Emory BSHE vs. Michigan HBHE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

parapluie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've decided to make a thread for Emory versus Michigan, to follow up with the one on Emory vs. UW. I've conducted all the searches I could on this forum regarding the program comparison between the two schools, and I still have a lot of questions :( Please help me out!

First of all, to all of you--and people you know--who chose Emory over Michigan for its BSHE program, may I ask why? What do you find that Emory offers that Michigan doesn't? Like many, I just can't rule out Emory because of its affiliation with CDC and all these wonderful practicum opportunities that come as a part of the package. But I almost get the feeling that Emory's programs--even BSHE--are more internationally-oriented (is this even remotely true?) whereas I want to do more local community-based program development/implementation. UM is strong in community-based participatory research, and it is indeed something I'm considering. At this point, although I'd most likely use my MPH to do field work post-graduation, I'm hesitant to close doors on academia forever. In that sense, which school is stronger for health behavior/education related research, and for preparing you for PhD after?

In addition, I just find UM to be much more reputable as a school overall, including its medical school, which might facilitate any collaborative work with the School of Public Health.

At this point, I would be lying if I said I weren't leaning towards Michigan. Since I'm an international student, I don't have a problem with the cost of being out of state or anything. Rather, what I'm far more concerned about is how well I would adapt to the life in Atlanta, since it is so far down south and even the climate might not be something I would easily get used to. Essentially, it comes down to the fact that UM seems to be more "familiar" to me in many ways, but practicum opportunities around Ann Arbor are apparently limited--whereas Emory seems to have plenty of internships to offer (34 pages of lists of past placements attached to their e-mail!). UM is ranked higher in the US News and World Report (not the most legit reason but it can't be discounted entirely)--but again, Emory has internship opportunities. I understand that it is possible to find internships in places other than where one does his/her MPH education, but is this easy to achieve? Wouldn't it be better if you start off having all the resources you need (emory) to get you that entrance position?

If anyone can attest to the fact that graduates from UM find health education/promotion jobs just as easily as grads from Emory does, I will love you forever.

I know I've only addressed a few things regarding these two schools, so feel free to share any knowledge you have regarding either one! At this point, knowing more can't hurt :) Thanks in advance for all your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey, I'm debating between Michigan and Emory(EPI program for both school) too! To be honest, I've been changing my mind all the time. Emory's affliation with CDC and other healthcare organizations in Atlanta is really attractive since internship experience is hightly valued in the field of public health. But Michigan seems to have more courses to offer(for epi program), which is appealing to me. The MPH in Michigan is a 60-credit degree while in Emory it is 42-credit(for epi). I'm considering getting a PHD after the MPH so I'm leaning towards more credits. Besides, it won't harm my resume! I'm also an international student, so the location is not a problem to me either. All I concern is which program fits me better. As you mentioned, the public health resources in Ann Arbor was limited, but we don't know how seriously it'll affect our career opportunities. I heard Michigan SPH graduates were very competitive in job market, but it was just hearsay to which I couldn't attest.

Hey guys,

But I almost get the feeling that Emory's programs--even BSHE--are more internationally-oriented (is this even remotely true?) whereas I want to do more local community-based program development/implementation. U \!

I don't know if this well help at all but..
BSHE is NOT only internationally geared. I am not interested in working abroad (in the least bit). A lot of the BSHE profs have projects in the area, not overseas. There are also a fair share that are working or have worked on CBPR projects.

Also, Emory's Med, Law, and Business schools are also ranked with (if that kind of thing is important to you). There are programs that pull together students from different disciplines too.

I personally didn't even apply to UM when I was looking (just didn't seem like a good fit for me) but I did meet about 5 people at Visit Emory who were deciding between Michigan and Emory. All of them chose Emory. For many of them they just got a better "vibe" at Emory and I was told by a few (only hearsay) that the students seemed happier. I can't say if there is any merit to this.

I don't think that every school is right for everyone so I am in no means going to tell you to disregard either. These are just the facts as I know them. I got a lot of insight from talking to current students last year. I would see if each of the departments can put you in touch with a current student. You may find that to be really helpful. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I just graduated from Emory (Rollins) BSHE this past May, and back in March and April 2008, I was in the exact same situation since I was also admitted to Mich's HBHE. However, I don't know if my response will help you much, since a major factor for coming here vs. UMich came down to the out-of-state tuition. Yes, Emory's private, but my COA for Emory came out to roughly $33,000 for 1 year, vs. $50,000+ for UMich as a non-Michigander.

Anyway, Emory's BSHE program is extremely strong, and I ended up following the health education track. The faculty in BSHE here are very strong in AIDS and sexual health issues, as well as CBPR. The classes offered for the core are great, particularly the core BSHE classes in evaluation and behavioral research methods. Also, if it helps your decision, there's a brand new SPH building which opened in August, making the SPH complex two buildings now, with more research facilities and a retro look. Also, being in Atlanta IS great when it comes to tacking yourself to global names like CARE, CDC, and ACS.

Oh, and I just noticed you mention doing a PhD afterwards, in that case you might want to think about concentrating in behavioral sciences as a track within BSHE, because you will take more research methodology coursework...in fact, it's really easy and really common to do a track in both the BS and HE, since there's only 2 classes difference. Also, I will mention to that I'm a MPH, CHES, and for CHES you will get exposure to a prep class taught by some of the people with the CDC who actually sit on the NCHEC board. I will say that the practicum is a good experience, but I think your post alludes to it just being a given that there are these really great opportunities for one. For the practicum, you would definitely have to network early with faculty, or people with local orgs (CDC, etc.) to set something up. The career services office here is notorious for not holding people's hands and really matching students up directly...you have to get something lined up on your own, and I'd recommend by the summer before second year. That list you were sent is probably the same one they've been recycling for years; those are places students have worked moreso in the past 5-10 years, and trust me, it was because these students sought them out on their own for the most part. Good luck with your choice, but I really think you should wait until March's Visit Emory event to make a final choice. That's what I did, and was amazed.:)

Last edited:
Hi Mandy, you can see from my other post that I did Emory's BSHE program, BUT of all the different concentrations at Emory I can tell you that everyone I knew who did EPI and graduated with me already had a job lined up! The EPI program at RSPH is probably the strongest in the sense of direct lines with the CDC particularly, and literally half the faculty in the Epi department incl. the new chair all have current or past ties with the CDC. Believe me, you will get great opportunities if you come to Rollins for Epi. In fact, that new building I mentioned in the other post was partially built to help with the need for larger lab space for all the Epi faculty projects, so that department is truly one of the stronger ones at Emory:D.

Any pro-U of M ppl out there?
I would love to hear from you!

Thanks everyone for your amazing input thus far! It's been really helpful reading these comments.

Dream40: was the CHES certification very difficult to get? In general, are Health Education MPH curricula sufficient in preparing one for the exam? Also, when you were applying, did you end up visiting UMich as well? I'm still in school so unfortunately I can only go to one of the visiting day events, and right now I've signed up for UMich. If it's worth it though, I will fly down to Atlanta on my own time to have a look at Emory.

For anyone who is or was an MPH student at Emory: what are the three things you loved the most about your experience there and the three things you hated the most about it? Thanks a lot in advance!

Hi Mandy, you can see from my other post that I did Emory's BSHE program, BUT of all the different concentrations at Emory I can tell you that everyone I knew who did EPI and graduated with me already had a job lined up! The EPI program at RSPH is probably the strongest in the sense of direct lines with the CDC particularly, and literally half the faculty in the Epi department incl. the new chair all have current or past ties with the CDC. Believe me, you will get great opportunities if you come to Rollins for Epi. In fact, that new building I mentioned in the other post was partially built to help with the need for larger lab space for all the Epi faculty projects, so that department is truly one of the stronger ones at Emory:D.

dreamer40,
Many many thanks for your reply! Yet I have another question: do you think the difference of credits between two schools (Emory is 42-credit while Umich is 60-credit) means anything?

As a soon-to-be Emory MPH in Epi (if I can ever finish this thesis :)): 3 things I like about Emory:

1. The faculty and staff are very supportive. From the ADAPs (a student's first line of defense/support), to the faculty, I feel that it's a very nurturing environment and they really want to see us succeed.

2. Variety of classes. In addition to methods classes I've also taken several MCH-focused classes and GIS. Whether you're interested in ID, cancer, chronic illnesses, MCH, there's something for everyone.

3. Ties to the CDC. I feel like a broken record, but Atlanta provides a vast array of opportunities for students and recent graduates in public health. I don't know anyone from Emory who doesn't have a job in public health, student or graduate. That said, as dreamer pointed out, these are JOBS, which means you have to apply for them.

3 things I didn't like:

1. Class sizes. The methods classes are all 100+ people for EPI. Smaller for BSHE, of course, because the program is smaller, but most of my classes were at least 30-40 people. It's harder to interact with faculty if you aren't a big office hours person (I'm not). But, there are many opportunities to get involved in faculty-sponsored research, paid or volunteer.

2. Disconnect from the rest of the University. I don't know if this is true for other graduate programs, but the SPH somehow seems removed from the rest of the University culture. Maybe I felt that way because I'm really only on campus for class these days? This wasn't all that bothersome anyway.

3. The expense. Emory is expensive, but this is going to be the case most places.

dreamer40,
Many many thanks for your reply! Yet I have another question: do you think the difference of credits between two schools (Emory is 42-credit while Umich is 60-credit) means anything?

Emory's program is a MINIMUM of 42 hours. If you are full-time you can take as many classes as you want each semester (within reason). Note, however, that the workload per credit hour is not the same as in undergrad. I think the average course load is around 12 hours/semester. Also, if you are planning on getting your PhD there's really no point in loading up your schedule. If you receive your MPH from Emory and stay at Emory for your PhD you still have a year of coursework as a residency requirement. If you go anywhere else for your PhD you likely will have to retake most of those classes. I don't know how UM's transition from MPH to PhD works, but generally, if you go to a different school for your MPH/MSPH than for your PhD, SPHs are going to make you retake methods, etc., to learn "their methods".

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Thank you, ald! I really appreciate your input! It's very helpful! :)The website of Rollins SPH EPI program says that every year 5-9 PHDs are admitted out of 100 applicants. I guess it's more difficult to get into than other places? (If I recall correctly, the admission rate of Berkeley is much higher.) Do you think I will be more likely to be accepted to RSPH if I receive my MPH there?

Emory's program is a MINIMUM of 42 hours. If you are full-time you can take as many classes as you want each semester (within reason). Note, however, that the workload per credit hour is not the same as in undergrad. I think the average course load is around 12 hours/semester. Also, if you are planning on getting your PhD there's really no point in loading up your schedule. If you receive your MPH from Emory and stay at Emory for your PhD you still have a year of coursework as a residency requirement. If you go anywhere else for your PhD you likely will have to retake most of those classes. I don't know how UM's transition from MPH to PhD works, but generally, if you go to a different school for your MPH/MSPH than for your PhD, SPHs are going to make you retake methods, etc., to learn "their methods".

Hope that helps!

Thank you, ald! I really appreciate your input! It's very helpful! :)The website of Rollins SPH EPI program says that every year 5-9 PHDs are admitted out of 100 applicants. I guess it's more difficult to get into than other places? (If I recall correctly, the admission rate of Berkeley is much higher.) Do you think I will be more likely to be accepted to RSPH if I receive my MPH there?

I have a question to follow up to that: since Emory's program is divided between MPH and MSPH, does this mean that the MSPH students get the upper-hand in terms of PhD application to Emory when the time comes?

I have a question to follow up to that: since Emory's program is divided between MPH and MSPH, does this mean that the MSPH students get the upper-hand in terms of PhD application to Emory when the time comes?

First, I don't know how competitive Emory is compared to other SPHs for PhD, but it is a ridiculously low acceptance rate. One difference may be that Emory only accepts as many students as they have funding for. This year it may only be 4! Eek! (here's hoping it's better next year when I apply!). It seems current Emory students/grads do have an advantage in the admission process because it ultimately comes down to having a professor who wants to work with you. I dont think there's an advantage for MSPH students necessarily, plus there are so few of them I'm not sure it matters (I think there's 5 in my class of ~120 Epis).

Members don't see this ad :)
While I can't speak specifically I am under the impression that 5-9 is pretty accurate for any PhD program. From what I've seen, most PhD acceptance rates are in the 5%-10% range.

As for Emory...
I am a current student and it's hard to make a list of just three but I will give it a try.
Loves:

Class size. I am in BSHE so our classes are significantly smaller than the big dept.'s (epi, gh). The average class size for the core BSHE classes is between 20-25. I have had two seminars below 15.

Involvement. Whether you want to do research, get involved in a student organization or volunteer there are SO many things to do/ways to get involved. We are constantly getting e-mails about all the opportunities available to us.

Professors. I have found all the professors not only accessible during office hours, but open to meeting to just discuss research, interests, etc. I was not (am not) an office hours person. I get nervous/flustered. I have found all of the professors I have reached out to, to be more than willing to speak with me, assist me, etc.

Hates:
I don't have any "hates" except for Atlanta drivers. I HATE Atlanta drivers.

Emory dislikes:
It's a big campus, and we're at one end. While there are some classes occasionally in other parts of campus we generally tend to say near our home hub.

Starbucks (lack of one) on our side of campus. I'm an addict so technically it's a good thing that there's not one closer but I would like one.

I just realised that Emory is a 2 year program. Is it possible to do it in a shorter time by taking more courses in a semester?

I just realised that Emory is a 2 year program. Is it possible to do it in a shorter time by taking more courses in a semester?

I posted this on another thread but wanted to post it here as well just in case someone with different info doesn't see the other one (due diligence to make sure someone with a different experience can correct me if I'm wrong). I was told that the three semester program was only an option for HPM, EPI, and Global EPI...but the three semester program is more expensive per semester than the 4 semester program, so it's only beneficial in shortening time and not necessarily cost (unless you look at it from an economist stand point and include lost wages for being out of the work force an extra semester, food, housing, etc.)

Anyone know if there are exceptions?

While I can't speak specifically I am under the impression that 5-9 is pretty accurate for any PhD program. From what I've seen, most PhD acceptance rates are in the 5%-10% range.

As for Emory...
I am a current student and it's hard to make a list of just three but I will give it a try.
Loves:

Class size. I am in BSHE so our classes are significantly smaller than the big dept.'s (epi, gh). The average class size for the core BSHE classes is between 20-25. I have had two seminars below 15.

Involvement. Whether you want to do research, get involved in a student organization or volunteer there are SO many things to do/ways to get involved. We are constantly getting e-mails about all the opportunities available to us.

Professors. I have found all the professors not only accessible during office hours, but open to meeting to just discuss research, interests, etc. I was not (am not) an office hours person. I get nervous/flustered. I have found all of the professors I have reached out to, to be more than willing to speak with me, assist me, etc.

Hates:
I don't have any "hates" except for Atlanta drivers. I HATE Atlanta drivers.

Emory dislikes:
It's a big campus, and we're at one end. While there are some classes occasionally in other parts of campus we generally tend to say near our home hub.

Starbucks (lack of one) on our side of campus. I'm an addict so technically it's a good thing that there's not one closer but I would like one.

Thank you so much for this, JMM051! if you don't mind me asking: what do you plan to do with your MPH after you graduate? If you're doing research right now, what is your area of focus?

Hi para, I'm sorry for the delay in replying. No, I didn't visit Michigan in spring 2008 when I was deciding because their visit weekend conflicted with a conference where I was presenting my senior thesis. I do know that at Michigan that their Crossroads building was a main attraction in the materials they sent me for the Admit Visit weekend, because it was a brand new building for the Michigan SPH (Emory also has two SPH buildings now).

And, for the CHES, the admit rate for the exam is usually around 60-70%. And, to be honest, even though there's a great one-day prep course offered by Emory's BSHE program, I'm sure you would pass with the knowledge gained within the UMich HBHE curriculum.

I'm interested in hearing anyone's perspective on these two schools' health policy and management programs. I have been admitted to U of M with a very compelling scholarship (and am in-state), and have also been admitted to Emory (without any money yet, and I feel like they've already given out money). I'm a bit disappointed--I just paid 150 K for another Emory degree, and it really is one of my top choices so I wish they'd share some love.

As far as my perspective on the HPM departments, Emory seems like a very very top notch program. This probably applies to its other departments (certainly its epi and its global health departments). Pros/cons:

1) JOBS: Given that i was at Emory for 3 years, I knew many people particularly in the HPM program, including my wife, and they all pretty much had jobs lined up for them within 3 months or so after graduation (if not before). Emory Career Services is very aggressive and they network very well with alumni, they have a very impressive annual career fair around February every year, and a lot of employers come on campus for networking/information sessions. Emory has a tremendous reputation with public health employers and students have no trouble getting a job nationally/globally.

2) CDC: Yup, the CDC is literally right across the street and many students do their practicum there and end up working there after graduation. Not to mention faculty associated with the CDC.

3) Cost: The cost of attendance is lower than Mich if you're out of state.

4) Length of program: Emory can be finished in 3 semesters.

5) Practicum: Many students work part-time and I think having that experience, oftentimes with the CDC, helps build up a student's resume more than anything.

6) Facility: Emory has a new facility that just opened up this past fall. It looks amazing, even better than U of M's facility.

Cons:

I'm sure there are some..I can't speak to things like class size, etc but I'm guessing that Emory focuses more on getting students lined up with jobs, and perhaps their classes aren't as rigorous or engaging as other programs.

Also, I think Emory is very strong in Policy and I can't speak to their management.

----------------------------------

As for Michigan, I don't really know anyone personally but I do have some impressions based on the times I've visited and what people have said. It seems like Michigan is much more academically-focused with its 60+ credit requirement. At Emory, the students I knew would honestly not do that much work but it seemed like Michigan was more intense.

I also didn't like that U of M really doesn't focus as much on the career aspect--students don't really work part-time but if they do, they are research assistants or graduate student instructors (TAs).

When I asked at the visit day how students got jobs and if they went through career services, they emphatically shot down the career services office and said they just "send an email to an alum" and "network." Anyway, I don't know but I just didn't get a very confident vibe from the students on the job front and I really think that having work experience in public health is very important.

Michigan also is definitely much more management-focused, and I think this is where it probably has the advantage over Emory. But if your focus is policy, then Emory has the advantage.

Also, FWIW, Michigan is two spots higher in US News (though I think Emory is probably going to go up in the new rankings).

So yeah, any other thoughts on U of M vs. Emory? :)

Hey all,
I'm a current UM senior and I was accepted into UM's HBHE program and Emory's Health Policy and Management Program. My #1 choice was to go to UM for their HMP program, but I didn't get into that program so this is where my problem lays...should I go to UM for their HBHE program and try to transfer programs or possibly dual degree or just go to Emory for their HMP program? Any information on either program and their job aspects would be greatly appreciated!

Information I can give:
UM: I LOVE MICHIGAN. Compared to Emory, I think UM's campus is much better. The campus is integrated into the downtown area of Ann Arbor, whereas when I visited Emory, it felt like the campus was small, and a separate entity. In terms of fun, there is always something to do in Ann Arbor and the bar scene/night life is right there on campus. UM's SPH is also ranked higher (though I don't know how much of a difference that makes). I don't know much about the HBHE program, the admitted students day is next week.

Again, UM's HMP was my number one choice but I didn't get in. I love UM so much that I'm considering staying for a program I don't have as much interest for and possibly switching later. The energy here is good and the town is diverse and friendly.

Emory: It seems much more personal at Emory. Their acceptance letter consisted of a small gift (a leather folder) and information packet. UM's acceptance letter was just an email. As a student at UM for my undergrad, I always felt like I was just another number, and from my tour at Emory, it definitely seemed more personal (my tour guide was also a UM student for undergrad who decided to go to Emory for their SPH)! The program seemed to be very career focused, with much talk about practicums, internships, and possible job opportunities. All the talk about the program's interaction with the CDC is also hard to pass up.

Yes, Emory's SPH does have a new building/attachment, but it's pretty much the same as UM's (even the walkway connecting the two buildings is similar). Classrooms will be same at any school, but what I really want to know is more about the programs, job opportunities after graduation, and the social life. YES, the social life. I'm going to be at this school for two years, I don't want to be a hermit for those two years.

Edit: Also, Emory's HMP program isn't CAHME accredited? What is the CAHME and how much does that actually matter?

Hey all,
I'm a current UM senior and I was accepted into UM's HBHE program and Emory's Health Policy and Management Program. My #1 choice was to go to UM for their HMP program, but I didn't get into that program so this is where my problem lays...should I go to UM for their HBHE program and try to transfer programs or possibly dual degree or just go to Emory for their HMP program? Any information on either program and their job aspects would be greatly appreciated!

Information I can give:
UM: I LOVE MICHIGAN. Compared to Emory, I think UM's campus is much better. The campus is integrated into the downtown area of Ann Arbor, whereas when I visited Emory, it felt like the campus was small, and a separate entity. In terms of fun, there is always something to do in Ann Arbor and the bar scene/night life is right there on campus. UM's SPH is also ranked higher (though I don't know how much of a difference that makes). I don't know much about the HBHE program, the admitted students day is next week.

Again, UM's HMP was my number one choice but I didn't get in. I love UM so much that I'm considering staying for a program I don't have as much interest for and possibly switching later. The energy here is good and the town is diverse and friendly.

Emory: It seems much more personal at Emory. Their acceptance letter consisted of a small gift (a leather folder) and information packet. UM's acceptance letter was just an email. As a student at UM for my undergrad, I always felt like I was just another number, and from my tour at Emory, it definitely seemed more personal (my tour guide was also a UM student for undergrad who decided to go to Emory for their SPH)! The program seemed to be very career focused, with much talk about practicums, internships, and possible job opportunities. All the talk about the program's interaction with the CDC is also hard to pass up.

Yes, Emory's SPH does have a new building/attachment, but it's pretty much the same as UM's (even the walkway connecting the two buildings is similar). Classrooms will be same at any school, but what I really want to know is more about the programs, job opportunities after graduation, and the social life. YES, the social life. I'm going to be at this school for two years, I don't want to be a hermit for those two years.

Edit: Also, Emory's HMP program isn't CAHME accredited? What is the CAHME and how much does that actually matter?

Just a note about CAHME, it is the accrediting body for health care management programs, just like CEPH accredits public health programs.

The only real disadvantage is that some administrative fellowships require applicants to be graduates of CAHME accredited programs. Also b/c CAHME requires a strict set of competencies you may be at somewhat of a disadvantage when it comes to entering the workforce, however I would scan the curriculum and course descriptions at Emory's HP&M program before writing it off.

I haven't really considered Emory much up to this point, because I am an international student and I figured i won't have the opportunity to work in the CDC anyway (not full-time at least). Does anyone know if CDC is more lenient towards Canadian students? And if I can still intern there/do my practicum there, even though I might not be allowed to work there post-graduation?

Thanks a lot for your help!

I haven't really considered Emory much up to this point, because I am an international student and I figured i won't have the opportunity to work in the CDC anyway (not full-time at least). Does anyone know if CDC is more lenient towards Canadian students? And if I can still intern there/do my practicum there, even though I might not be allowed to work there post-graduation?

I'm figuring that a lot of what you get on here in response to this will be conjecture or "I had a friend one time that..." haha...there's a lady that's in charge of the Practical Experience Program at Emory and her name and email address are on page 23 of the acceptance packet (I don't want to post them here for obvious reasons, but you can pm me if you don't have access to it). I would think that, with the large number of international students enrolled at Emory, they probably have students in your situation every year and would be able to answer your questions about the CDC and perhaps give you a list or information on other organizations with which international students can work while studying at Emory.

I think you'll get a more definitive and accurate response from them and you might find out something you didn't expect (like another organization you didn't know was an option to work with or perhaps another option for international students that isn't advertised on the website). I hope you get some positive feedback!

I know you can definitely intern there and thus meet your practicum requirement if you're an international student. I know of at least a handful of international students from the 2010 graduating HPM class who did that. I'm not sure if you're HPM/BSHE (I didn't bother reading enough of the thread but based on the title I'll assume the former) and I'm not sure that would make a difference, but I can speak for the HPMers.

I don't really know about whether you could work there full-time. One of the international students did end up doing a paid fellowship at the CDC during her time at Emory, though.

In case any of you were wondering, I went to Michigan's admitted students day and though the events were kind of lackluster, the faculty was amazing. The HBHE program definitely sounds top notch and Michigan seems like the place to be when it comes to research.

I would love more input on Emory's HMP program or just general Um vs. Emory if anyone has anything else to say though, I'm still trying to decide...

Hey all,
As a Rollins alum and a current PhD student at Michigan, oddly, this forum is particularly interesting to listen in on. I would like to say that both schools have their strengths and limitations. My interests are somewhat different -- environmental health and epidemiology -- but I'm familiar with both the BSHE and HBHE programs because of their obvious importance in risk communication.

To me, hands-down, the faculty at Michigan who work in CBPR are unbeatable, phenomenal and have incredible research projects across the country (and world). I work with a lot of these folks in collaboration with the environmental health and epi focus of my research. I think that if CBPR is your end goal, it's a no-brainer to pick Michigan for that particular reason. This is not to say that Rollins doesn't offer the caliber of research or faculty that Michigan does. What it does say is that you won't find a school that has true CBPR (it requires YEARS of trust and collaboration for CBPR) work going on with the pioneers in the field as your mentors. Rollins and Atlanta have their strengths (sometimes I wish the Michigan program could be transported to Atlanta), but I don't think that the compulsion towards Emory and its ties to CDC trump the powerhouse CBPR faculty and resources at UM.

Good luck in your decision. I know it's not an easy one, but rest assured that you'll meet people along the way who can always help you get where you wanna go. Especially in public health.

I just graduated from U of M's HBHE program. It is DEFINITELY very academic in focus (and as a result very theory heavy). If you are PhD bound, and want to do your PhD at the same place you do your MPH, then U of M is great because the PhD program is greatly condensed (1-2 years) if you do your MPH there.

U of M is also the nation's hub for CBPR. Some of the founders are still faculty there.

For HMP, U of M is ranked highest in the nation. Grads seem to be doing a lot of great things as well after they graduate, which speaks to U of M's recognition as a quality public health program.

You need to remember that what is MOST important with graduate work is finding faculty who share your interests. So start looking at faculty bios on both schools websites and I would honestly pick the school with the faculty who have similar research interests. They will provide you with great life-long connections and experience in the field.

Finally, if you are an international student, I would encourage you to go to U of M. There is a very strong international student community at the university in general, and international perspectives were highly valued in every course that I took.

I know Michigan is a stronger research institution but if I am not interested in research as a profession and my interests surround chronic disease prevention (specifically obesity and nutrition) which school would be better? I also cannot decide between these two schools.

I know Michigan is a stronger research institution but if I am not interested in research as a profession and my interests surround chronic disease prevention (specifically obesity and nutrition) which school would be better? I also cannot decide between these two schools.

I am wondering the exact same thing. It seems like Michigan has more obesity/nutrition research going on than Emory does, but like the original poster, I'm not so sure I want to do a PhD after getting my MPH. Am I going to screw myself out of a good career if I go to Michigan instead of Emory?

Great Thread! I had the exact same question, Parapluie!

Hey all,
As a Rollins alum and a current PhD student at Michigan, oddly, this forum is particularly interesting to listen in on. I would like to say that both schools have their strengths and limitations. My interests are somewhat different -- environmental health and epidemiology -- but I'm familiar with both the BSHE and HBHE programs because of their obvious importance in risk communication.

To me, hands-down, the faculty at Michigan who work in CBPR are unbeatable, phenomenal and have incredible research projects across the country (and world). I work with a lot of these folks in collaboration with the environmental health and epi focus of my research. I think that if CBPR is your end goal, it's a no-brainer to pick Michigan for that particular reason. This is not to say that Rollins doesn't offer the caliber of research or faculty that Michigan does. What it does say is that you won't find a school that has true CBPR (it requires YEARS of trust and collaboration for CBPR) work going on with the pioneers in the field as your mentors. Rollins and Atlanta have their strengths (sometimes I wish the Michigan program could be transported to Atlanta), but I don't think that the compulsion towards Emory and its ties to CDC trump the powerhouse CBPR faculty and resources at UM.

Good luck in your decision. I know it's not an easy one, but rest assured that you'll meet people along the way who can always help you get where you wanna go. Especially in public health.
Thanks for this really useful post! I, too, am really conflicted re: Michigan HBHE vs. Emory BSHE. I was not even considering Michigan as an option, but yesterday they gave me a significant scholarship that would make it about 10K cheaper than Emory (though i have not calculated cost of living yet), and back when I was applying i was very interested in some of the faculty who are doing health equity research. I am also very interested in learning how to do CBPR. Unfortunately, I haven't researched michigan as much since i really was convinced that it was a no go (I am out of state) until I got this scholarship... What I want to know is whether research opportunities /are/ easy to come by at Michigan. I ultimately want to build an applied research resume. I'm not sure I want to go on to a PhD, but I want to be able to *do* CBPR when I graduate, potentially in a government or maybe academic setting (perhaps a research firm?) Would I be able to get this at Michigan? Like many people, I am drawn to Emory's connections they market themselves using, e.g. the CDC, ACS, Carter Center, etc etc. Someone on this thread said that students don't tend to work throughout the year, and I am concerned about that because I agree with someone else on this thread (sorry, I've been reading stuff for a while) that work experience is so important (I am going back to school after a 4 year hiatus in order to GET access to research work experience). The question for me is, do I need to go to the more expensive school to get this (Emory?) ? I thought Visit Emory was great but didn't feel completely at ease (not sure anyone does ever, though, once they see that price sticker).

Another question -- does anyone have any feedback on GSI/Graduate Research Assistantships at Michigan? I hear they're pretty hard to get -- though I know that they would bring cost of tuition down even more if I did get one, which would be sweet!!

Thanks so much to anyone who can speak to any of this, and apologies if I've accidentally asked things that have been mentioned already!

Actually, I had the right forum... anyone here care to resurrect this conversation?

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I am sooo glad to have found this forum and reading thru some of the posts has really been helpful.
I am an international student trying to decide between the GH program at Emory and the EPI program at Michigan. I'm a resident doctor in pediatrics in my home country and interested in Infectious diseases and neonatatology.
Pls does anyone have any advice on which program might be better for my focus? If I choose Emory, I'll work very hard to get switch to the GLEPI; or do I just go for where I got EPI outright?
Trying not to focus on the low cost of living, warm weather in atlanta (more like home!) and CDC offerings (cos I'm not to clear on how accepting they are of international students).
Thanks a lot for your anticipated assistance.