Emory RSPH - Fall 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I deferred from Emory (GH) last year and am very excited to be attending this fall!

I know this is super early, as most of you haven't heard back yet (don't worry - I heard back around this time last year, so fingers crossed for everyone! :xf:), but I just wanted to put this out there so that Emory-bound folks can start getting acquainted/share info on housing, etc.

:)

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats!! I was accepted in to Emory's GH program as well :D Which concentration do you want to do or what do you want to focus on?

Right now, Emory is by far my top choice. Has anyone started looking at possible apartments and such down there? It's been quite a shock to me. While I'm used to ridiculous tuition, the cost of living here in Michigan is super cheap. The apartments down there are much, much higher in rent than I'm used to.

Any current students on here willing to answer questions?

Congrats!! I was accepted in to Emory's GH program as well :D Which concentration do you want to do or what do you want to focus on?

Right now, Emory is by far my top choice. Has anyone started looking at possible apartments and such down there? It's been quite a shock to me. While I'm used to ridiculous tuition, the cost of living here in Michigan is super cheap. The apartments down there are much, much higher in rent than I'm used to.

Any current students on here willing to answer questions?

Congrats! I'm really leaning towards the Reproductive Health and Population Studies concentration, though I'll probably want to also take the core classes from the Community Dev't concentration. Haha! Course catalog = overwhelming! How about you?

Housing does look expensive, but definitely not as expensive as places like NYC or DC, so that was part of Emory's appeal for me. I'm hoping that if you find a house/room mates, it'll end up being a reasonable price. Fingers crossed! Hopefully some current students can weigh in on this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! I'm really leaning towards the Reproductive Health and Population Studies concentration, though I'll probably want to also take the core classes from the Community Dev't concentration. Haha! Course catalog = overwhelming! How about you?

Housing does look expensive, but definitely not as expensive as places like NYC or DC, so that was part of Emory's appeal for me. I'm hoping that if you find a house/room mates, it'll end up being a reasonable price. Fingers crossed! Hopefully some current students can weigh in on this.

Reproductive health and the rest of the title lol!! I want to increase access to safe family planning methods internationally (well, better women's health care access in general but that's my main focus).

My problem is that I'm moving with my partner (fiance- maybe spouse by the time I move, it hasn't been decided yet...) which makes the whole roommate thing a bit more difficult. I'm hoping to find one, but I don't know if people would want to live with a random couple :oops:

I guess that's true, that comparatively, it's cheaper. I've been accepted to Minnesota and St. Louis so for me it's much more expensive than the alternatives.

I do hope current students will weigh in.

I was accepted to Emory's Epidemiology program a couple days ago, and am pretty set on going there. Michigan is my number one choice, but I haven't heard anything from them, so I don't have much hope.

I've never been to Atlanta, so I have no idea about the city or the housing situation, so that'll definitely be an eye-opener.

I was accepted to Emory's Epidemiology program a couple days ago, and am pretty set on going there. Michigan is my number one choice, but I haven't heard anything from them, so I don't have much hope.

I've never been to Atlanta, so I have no idea about the city or the housing situation, so that'll definitely be an eye-opener.

You are going to LOVE Atlanta. There is so much to do in the area where Emory is located. Decatur is really a nice college 'town', and there is plenty to do all over the city. It's basically one the main cultural centers of the Southeast.

Housing is not terribly expensive in the area. You can get a very nice apartment in a gated community very close to the campus for $1,000 or so per month last time I checked, but you can always go much cheaper if you hunt Craigslist or live in a different neighborhood. But the neighborhood right near campus is pretty nice.

I was accepted into the epidemiology program at Emory. It's my second choice, and I wouldn't even be upset if I didn't get into my first choice because I loved the campus when I was there for their open house.

Housing isn't as bad as it seems when you first start looking. Generally, you can find housing within a couple of miles of campus for <$800 per month depending on number of roommates, etc. I pay $525 for a room in a house with 2 roommates so it is very reasonable, and I have a friend with 2 roommates that pays less than that. If you want to live alone then you will be paying closer to the $800 range for an apartment. The Emory and Decatur areas are safe and nice parts of the Atlanta.

You can start looking on Craigslist now to get an idea of what is out there. Emory also has a graduate student housing website. It is basically like Craigslist for Emory grad students so it is less shady than CL and you can find really good deals that are close to campus. I'm not sure if you can access the site before accepting your admission, but it is an excellent resource when it becomes available to you.

Finally, I encourage all accepted students to attend the Visit Emory event in March. There is a lot of great information about the program presented there, and you'll get to explore the area. There will be housing information available as well. Last year, there was a panel of students who talked about housing options as well as a "housing tour" to open houses at some local apartments.

Housing isn't as bad as it seems when you first start looking. Generally, you can find housing within a couple of miles of campus for <$800 per month depending on number of roommates, etc. I pay $525 for a room in a house with 2 roommates so it is very reasonable, and I have a friend with 2 roommates that pays less than that. If you want to live alone then you will be paying closer to the $800 range for an apartment. The Emory and Decatur areas are safe and nice parts of the Atlanta.

You can start looking on Craigslist now to get an idea of what is out there. Emory also has a graduate student housing website. It is basically like Craigslist for Emory grad students so it is less shady than CL and you can find really good deals that are close to campus. I'm not sure if you can access the site before accepting your admission, but it is an excellent resource when it becomes available to you.

Finally, I encourage all accepted students to attend the Visit Emory event in March. There is a lot of great information about the program presented there, and you'll get to explore the area. There will be housing information available as well. Last year, there was a panel of students who talked about housing options as well as a "housing tour" to open houses at some local apartments.

Thanks for all the information! I went to the fall open house and loved the campus, the faculty, and the students were all so knowledgeable and very passionate about their field of study. It was refreshing to see. I know you said it may not be available to us, but do you have a link for the Emory website that's like Craigslist?

Thanks for all the information! I went to the fall open house and loved the campus, the faculty, and the students were all so knowledgeable and very passionate about their field of study. It was refreshing to see. I know you said it may not be available to us, but do you have a link for the Emory website that's like Craigslist?

I think this is the link for all the housing options

I'm probably going to use it instead of Craigslist because I'd feel more comfortable being in a graduate student housing area. Plus, carpooling!

Not sure where someone got 1k a month (unless you are living by yourself in a really sweet place or at the new Gables property across from the CDC). I lived close to campus in a gated community with a ton of amenities. I definitely had the nicest place of all of my friends-stainless steel appliances, granite countertops etc. For a 2br we each paid about 650. I had friends that lived in nice rental houses that paid like 400/month in Candler Park/Poncey Highlands.

I just found out this week that I've been accepted (BSHE)! I thought they were very hospitable & welcoming when I visited, but I'm not sure about living in Atlanta.

I've been born & raised in Southern California and only visited Atlanta for the open house. I want to work as a community health educator to reduce health disparities, particularly in Asian American communities. While I know the AA population in Atlanta is modest, I was thinking I could gain a lot of skills and build my network by being in the public health capital.

My other consideration is the cost of tuition. I saw on a previous post that Rollins is stingy when it comes to scholarships. What are other folks plans for financing this?

I'm still waiting to hear back from some schools.

Not sure where someone got 1k a month (unless you are living by yourself in a really sweet place or at the new Gables property across from the CDC). I lived close to campus in a gated community with a ton of amenities. I definitely had the nicest place of all of my friends-stainless steel appliances, granite countertops etc. For a 2br we each paid about 650. I had friends that lived in nice rental houses that paid like 400/month in Candler Park/Poncey Highlands.

Yeah, I was thinking about gated communities on LaVista right near Whole Foods, for an apartment. Obviously it is always cheaper to have roommates chip in, and I noted that plenty of cheaper housing was available in houses or different neighborhoods nearby. Plus you have to take into account quickly (and vastly) increasing taxes on anything living-related in DeKalb county. Just sayin' what I know.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
derp double post

Last edited:
Has anyone received their official acceptance packet yet?

I got my notice of acceptance on OPUS probably two weeks ago and still haven't seen an official email or packet come my way, so I have a tiny sense of doubt.

Has anyone received their official acceptance packet yet?

I got my notice of acceptance on OPUS probably two weeks ago and still haven't seen an official email or packet come my way, so I have a tiny sense of doubt.

Nope :(
I only got my acceptance on 1/19 though.

So I know I'm just being super anxious about it (aren't we all?) but I'm wondering how long Emory decisions take.

I got an email today saying that my department (Global Health) was reviewing my application, and to expect a decision in 3-6 weeks. I do not have a second or third choice department. Does anybody else have a more accurate estimation of how long it will take for them to make a decision?

So I know I'm just being super anxious about it (aren't we all?) but I'm wondering how long Emory decisions take.

I got an email today saying that my department (Global Health) was reviewing my application, and to expect a decision in 3-6 weeks. I do not have a second or third choice department. Does anybody else have a more accurate estimation of how long it will take for them to make a decision?

My app was forwarded to GH on 1/11 and I got in on 1/19. Don't know how long it will take you, but good luck :D

I got my opus acceptance 2 weeks ago and I'm still waiting for the "accepted package"....they said either email or mail and I'm starting to get antsy checking everyday

Do you get an email that a decision was made, or do you just have to check OPUS yourself?

Hey!

Thanks to everyone who posted housing info! Super helpful. I checked out the Emory housing list and a lot of the posts seemed reasonably priced. Hopefully there'll be more in the months to come! Though, must say, I am looking into Campus Crossings just for the sake of convenience (I won't be able to visit Emory before orientation).

And I noticed a lot of people asking about the acceptance packet, so tried to piece together my timeline post-OPUS decision letter. I was accepted 1/05, and by this time last year I was worried about not receiving anything else, so I emailed RSPH and they emailed me the admitted student documents within a week, and people started to get theirs in the mail about the same time (1st-2nd week of Feb). I got my financial aid offer on 3/26 (sent in FAFSA on 1/08, I think). Hope that gives you guys an idea! You should be getting your official stuff soon!!! :)

Congrats on all the acceptances!

And I noticed a lot of people asking about the acceptance packet, so tried to piece together my timeline post-OPUS decision letter. I was accepted 1/05, and by this time last year I was worried about not receiving anything else, so I emailed RSPH and they emailed me the admitted student documents within a week, and people started to get theirs in the mail about the same time (1st-2nd week of Feb). I got my financial aid offer on 3/26 (sent in FAFSA on 1/08, I think). Hope that gives you guys an idea! You should be getting your official stuff soon!!! :)

Congrats on all the acceptances!

Thank you! That was helpful. Now I know I should continue agonizing over financial aid until the end of March. :scared:

Not sure if anyone else is watching the FA webinar but here's some points of interest: only about 40-45 merit scholarships are awarded each year- finalists are notified in late February. FA packages come out early-mid March.

In case anyone is interested :)

Not sure if anyone else is watching the FA webinar but here's some points of interest: only about 40-45 merit scholarships are awarded each year- finalists are notified in late February. FA packages come out early-mid March.

In case anyone is interested :)

Thanks! Good to know.

Hey all,

I haven't received a decision from Emory yet via OPUS, but I just got an email from them saying that my financial application was received. I submitted my fafsa last week (estimating my tax info since I haven't done tax return yet). In their email they stated that "A personal Financial Aid Advisor has been assigned to you and will be your main contact throughout your student experience" and to check OPUS and whatnot. So it made it sound like I got a decision by their wording, but I have no luck on the decision when I checked OPUS. Did this happen to anyone before they got their official opus acceptance notification? Just curious.

Hey all,

I haven't received a decision from Emory yet via OPUS, but I just got an email from them saying that my financial application was received. I submitted my fafsa last week (estimating my tax info since I haven't done tax return yet). In their email they stated that "A personal Financial Aid Advisor has been assigned to you and will be your main contact throughout your student experience" and to check OPUS and whatnot. So it made it sound like I got a decision by their wording, but I have no luck on the decision when I checked OPUS. Did this happen to anyone before they got their official opus acceptance notification? Just curious.

I think I remember reading something in an earlier thread about people getting their financial aid packages before an official decision, but I could be wrong.

I just got my email today too regarding my financial application, so I'm not sure? Supposedly, Emory will be sending out emails and acceptance packages the first few weeks of February, so you might have to wait a little longer!

I think it might have just got sent out to everyone who submitted a FAFSA, but I'm not sure. I got it, but I was accepted a few weeks ago.

I think it might have just got sent out to everyone who submitted a FAFSA, but I'm not sure. I got it, but I was accepted a few weeks ago.

I agree with you. SOPHAS mailed my application on Wednesday. By Friday morning Emory emailed me saying they received it..Then Friday evening I got another email about them receiving my FASFA. So they send FASFA information before they make a decision.

I applied to Emory today, since sophas said they were still accepting applications. Weird to say, but Emory is my top choice; I just took the GRE on Jan 3rd, which was their deadline. Anyone think since they're still accepting apps that I have a chance?:confused:

Everyone should check OPUS just in case, Emory's been posting decisions without e-mailing people. My decision was posted weeks ago and I still haven't received an e-mail.

So I just logged in to my OPUS account and saw a new option to "Pay Admissions Deposit," but when I went to "View Online Decision" it said there was still no admission decision available yet. Has this happened to anyone else? Or any idea what it means?

So I just logged in to my OPUS account and saw a new option to "Pay Admissions Deposit," but when I went to "View Online Decision" it said there was still no admission decision available yet. Has this happened to anyone else? Or any idea what it means?

That happened to me and then a few days later my admission decision appeared. I think that's happened to a few other people on here as well, and as far as I can tell it's been good news all around!

EEEEEEK this just happened to me.... oh the suspense!!!!

That happened to me and then a few days later my admission decision appeared. I think that's happened to a few other people on here as well, and as far as I can tell it's been good news all around!

Thanks, let's hope the streak continues!

I just got into the Global Health MPH!!! :soexcited:

For reference, I submitted SOPHAS 12/26, mailed SOPHAS 1/24, application receipt email from Emory on 1/25, complete notification/OPUS creation 1/28, chronic checking inbetween, and acceptance letter on OPUS 2/8!

Also, does anybody know what types of applicants receive merit aid at Emory?

According to the Facebook page, those of us admitted should be getting packages very soon!!! :D from FedEx just fyi

I think they're starting to get financial aid packages together. I just got an alert from them saying that I was over my direct loan limits (which I'm not so I'll have to deal with that but whatever). I assume this means they're starting to at least look at financial aid. Just an fyi :)

Hey Guys!
Just wondering if there was a supplemental application for Emory or just the SOPHAS app?
Thanks :) and congrats to everyone who got in! Crossing my fingers :)

I think I've decided on Epi at Emory too! Excited to move to Atlanta!

Hey Guys!
Just wondering if there was a supplemental application for Emory or just the SOPHAS app?
Thanks :) and congrats to everyone who got in! Crossing my fingers :)

No supplemental, and a very fast turnaround. I got my acceptance just over two weeks from my confirmation. You shouldn't have to wait too long. Good luck!!

Thanks so much for the help. I just turned in my app on Friday so hopefully I'll find soon! :)

How long did it take you guys after you turned in your app to Sophas?

Submitted: 12/20
Mailed: 12/28
Accepted: 1/19

Hey guys! I'm still waiting for my Emory decision from Opus, but I received an email regarding some items I need to take care of for financial aid. One of my notifications told me that I have "13-14 NSLDS Loans in Excess." Did anyone get a similar message and if so did you just call their financial aid office or how do you deal with this problem? Thanks!

Hey guys! I'm still waiting for my Emory decision from Opus, but I received an email regarding some items I need to take care of for financial aid. One of my notifications told me that I have "13-14 NSLDS Loans in Excess." Did anyone get a similar message and if so did you just call their financial aid office or how do you deal with this problem? Thanks!

I got the same thing! I can't believe they sent a reminder notice when they just alerted me on Saturday.

I emailed my FA officer and she's going to be out of the office until Thursday so looks like I won't know until then. I most definitely do NOT have loans in excess though. I emailed my undergrad school too and asked if they could look at my NSLDS to see what's causing the flag.

I'm actually quite irritated about this whole thing. I don't think I'll be able to afford Emory anyway but still :annoyed:

I work during their open hours so I can't call. If you do, let us know what they say!

Last edited:
I got the same thing! I can't believe they sent a reminder notice when they just altered me on Saturday.

I emailed my FA officer and she's going to be out of the office until Thursday so looks like I won't know until then. I most definitely do NOT have loans in excess though. I emailed my undergrad school too and asked if they could look at my NSLDS to see what's causing the flag.

I'm actually quite irritated about this whole thing. I don't think I'll be able to afford Emory anyway but still :annoyed:

I work during their open hours so I can't call. If you do, let us know what they say!

Yea it's kinda slowing down the process too especially if they are busy with so many other student's financial aid applications. I definitely will be pulling all sorts of crazy loans if I get accepted into Emory and choose to go here :p I will try and get a hold of them tomorrow and let you and others know!

I got the same thing! I can't believe they sent a reminder notice when they just alerted me on Saturday.

I got the same thing even though I'm not in excess for a graduate program. Maybe it's a glitch? *fingers crossed*