Emory or Cleveland Clinic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Emory or Cleveland Clinic?

• Emory

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • Cleveland Clinic

Votes: 65 69.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oneofmany

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have a short time to decide between the two.

Emory: Atlanta, 5-year MD/MPH, CDC next door, Grady/Emory for clinical rotations, small group/lectures, more expensive, larger class size

CCLCM: Cleveland, 5-year MD with research year and research emphasis (possible MS), University Hospitals/Metro/Cleveland Clinic for rotations, PBL/seminars, tuition is covered so much less expensive, 32 class size

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have a short time to decide between the two.

Emory: Atlanta, 5-year MD/MPH, CDC next door, Grady/Emory for clinical rotations, small group/lectures, more expensive, larger class size

CCLCM: Cleveland, 5-year MD with research year and research emphasis (possible MS), University Hospitals/Metro/Cleveland Clinic for rotations, PBL/seminars, tuition is covered so much less expensive, 32 class size

I think that you'd get much better answers if you would provide us with some insight of what you plan to do after medical school.

I would prefer Emory but I would take the Cleveland Clinic because it's tuition-free, and you're doing the 5th anyway no matter which one you pick.

I voted for Cleveland Clinic. That's a wonderful program. Congratulations!

Both are great schools/programs, so I think the major considerations are going to be location and cost. Cleveland, though a decent city, doesn't really compare to Atlanta in terms of things to do. It's obviously much colder and you get seasonal variation, whereas at Emory the weather will go from warm in the winter to hot in the summer. On the other hand, CCLCM is probably much much cheaper for you. The class size may or may not be a limitation depending on what kind of person you are. Not sure where you are from or whether distance from home matters much to you.

You will see a diverse smattering of patients at both schools, although Grady's clinical experience will arguably be "more relevant" if you're concerned about public health, in the sense that you'll be put on the front lines as a medical student almost immediately. That is not a thumbs down to CCLCM's rotations at all though.

Forgive my (serious) ignorance re: Public Health, could you define: "more relevant"? :confused:

Please keep in mind, at CCLCM, students can and do rotations just like any other Case student. That is, you are not 'limited' to rotations (or even research labs) at CCF. There are several major hospitals in and around cleveland that you have access to.

Forgive my (serious) ignorance re: Public Health, could you define: "more relevant"? :confused:

Please keep in mind, at CCLCM, students can and do rotations just like any other Case student. That is, you are not 'limited' to rotations (or even research labs) at CCF. There are several major hospitals in and around cleveland that you have access to.

Sorry, I should have elaborated. Grady Memorial serves an indigent population. So in this broadest sense, you might see more situations concerning the delivery of medical care and preventative care (ie medical access, outcomes with vs. w/o insurance, nutrition-related illnesses). No doubt you will see these at either school, but my sense is the issues will be much more prevalent and jarring at Grady. Of course I'm just a pre-med, so take my advice with a grain of salt. :D

Sorry, I should have elaborated. Grady Memorial serves an indigent population. So in this broadest sense, you might see more situations concerning the delivery of medical care and preventative care (ie medical access, outcomes with vs. w/o insurance, nutrition-related illnesses). No doubt you will see these at either school, but my sense is the issues will be much more prevalent and jarring at Grady. Of course I'm just a pre-med, so take my advice with a grain of salt. :D
So does Metro, which is the county hospital in Cleveland. It's one of the Case (including CCLCM) teaching hospitals. Cleveland also happens to be a depressed rust belt city with relatively high unemployment and one of the oldest housing stocks in the entire country. You definitely see a lot of socioeconomic issues here, including a high rate of lead poisoning.

Oneofmany, vc7777 is the nontraditional student I was telling you about. :)

congratulations on two amazing choices...i was actually in the same dilemma and did a lot of my own research for both schools which i can share with you below

first of all, is Emory giving you any money?? definitely follow the money which will probably mean Cleveland Clinic..

while Atlanta >>>>> Cleveland in almost every aspect (weather, diversity, things to do, night life, local economy, etc), really examine how you would fit into the two different programs because they are drastically different..

Cleveland Clinic is an extremely unique program..and not for everyone...I personally think its really cool..but make sure you'll fit:

- small-class size (32? people) though the good thing about this is that the University Program has >150? people and there is an associated undergrad campus at Case if you want to socialize outside of your class
- no exams (which I think is awesome but you need to be highly motivated)
- relatively new program still tweaking curriculum and limited track record---not many graduates so far (only 2 or 3 graduating classes so far?) so the program won't be well known or immediately recognized by residency directors though the "Cleveland Clinic" name is more than recognizable in medicine
- there seemed to be more of an emphasis on basic science bench research and clinical research...not so much public health though I did meet a couple of students doing public health related work

as for Emory..it has the 1.5 year curriculum which means will be fast-paced though classes still end around 1 or 2 pm but no Thursdays off like Cleveland Clinic, 4-6 months discovery phase to do research instead of an extra year like Cleveland Clinic, start clinical exposure from year 1 like Cleveland Clinic, will see a lot of amazing cases at Grady Hospital as I am sure you will at Metro

Emory's School of Public Health is ranked #7 on the US News rankings (http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...te-schools/top-public-health-schools/rankings) and Emory and Atlanta have amazing opportunities for MPH-related work:

(1) Centers for Disease Control is basically on Emory's campus
(2) Emory's Global Health Institute
(3) Emory's Institute for Developing Nations
(4) Emory's Carter Center (former US President Jimmy Carter is on faculty at Emory and his Nobel Peace Prize winning organization which is directly affiliated with Emory since inception does tremendous amount of global health related work throughout Africa..and Jimmy Carter is invited as a guest lecturer in a couple of classes at the public health school)
(5) American Cancer Society is headquartered in Atlanta and associated with Emory
(6) CARE is headquarted in Atlanta and is associated with Emory
(7) prominent faculty members, former US ambassadors and leaders in public health and international development (Jimmy Carter, Dr. Sanjay Gupta, Dalai Lama, Melvin Konner, etc)
(8) Atlanta is one of the main hubs for refugees and people who are granted asylum by the US government

its a tough decisions but good luck...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think that you'd get much better answers if you would provide us with some insight of what you plan to do after medical school.

+2

Anyway, I personally withdrew from Emory after sitting too long on their secondary. Forgive my obvious bias towards my future home for the next five years. :)

Length of training: If you're doing an MPH, you're taking an extra year regardless.

Curriculum: CCLCM is definitely unique with their heavy PBL, portfolios instead of grades, small class size, research emphasis. Depending on you, this should be either a huge advantage or disadvantage, which makes the decision easier.

Cost of attendance: CCLCM is offering you a full ride! If you have to pay for the MPH year at Emory as well, the financial difference is astronomical.

Clinical training: You'll see the underserved at Metro, but you'll also get to rotate at CCF, UH, Rainbow, and the VA - I think Case definitely one of the best schools in terms of their affiliated hospitals.

Residency placement: By the time we graduate, there will be another four classes before us, so it will be a lot more established by then. Looking at how the first two have done, this is easily the least of my worries.

Location: I don't know that much about Atlanta, but after revisiting Case/CCLCM, I don't think Cleveland is as bad people make it out to be. Hey, I'm looking forward to paying less than half as much for rent.

Thanks for all of the responses everyone.

I would be OOS for Emory and my family is in the midwest. I've visited Emory and won't get to visit Cleveland again before deciding, but Cleveland struck me as a decent place to live and seemed very affordable. I really enjoyed Atlanta, but am not sure I would base my decision that much on location. I think both schools have great strengths and would be good matches for different reasons, so it's a tough call.

I would be OOS for Emory and my family is in the midwest. I've visited Emory and won't get to visit Cleveland again before deciding, but Cleveland struck me as a decent place to live and seemed very affordable. I really enjoyed Atlanta, but am not sure I would base my decision that much on location. I think both schools have great strengths and would be good matches for different reasons, so it's a tough call.

Yeah, that's a toughy. PM me if you want - since we are potential classmates (Whatever CCLCMer said: lies :smuggrin: ) - check out the Facebook page (if you haven't already).

Please report back your decision for us!

:luck: Good luck!

I don't really see what the tough call is then. You seem to be happy with both cities and both programs. So go with the money!

I don't really see what the tough call is then. You seem to be happy with both cities and both programs. So go with the money!

CCLCM is a lot to think about: dress code, mandatory attendance, etc. It's worth doing some soul-searching.

And don't forget weather differences. It SNOWED in Northeast Ohio this weekend :eek:. It is May, right?

CCLCM is a lot to think about: dress code, mandatory attendance, etc. It's worth doing some soul-searching.
Don't forget that they also chain us to the chairs during class. It's a rough life, but some of us have to live it.

And don't forget weather differences. It SNOWED in Northeast Ohio this weekend :eek:. It is May, right?
It hasn't snowed in Cleveland for at least a month. :confused: We did get a thunderstorm with some hail a couple of days ago though. Maybe that's what you mean?

Thanks for all of the feedback. My vote went for CCLCM.

Don't forget that they also chain us to the chairs during class. It's a rough life, but some of us have to live it.

No bathroom breaks? Or will I have to ask for permission from the teacher like in 1st grade? Will I be unchained or do I have to bring my chair to the bathroom? :scared:

...:laugh: Which is funny because one of the doctors there said he chained his grad students to the desk to work 60-70+hrs/wk and that's how they each get a pub and presentation each year they're in lab.

CCLCMer said:
It hasn't snowed in Cleveland for at least a month. :confused: We did get a thunderstorm with some hail a couple of days ago though. Maybe that's what you mean?

:eek: Hail in May??

It snowed a bit when we were there for Second Look!! And hailed briefly. And sleeted too!

Are the chains covered by the scholarship? If we find them for less money on-line, can we buy them ourselves?

If I send them in ahead of time to the IT department (Interrogation Technology), will this be possible?

Aren't you glad that CCLCM provides the chains for free? We all get the same kind, and it's ours to keep after we graduate too!

Fluffy,

You get your orientation package yet? Here's an excerpt for you in case you didn't: demonstrating proper attire and chain use:

guy_chair_chains-sleep.jpg

I can't wait to get that free computer! It's definitely a 'laptop' model as promised!

I plan on wearing lighter chains on Casual Friday, though...

No bathroom breaks? Or will I have to ask for permission from the teacher like in 1st grade? Will I be unchained or do I have to bring my chair to the bathroom? :scared:
The chairs are all-purpose, so you never have to get up for any reason, including going to the bathroom. At night, you can even recline them back, like airplane seats. They're not the most comfortable, but hey, you only have to sit in them for two straight years. CCLCM is not the program for a bunch of wimpy whiners.

...:laugh: Which is funny because one of the doctors there said he chained his grad students to the desk to work 60-70+hrs/wk and that's how they each get a pub and presentation each year they're in lab.
The real question is, do the desks recline?

So what you're telling me is, even summer thunderstorms would rather live in OH than CA. :p

Are the chains covered by the scholarship? If we find them for less money on-line, can we buy them ourselves?

If I send them in ahead of time to the IT department (Interrogation Technology), will this be possible?
Both the chairs and the chains are included as part of your scholarship.

Aren't you glad that CCLCM provides the chains for free? We all get the same kind, and it's ours to keep after we graduate too!
Never mind a chain--this year, the first years get a free chain mail suit that conforms to the dress code perfectly. I'm incredibly jealous.

chainmail%20suit-output4.JPG

That's right! It's a selling point to the residency directors, too:

"But wait...act now, rank this candidate and we'll throw in these free chains! Already pre-fitted and time-tested to keep this candidate on the wards!"

Quarter-sized hail, as a matter of fact. It only lasted ten or so minutes, though.

Never mind a chain--this year, the first years get a free chain mail suit that conforms to the dress code perfectly. I'm incredibly jealous.

chainmail%20suit-output4.JPG
You think that'd help me with resistance training?:D

Not saying it's not a great program. Just saying it's definitely not for everyone.
Oh, I'm the first one to say that this program is not for everyone, and I honestly believe that. But of all the things that I would advise applicants to think about when they're trying to decide if this program is right for them, the two you mentioned are so inconsequential that they wouldn't even make it on my list. I mean, compared to things like the fact that we have no tests, no grades, a class of 32, an extra year of school, a location in a city that some people don't like, and a still fairly new program, don't you think that deciding whether or not to attend CCLCM based on the dress code and the class attendance is kind of silly?

Besides, no matter where you go to med school, at best, you're just postponing having to dress professionally and show up every day by two years, not eliminating the need to do those things. They aren't exactly going to let you do your third year rotations from home in your pajamas!

Status
Not open for further replies.