but they will get something.

Reactions: 3 users
Umm, no. That physician’s family is going to sue the living crap out of that guy for wrongful death. As they should. The guy is an accountant, driving a Lexus, and living in an affluent area. He’s not broke.

It certainly won’t be enough to compensate them for his loss, but they will get something.

That doesn’t mean much he most likely doesn’t have much insurance and civil lawsuits can’t really take things like 401k in California

🙄
I’d be a little cautious taking this for truth from the media until they have it in a confirmed report. Witnesses will say anything to media offhand.

Case in point in a local community our local news said a person was found unconscious on the tennis court and witnesses say his throat was slashed and that drugs were involved and he was taken emergently to the local hospital. I found out later from one of my colleagues the true story about the person. He Was drunk and had fallen with a tiny skin tear on their neck when they were brought in and had politely declined wound care treatment and left after a full exam

• Haha
That doesn’t mean much he most likely doesn’t have much insurance and civil lawsuits can’t really take things like 401k in California
Insurance won’t cover crimes. This is to say, your auto policy won’t cover a crash if you were using the car as a weapon. However, they most certainly will go after his assets to the extent possible. I avoid CA like the plague so I can’t speak to what portions are vulnerable.

I’d be a little cautious taking this for truth from the media until they have it in a confirmed report. Witnesses will say anything to media offhand.
About as much that you will get out of me is an eye roll emoji. Contrast with the entire industry that was created by the “Hands Up Don’t Shoot” narrative which turned out to be complete BS and was tied to multiple LE assaults and probably murders.

Reactions: 1 users
Insurance won’t cover crimes. This is to say, your auto policy won’t cover a crash if you were using the car as a weapon. However, they most certainly will go after his assets to the extent possible. I avoid CA like the plague so I can’t speak to what portions are vulnerable.
More evidence that CA has an underrated med-mal enviornment?
California is such a joke of a state. He shouldn't even be offered bail. With that kind of behavior, he'll just do it again. He's got nothing to lose. Cannot fathom why people choose to live in such an ultra-liberal place that taxes the **** out of its residents.
Just gonna drop this here:

Stats of the States - Homicide Mortality

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
More evidence that CA has an underrated med-mal enviornment?

Just gonna drop this here:

Stats of the States - Homicide Mortality
The fact that I’m 1/10000000X more likely to get murdered in a “red” state as opposed to a “blue” is not enough reason for me to put up with CA taxes, homelessness, drug problem and all around leadership incompetence. Especially when all I need to do is avoid the liberal/progressive zip codes in any state and my risk of being murdered approaches zero…

The fact that CA’s population is shrinking suggests that I’m not the only person who understands this calculus.

Cannot fathom why people choose to live in such an ultra-liberal place that taxes the **** out of its residents.
Mainly because there are lots of beautiful places to live there. Just visited San Diego a few months ago, absolutely lovely city. Not worth the cost of living for me, but I can see why someone would want to pay a premium to live there.

Not to totally derail this thread, but evaluating states as monoliths is pretty useless. There's a lot of heterogeneity between rural, suburban, and urban communities in any given state. Breakdown by county or city would be a much more useful presentation of the data.

Not to totally derail this thread, but evaluating states as monoliths is pretty useless. There's a lot of heterogeneity between rural, suburban, and urban communities in any given state. Breakdown by county or city would be a much more useful presentation of the data.

There is a list of the Congressional districts by violent crime rate - telling what they all have in common.

• Wow

Case in point in a local community our local news said a person was found unconscious on the tennis court and witnesses say his throat was slashed and that drugs were involved and he was taken emergently to the local hospital. I found out later from one of my colleagues the true story about the person. He Was drunk and had fallen with a tiny skin tear on their neck when they were brought in and had politely declined wound care treatment and left after a full exam
You're right in that the media can't be trusted. However, the part where he runs him over is on video. It's linked in the second article. And the guy left the car there and he was kept on scene by bystanders. So, the ID should be pretty sure. But you're right, in that the details could change still.

• Haha
I started this thread in case someone knew this doc. Let's not derail it to score political points.

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
California is such a joke of a state. He shouldn't even be offered bail. With that kind of behavior, he'll just do it again. He's got nothing to lose. Cannot fathom why people choose to live in such an ultra-liberal place that taxes the **** out of its residents.
Please. Florida is the state being run by a man child crying about an AP class and a company paying out of pocket for far superior infrastructure.

Meanwhile Texas still can’t run their electric system properly… while lying about which source of electricity is down.

• Love
About as much that you will get out of me is an eye roll emoji. Contrast with the entire industry that was created by the “Hands Up Don’t Shoot” narrative which turned out to be complete BS and was tied to multiple LE assaults and probably murders.

Meanwhile people whine about the IRS, but are willing to “back the blue” for beating Eric Garner to death for what is, at worst, being a tax cheat (selling untaxed cigarettes).

Please. Florida is the state being run by a man child crying about an AP class and a company paying out of pocket for far superior infrastructure.

Meanwhile Texas still can’t run their electric system properly… while lying about which source of electricity is down.

Nevermind the "whataboutism"; any non-ostrich can see that... its hard to compare "California encourages violent crime and open-air drug markets" to "Florida is racist and --- ?"

Lemme tell yah; if Florida is so racist - we sure have a lot of minorities coming here to live.

Nevermind the "whataboutism"; any non-ostrich can see that... its hard to compare "California encourages violent crime and open-air drug markets" to "Florida is racist and --- ?"

Lemme tell yah; if Florida is so racist - we sure have a lot of minorities coming here to live.
Yes, but you have Florida Man. It’s damn hard to beat Florida Man…

…well, I suppose there is West Virginia Woman - she’s pretty bad too…

Oh, don’t forget Tennessee Doctor (see my posts in the expert witness thread)…

Yes, but you have Florida Man. It’s damn hard to beat Florida Man…

…well, I suppose there is West Virginia Woman - she’s pretty bad too…

Oh, don’t forget Tennessee Doctor (see my posts in the expert witness thread)…

Every time I talk to one of my friends from back home in PA, or residency in OH, I say:

"Every time you read a story that begins with: 'A Florida man...' there is a nonzero probability that I am involved at one point or another."

California also has a very large population it is also the economic engine of the USA .

The women there are very attractive

Dear lord. Lunatics everywhere. I live in downtown of my city and considering moving to gated community

I can't even imagine what his family is feeling/going through. Was he on the way home from shift? That could be any one of us.

Weekly thing in FloriDUH

Unfortunately, violence surrounds us and you need to have your head on a swivel. I stopped biking to work out of fear of becoming a hood ornament by an elder, texter, or drunk. I alway just felt, well vulnerable. This is a whole different level.

Kudos, to the bystanders who tried to stop the assault. Some would just pull out their phones to start filming.

Unfortunately, violence surrounds us and you need to have your head on a swivel. I stopped biking to work out of fear of becoming a hood ornament by an elder, texter, or drunk. I alway just felt, well vulnerable. This is a whole different level.

Kudos, to the bystanders who tried to stop the assault. Some would just pull out their phones to start filming.
You need a bulletproof car to commute to work these days

Road rage though? Really???? It just seems so damn impossible to believe someone would not just crash into a biker, but then get off and repeatedly stab the person out of road rage.

There just has to be more to the story. It has to be a family member of a patient or a disgruntled patient.

Last edited:
Or a crazy psychotic guy on drugs

Weekly thing in FloriDUH

Hourly thing in Cali.

Let's keep this out of here, as we were asked.

Hourly thing in Cali.

Let's keep this out of here, as we were asked.
Comment on thing. Then ask not to comment further on thing. Pick one or the other.

Has the family specifically asked that people on student doctor not post political things? This is ridiculous. There are a lot of other political items on this thread that have not been edited, but they lean different politically. If you are going to censor people for posting political things, you need to do it across the spectrum, or specifically note the political bent of the site.

• Love
Has the family specifically asked that people on student doctor not post political things? This is ridiculous. There are a lot of other political items on this thread that have not been edited, but they lean different politically. If you are going to censor people for posting political things, you need to do it across the spectrum, or specifically note the political bent of the site.
We aren't editing posts from earlier in the thread. All political commentary from the point that VA commented going forward will be removed, regardless of the direction that comment leans on the political spectrum.

I think we're being reminded to have some respect for the recently deceased, not that we're being censored with a political agenda.

I'm fine to put my political posts in another thread. Here I'll just say that I hope Dr. Mammone is at peace and free from suffering, and that his family is finding the support they need in this difficult time. Seems like the world lost a good one there.

Road rage though? Really???? It just seems so damn impossible to believe someone would not just crash into a biker, but then get off and repeatedly stab the person out of road rage.

There just has to be more to the story. It has to be a family member of a patient or a disgruntled patient.

I don't think so. One time I was driving in Orange country when some guy got out of his car two lanes over, ran over and started pounding on my passenger side windows with his fistswhen my wife and kids were sitting right there. Have no idea what set him off except that I had just turned right and he turned left from the other side onto the same road.

• Wow
  • Sad
I dont even understand what the bolded means.
You don't understand what that means? Maybe Chat GPT can help you.

"Chat GPT, what does it mean when someone runs someone over with their car, gets out of the car, stabs them to death and screams racial slurs about white privilege?"

"The situation you described is a violent criminal act that appears to involve multiple serious offenses, including vehicular assault, murder, and a hate crime. The motivation for such an act may be complex and multifactorial, and the perpetrator may be driven by a range of personal or social factors, such as anger, hatred, bigotry, or mental illness.

It's important to note that any form of violence or hate speech is not acceptable and goes against basic human values and legal standards. Such actions are not only harmful to the victim and their family, but also to the community as a whole, as they can create fear, division, and distrust.
If you or someone you know is experiencing violence or discrimination, it's important to seek help and support from appropriate authorities and organizations. In many countries, there are legal provisions and resources available for victims of hate crimes, and law enforcement agencies may be able to investigate and prosecute such incidents. Additionally, there are many community groups and advocacy organizations that offer support, resources, and education on issues related to violence, discrimination, and hate speech."

You don't understand what that means? Maybe Chat GPT can help you.

"Chat GPT, what does it mean when someone runs someone over with their car, gets out of the car, stabs them to death and screams racial slurs about white privilege?"

"The situation you described is a violent criminal act that appears to involve multiple serious offenses, including vehicular assault, murder, and a hate crime. The motivation for such an act may be complex and multifactorial, and the perpetrator may be driven by a range of personal or social factors, such as anger, hatred, bigotry, or mental illness.

It's important to note that any form of violence or hate speech is not acceptable and goes against basic human values and legal standards. Such actions are not only harmful to the victim and their family, but also to the community as a whole, as they can create fear, division, and distrust.
If you or someone you know is experiencing violence or discrimination, it's important to seek help and support from appropriate authorities and organizations. In many countries, there are legal provisions and resources available for victims of hate crimes, and law enforcement agencies may be able to investigate and prosecute such incidents. Additionally, there are many community groups and advocacy organizations that offer support, resources, and education on issues related to violence, discrimination, and hate speech."
I said I didnt understand what the bolded meant, not what happened during the entire encounter.