Emory decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golftrippy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, has anybody heard from Emory's decision on Dec. 20th that they mailed out? I had a pretty bad interview...but here's hoping anyway :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know when the next adcom meeting is? Their next mailing date is Jan. 31st, but they haven't been strictly following these. Anyone hear anything yet?

EZMcFlo said:
Does anyone know when the next adcom meeting is? Their next mailing date is Jan. 31st, but they haven't been strictly following these. Anyone hear anything yet?

I haven't heard anything yet....still waiting...and waiting....and waiting...

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed Dec. 2 and got an acceptance ~Dec. 23rd if that helps any.

I interviewed on 12/16 (?) and got an acceptance today :)

sweetdoc

sweetdoc said:
I interviewed on 12/16 (?) and got an acceptance today :)

sweetdoc

Congratulations! Do you want to go there? Did it come snail mail or email?

Thanks. I really liked my interview day there, even though I didn't think I did so well in my one-on-one interview. The students seemed very chill and the administrators seemed like they wanted to promote the well being of the students. I also have an acceptance from UNC (my state school), so I think my decision will come down to where I feel most comfortable and where I can get the best hook up, financially. It came via email, but I think they are also sending a hard copy in the mail.

sweetdoc

sweetdoc said:
Thanks. I really liked my interview day there, even though I didn't think I did so well in my one-on-one interview. The students seemed very chill and the administrators seemed like they wanted to promote the well being of the students. I also have an acceptance from UNC (my state school), so I think my decision will come down to where I feel most comfortable and where I can get the best hook up, financially. It came via email, but I think they are also sending a hard copy in the mail.

sweetdoc

So...I think Emory wins the inconsistent reporting award. With this and the Fame thread, we have reports of e-mail, phone, and snail mail notification. Wonder who gets which and why?

golftrippy said:
Hey, has anybody heard from Emory's decision on Dec. 20th that they mailed out? I had a pretty bad interview...but here's hoping anyway :luck:

Ditto on the bad interview and still waiting. I've been waiting like 2 months longer than you have....I think that now it's a matter of do I get to dump them first, or should I hang on a bit longer and wait till they dump me?

Hey, we interviewed at Pitt together. Hmm, that interview day didn't go so well either. I have yet to muster up a thank you note.

ND2005 said:
So...I think Emory wins the inconsistent reporting award. With this and the Fame thread, we have reports of e-mail, phone, and snail mail notification. Wonder who gets which and why?

Everyone gets a letter. I think interviewers are supposed to contact you by phone/email once you are accepted. My med student interviewer emailed me after the holiday break (a couple weeks after I received the letter).

does anyone know how often they send out invites for interviews?

argonana said:
Everyone gets a letter. I think interviewers are supposed to contact you by phone/email once you are accepted. My med student interviewer emailed me after the holiday break (a couple weeks after I received the letter).

So basically, I could hear any time this week. If my interviewer doesn't feel like emailing or calling me, I have to wait and see if I get anything in the mail. Great. I'm thinking about learning yoga so I can relax a little.

funshine said:
Ditto on the bad interview and still waiting. I've been waiting like 2 months longer than you have....I think that now it's a matter of do I get to dump them first, or should I hang on a bit longer and wait till they dump me?

Hey, we interviewed at Pitt together. Hmm, that interview day didn't go so well either. I have yet to muster up a thank you note.

Did we, I was the kid with the red hair and serious bed-head (my alarm didn't go off)--anyway at least my interview at Pitt went well.

Members don't see this ad :)
EZMcFlo said:
So basically, I could hear any time this week. If my interviewer doesn't feel like emailing or calling me, I have to wait and see if I get anything in the mail. Great. I'm thinking about learning yoga so I can relax a little.

But of course, there's also no guarantee you'll get a decision made on your file, even if it did go before committee. So we might all be having this same conversation again next month.

I know it sounds really nice at first when schools say they keep everyone in consideration until the end of the application season, but at some point I wish they'd just tell me their decision, whatever it is, as soon as they make it. The waiting is starting to drive me crazy.

ND2005 said:
The waiting is starting to drive me crazy.

Yeah. tell me about it. The sheet they gave us at the interview says the next batch of letters goes out today (1/31)...but just curious, anybody heard anything official yet (via snail mail)?

stilll waiting over here. I interviewed dec 12 and havent heard yet. I thought i had a good interview, but who knows.... we'll see

Interviewed 1/13...accepted today and pretty stoked about it. It came via the snail. Anybody have any insight on Emory vs. UVA? I'd be happy with either, but I'd love to hear some opinions...please support them. Lack of support adds nothing but chafing.

dean879 said:
Interviewed 1/13...accepted today and pretty stoked about it. It came via the snail. Anybody have any insight on Emory vs. UVA? I'd be happy with either, but I'd love to hear some opinions...please support them. Lack of support adds nothing but chafing.

i think emory is a great school and is actually a bit under-rated

i posted this in some other thread:
emory is about to revamp all its med school facilities as part of its strategic plan, its rehauling a lot including med school facilities, curriculum, state-of-the art technology, etc etc emory university is putting a lot of money into the med school...emory just came onto the scene in the early to mid 1990s and has gotten a lot of prestige and achieved a lot within the last decade.. within 10 years emory will be top 10-top 15 just watch..i think for the long-term prospects emory will be your best bet

emory med school also just sold an HIV drug, EmTriva (Em = stands for emory really creative huh) to a pharmaceutical for half a billion dollars making it the largest sale of intellectual property by any university...its has a termendous amount of opportunities and connections including Grady (20 mins to downtown by shuttle usually faster if you have a car), Emory Clinic (on campus), Crawford Long, Centers for Disease Control (CDC-its freaking on Emory's campus), Winship Cancer Institute, EXCELLENT neurology and cardiology deparments (a lot of famous people use Emory Healthcare including Muhammad Ali and President Jimmy Carter who is affliated with Emory), CNN's Dr. Sanjay Gupta also has connections with Emory med, Emory has connections with its surrounding institutions including Georgia tech (one of the best biomedical engineering programs in teh nation), Morehouse, etc etc, plus getting medical experience in a city like Atlanta will be amazing..plus emory has an amazingly BEAUTIFUL campus in a relatively very safe area...basically my point is that emory will give you a lot of experience and opportunity and emory WILL ONLY increase its prestige over the years

Interviewed 1-9-06, accepted today via snail mail! Woohoo!

dean879 said:
Interviewed 1/13...accepted today and pretty stoked about it. It came via the snail. .

So i guess if we haven't gotten anything yet, then it's a no-go? :(

Just out of curiosity - does anyone know of someone that's gotten into Emory even after being passed over a few of the adcom meetings? In other words, I interviewed a few months ago and haven't heard anything....would love to get an acceptance this round or next (am dying when thinking about a rejection or even a wait-list)...

Gah.

I have such a crummy feeling about Emory.

I don't know what it means exactly, but it can't be a good thing that people who interviewed after us are getting acceptances.

GA_MDhopeful said:
So i guess if we haven't gotten anything yet, then it's a no-go? :(

Just out of curiosity - does anyone know of someone that's gotten into Emory even after being passed over a few of the adcom meetings? In other words, I interviewed a few months ago and haven't heard anything....would love to get an acceptance this round or next (am dying when thinking about a rejection or even a wait-list)...
Yep, my roommate interviewed in the middle of October and got accepted in December. I think they're making the bulk of their acceptances in March after interview season is over and they've had a chance to review anyone, so try not to stress about it too much! Best of luck.

I'm in! I just received an acceptance packet this afternoon via snail mail. Good luck to everybody!
-OL

:thumbup:

OrganLibrarian said:
I'm in! I just received an acceptance packet this afternoon via snail mail. Good luck to everybody!
-OL

:thumbup:

Got an acceptance today also!
Interviewed 1/9.
good luck to all!

-josh

Don't lose hope if you've been waiting a while. I interviewed the first week of Oct. and just got an acceptance today!

are they still sending out interview invites? is there a status website for them?

panoramaelegant said:
are they still sending out interview invites? is there a status website for them?

I'm curious about this as well. more importantly, does emory interview anyone with an MCAT below like 38? :rolleyes:

safeflower said:
I'm curious about this as well. more importantly, does emory interview anyone with an MCAT below like 38? :rolleyes:

yea - me ;)

but i haven't gotten in yet.....so i guess that doesn't prove shat...

safeflower said:

I definitely had an MCAT below a 38, quite a bit below :)

There is definitely hope!!

interviewed first week in jan, got the official acceptance word thursday (though i already knew since monday...)

ladyballa1492 said:
interviewed first week in jan, got the official acceptance word thursday (though i already knew since monday...)

Congrats ladyballa!

Anybody who interviewed 1/20 receive any news yet?

I also interviewed in October. It was my first interview, and not a particulary good one. Has anyone received any other form of communication -- rejection or waitlist -- from them? Basically, should I assumed that their correspondence (most likely a wl/rj) didn't reach me or they just haven't sent anything out yet?

eachpeach said:
I also interviewed in October. It was my first interview, and not a particulary good one. Has anyone received any other form of communication -- rejection or waitlist -- from them? Basically, should I assumed that their correspondence (most likely a wl/rj) didn't reach me or they just haven't sent anything out yet?

same situation with me. first interview....wish i had more practice beforehand (since this is a school i actually care about).

anyhow - emory doesn't send out any rejections or waitlists until sometime this spring (i don't remember exactly which month). until then, they only send out acceptances.

in some ways, could be good. but also cruel to those of us just sitting here and wondering.... :(

eachpeach said:

Like you, I was certain that I would be getting bad news after waiting for four months. So I was really surprised to get an acceptance yesterday. It looks like they really do keep our applications in consideration until March. They don't send out any W/L or rejection letters until then.