SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Emory Health Policy and Management

Discussion in 'Public Health Degrees (Masters and Doctoral)' started by slolo, May 11, 2008.

1. slolo

Apr 14, 2008
    Does anyone have any advice about Emory's HPM department compared with other schools. I have heard some mixed things-- although it is a great PH school someone told me that she was not happy with this department. Any input?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Anonymous01

Anonymous01 7+ Year Member

May 18, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  4. aupz23

aupz23 7+ Year Member

Feb 20, 2007
    My friend's cousing graduated with her MPH in health policy & management from Emory; she getting ready to complete her health administrative fellowship at Emory Hospital in Atlanta. She liked it okay.
  5. eastwardbloke

Jun 26, 2008
    The HPM department at Emory is rigorous. However, because of the large size of the program, it's really up to you on what you get out of it. The faculty, for the most part, have open doors. They work you pretty hard, especially in the management and msph track. The healthcare marketing, physician and hospital services are 2 hour electives, but with the amount of work that goes in, they could pass for 5 credit hours.

HPM kids always joke about the other departments (global, bshe, epi) because they like to sit on their arse while we attend endless group meetings. Like most of the good MPH programs, you can take electives outside of your department. So you have access to top notch faculty across the board, including Candler, Gozuieta, Law.

The only knock on the department is the wide range of caliber there. There are a couple students who clearly should not be in grad school, let alone at a decent program such as Emory. Also, the age range tends to skew toward the younger crowd. I'm not sure what the stats are at other schools, but the average HPM student has only a year or two of work experience under his/her belt.

For those interested in pure hospital administration, I would suggest going elsewhere (JHU, UMich?) But if you're looking for an multidisciplinary experience, Rollins offers it all. I spent my practicum in a post soviet bloc, as a management intern for a US based NGO. They are building a new $50 million dollar research center adjacent to the current PH building. Along with Emory's close working relationship with the CDC, the MPH degree at Emory will remain highly relevant for years to come