Emory NYU or Maryland - Which one would you choose?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nontraditional

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you only had the following acceptances, which school would you choose and why?

*State School (UMaryland)
*NYU
*Emory

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know anything about Maryland, and not much about NYU except that it has a good location...

...but Emory's training hospital will really provide you with good experience. It's a rare hospital that accepts anyone, even non-citizens, and you'll see things such as TB and Malaria, pretty uncommon stuff at other places.

Also Emory has a strong School of Public Health. Some CDC staff are actually also instructors at Emory's SOM and SPH. a few spots for CDC summer internship are reserved for Emory students.

Although Emory has a letter graded system, the students there said that most people get A's (I guess they mean about or over half of the class).

So I guess my choice will be Emory

Members don't see this ad :)
Save your money and go to Maryland.

primarily based upon location and subsequent opportunities - I vote for NYU.

I think that Emory is a very underrated medical school. I consider it to be every bit as good as Duke's medical school, but I know I will probably get some disagreement on that. I have also heard really good things about Maryland. Although Emory is more prestigious name-wise, is it really that much better than Maryland when you consider the tuition difference? Only you can answer that one.

One other thing about Emory: you have all of your tests on the same day. Some students don't like that, and prefer to attend a school where tests are arranged throughout the week to allow for a better study schedule. Some students don't care. The chance to live in a great city like Atlanta might make it worth it.

I don't know a thing about NYU, but if it were me it would be between Maryland and Emory.

Dont get me wrong, I love Emory and its a fantastic school, but its no Duke, not by a long shot. In just about every single aspect Duke has some significant advantage over Emory (the MAIN exception: Atlanta >>> Durham).

That said, Emory is a great school in a great location, but so is NYU. I dont know much about NYU since I didnt apply there, so I cant do much in the way of comparison, but reputation-wise they are both similar and they are in major cities. The cost of living in Atlanta would be way lower. I really liked Emory a lot though, everything seemed new and the city is great. I dont think you can go wrong with your choices.

Originally posted by Clemson Doc
I think that Emory is a very underrated medical school. I consider it to be every bit as good as Duke's medical school, but I know I will probably get some disagreement on that. I have also heard really good things about Maryland. Although Emory is more prestigious name-wise, is it really that much better than Maryland when you consider the tuition difference? Only you can answer that one.

One other thing about Emory: you have all of your tests on the same day. Some students don't like that, and prefer to attend a school where tests are arranged throughout the week to allow for a better study schedule. Some students don't care. The chance to live in a great city like Atlanta might make it worth it.

I don't know a thing about NYU, but if it were me it would be between Maryland and Emory.

I would vote for NYU. Location Location Location. That goes well with it's reputation. You'll definately have a lot of interesting opportunities there and be very well respected going into your residency. Emory is also a very good school, but I would vote for NYU. As for Maryland, I too have that difficult choice of state school (UFlorida) vs. better private school (Mt. Sinai). That's up to you...how much is the extra money worth it to you?

Go to Maryland!!

After getting in to Maryland I dropped a bunch of interviews b/c I'm highly considering going there.

It's not even my state school but it does cost a bunch less than some private schools. For you nontrad, it's even cheaper.

I'm excited about Maryland even though I've been at Hopkins for the past 6 years. There is a lot of good work done at UMd. Granted the research isn't as great as JHU, but it's in the top 50 and the hospital is beautiful. Plus all the serious trauma victims go to Shock Trauma over Hopkins, so you'll see some pretty crazy stuff.

Nontrad, you seem to be nontraditional. I knwo for a fact that a lot of older/married/parents students go to UMd.

Originally posted by greenie8
Go to Maryland!!

After getting in to Maryland I dropped a bunch of interviews b/c I'm highly considering going there.

It's not even my state school but it does cost a bunch less than some private schools. For you nontrad, it's even cheaper.

I'm excited about Maryland even though I've been at Hopkins for the past 6 years. There is a lot of good work done at UMd. Granted the research isn't as great as JHU, but it's in the top 50 and the hospital is beautiful. Plus all the serious trauma victims go to Shock Trauma over Hopkins, so you'll see some pretty crazy stuff.

Nontrad, you seem to be nontraditional. I knwo for a fact that a lot of older/married/parents students go to UMd.

I'm excited about Maryland as well. However, although expenses (tuition, cost of living) are a factor, I want to try and make my decision independent of costs... otherwise I would choose USUHS - which is also an option. Are there other reasons to choose Maryland over NYU or Emory? Or Emory over NYU or Maryland, etc. All three schools offer excellent clinical opportunities from what I gathered.

Everyone: please share your thoughts!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you have to live in New York then definately Emory.

I liked NYU when i interviewed there and i know tons of absolutely fantastic physicans who have graduated from there but Emory seems to be one of the nicest surprises.

Student housing is great, the med school is fantastic, Emory as a university is a powerhouse, etc.

So it comes down to this : you want to live on the East coast then NYU. If location is unimportant then Emory.

Forgot to mention something :

:clap: :clap: Congrats on your 3 GREAT acceptances :clap: :clap:

Wait until you receive your financial aid package. NYU is notorious for giving very little in the way of grants. If you are really wealthy or don't mind borrowing 40-50 K per year, NYU is alright for you. Otherwise, I would say that neither one of those schools is worth the price over Maryland.

Personally, I'd take Emory and ATL over ALL.

Originally posted by Tezzie
Forgot to mention something :

:clap: :clap: Congrats on your 3 GREAT acceptances :clap: :clap:

Thank you, Tezzie! I never thought I would see the day!!!

I found the two schools to be kinda similar. Two great teaching hospitals. Bellevue vs. Grady? tough choice. Basically, if you want a little warmer place with southern hospitality, go to Emory. If you want an East Coast school, go with NYU. I'm a NYer through and through, so I listed NYU a bit higher than Emory in terms of my preference, although Emory was a nice surprise to me.

You're a much braver soul than I leaving cost out of the picture. If you're decide to stay the middle course, you can find two bedroom apartments within 5 minutes of Emory for $850 or so per month. That's less than half of what you're paying in New York unless they have subsidized housing or something like that (plus you get parking in Atlanta).

You've got nice options, whatever the case.

I think Maryland is a great school! I was totally impressed with the shock-trauma center and I think you get a lot of great experience by rotating through it.

If you don't mind my asking, when did you interview at Maryland and when were you informed of your acceptance?

I interviewed on 12/18 and am anxiously awaiting their response.

COngrats on three great acceptances!!! Good luck with your decision.

First of congrats, on the acceptances! I don't think you can really lose with any of the schools you are picking from.

NYU has a great location but UMD has a nice location as well (right next to Camden Yards!).

I have lived in Baltimore for virtually all of my life and although I was accepted at UMD and was waitlisted at JHU, I may want to try a different city for a few years.

However, I really love Baltimore and I must say that Baltimore is a really neat city. One of the distinguishing features about Baltimore is that it has a lot of interesting areas such as Fells Point, Canton, Inner Harbor, Hamden, etc.... At first, a lot of people don't like Baltimore, but after a few years, it grows on you.

UMD is a very good school that sends quite a few of its med students to Hopkins for residency. Also the new biotech park around UMD is scheduled to begin construction sometime soon. Since the early 90s, UMD's research dollars have been rapidly increasing dramatically.