Emergent Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matthew87922

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I scored 500 on MCAT last year and applied med schools but didn't get in anywhere. I scheduled my test on July 9th this summer and submitted my AMCAS application in middle of June (I indicated I will retake the test). I did AAMC practice test and score 506 yesterday. Should I reschedule my test day to July 22 (I know I can improve a little bit more)? Will this date be considered as "late"?? Anyone, please give me some advices.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
MDs. So, what's your advice?
Consider applying DO. Even if you get a 510 on your MCAT, at a 505 average, you're still on the low side of MD. If you have great EC's, you have a decent shot, but it will be an uphill battle.

Do the retake only if you are sure you are ready. Do you feel that you could improve by taking more practice tests, or is it due to a lack of knowledge of the material?
If you think it is due to practice, I would reschedule and do everything I can to improve those practice test scores.
Realistically, this will be your last chance to show adcoms that you can handle it. You have to set yourself up for the best application possible, the MCAT being a huge part of it.

What are your GPA and ECs like? Have you considered DO programs?

Reactions: 1 users
Consider applying DO. Even if you get a 510 on your MCAT, at a 505 average, you're still on the low side of MD. If you have great EC's, you have a decent shot, but it will be an uphill battle.

My life is an uphill battle all the time, it doesn't matter to add another one. :) thanks for your advice. Do you think I should postpone my test?

My life is an uphill battle all the time, it doesn't matter to add another one. :) thanks for your advice. Do you think I should postpone my test?
If you really want an MD, yes. In reality, you should not take it until you can get a 515 to counterbalance your 500. That and you will need significant EC's (try to get above 300+ hours in clinical and non-clinical volunteering each). You need to ask yourself, "why do I want to be a doctor?" If it is to help people and make a difference in the world, there is no difference between an MD and a DO, if its to gain the status and power that comes with an MD, you should find another career.

Reactions: 1 users
You should take the test when you feel best prepared to do well on it. If that means skipping this cycle, then so be it. Only you will know how well prepared you are. How well are you scoring on practice tests right now? How well were you scoring on them when you took the MCAT last year? How else have you improved your application since applying last cycle?

Reactions: 1 user
Skipping a cycle is not the end of the world.

MDs. So, what's your advice?
Postpone, take, apply DO.

Apply MD if you must but be aware that it is unlikely you will be considered at any MD granting institution aside from the most generous state/mission driven schools. Also the DO cycle is longer than MD, so the late MCAT will do less damage to your DO app.

Also think hard about if you are ready to take it and apply this cycle at all. It took you a year to go from a 500 --> 506, how much can you really improve in 3 weeks? A bad showing on a second MCAT would be damning, but an extra gap year would not

Reactions: 1 user