Emory RSPH - Fall 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just confirmed all GH merit scholarships have also been announced. Seems like they all have! Congrats to anyone here if you got one.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi I'm just wondering if anyone knows whether international students are eligible for merit-based scholarships. Also, has anyone from Epi heard of their scholarship decisions?

Thanks!

Hi I'm just wondering if anyone knows whether international students are eligible for merit-based scholarships. Also, has anyone from Epi heard of their scholarship decisions?

Thanks!

I think epi scholarship decisions have been sent out already...it was implied on their facebook page.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think epi scholarship decisions have been sent out already...it was implied on their facebook page.

Hi all - I'm currently a second year merit scholar at RSPH - just to chime in, all merit scholarship decisions have been released at this point for all departments. Everyone who applies to Rollins (including international students) are considered for the scholarships.

However, the deadline for accepting the award isn't for a little while (I don't know the exact date this year, but I think it was in April for my year). Sometimes specific scholarships are re-distributed if students do not accept the them, so some people may receive a scholarship later (this is a very small number of people, but just FYI).

I haven't read the whole thread, but I did see someone reference Visit Emory on a previous page in conjunction with scholarships. The scholarship recipients are chosen well before VE and if funds are re-distributed, they have people already identified. Point being, don't be nervous that not coming to VE will affect your chances to get a scholarship (It's an awesome opportunity to learn a lot about the school and the programs and I highly recommend it, but don't feel like you HAVE to come).

Last edited:
Hi all - I'm currently a second year merit scholar at RSPH - just to chime in, all merit scholarship decisions have been released at this point for all departments. Everyone who applies to Rollins (including international students) are considered for the scholarships.

However, the deadline for accepting the award isn't for a little while (I don't know the exact date this year, but I think it was in April for my year). Sometimes specific scholarships are re-distributed if students do not accept the them, so some people may receive a scholarship later (this is a very small number of people, but just FYI).

I haven't read the whole thread, but I did see someone reference Visit Emory on a previous page in conjunction with scholarships. The scholarship recipients are chosen well before VE and if funds are re-distributed, they have people already identified. Point being, don't be nervous that not coming to VE will affect your chances to get a scholarship (It's an awesome opportunity to learn a lot about the school and the programs and I highly recommend it, but don't feel like you HAVE to come).

A very thorough reply! Thank you!

For some reason, I'm an idiot and didn't fill out FAFSA and am just now doing it. I thought the concrete deadline was March 15th, but apparently it is March 1st. How screwed am I? Will I even get money?! :scared:

Call FinAid. They are really helpful and cool.

For some reason, I'm an idiot and didn't fill out FAFSA and am just now doing it. I thought the concrete deadline was March 15th, but apparently it is March 1st. How screwed am I? Will I even get money?! :scared:

I don't think they offer much, if anything, in the way of anything need-based.

I don't think they offer much, if anything, in the way of anything need-based.

Well, I am claiming myself as an independent and going straight to grad school after graduating undergrad so I think that qualifies as need-based. I have never filled out FAFSA before, so I'm kind of new/lost with how it works.

Well, I am claiming myself as an independent and going straight to grad school after graduating undergrad so I think that qualifies as need-based. I have never filled out FAFSA before, so I'm kind of new/lost with how it works.

Right, but even with a low EFC, that's no guarantee of anything. Many people going to grad school are going to have a low/0 EFC as many of us are coming straight out of UG.

Just for the sake of getting it done, I would file ASAP and contact Emory's financial aid office and see if you can still file with them.

Just for the sake of getting it done, I would file ASAP and contact Emory's financial aid office and see if you can still file with them.

Yeah, I have most of it filled out just the tax part is missing. I'm calling them first thing tomorrow. I hope hope hope I can still file with them. Thanks everyone for the input!

Sorry, didn't mean you shouldn't fill it out. You absolutely should because that's the only way you can get gov loans. I just meant there's probably nothing to freak out over.

Members don't see this ad :)
a/c to the above posts since the recipients are already selected for merit awards -i dint get any notification till now:(:( means i have no hope for merit award now?:(

a/c to the above posts since the recipients are already selected for merit awards -i dint get any notification till now:(:( means i have no hope for merit award now?:(

Hi reflectionss, notifications have gone out, but, as I said before, some of the scholarships may be redistributed later if the recipient(s) choose to go to another school. This is only a very small number of scholarships, but there is still a chance to receive one.

As for need-based, RSPH does offer the Rollins Earn and Learn program (REAL) which used to be called practical experience. I believe it amounts to $2,000/semester (max pay-out). Essentially, you get a job with CDC, Carter Center, CARE, Rollins, other PH organizations that participate in the program and get paid $12/hour to get amazing hands-on experience. Your host organization pays $6 of the $12 and RSPH pays the other $6, you can work up to $2,000 per semester (or less if you don't have the time, etc). It's a really cool program that a lot of students get (I don't know the %, but it's pretty high).

I know the poster said he/she is going to contact fin aid this morning, but I would just like to reiterate to others that there are need-based financial aid offerings outside of merit awards for RSPH students, so make sure to fill out your FASFA and get in touch with them!

**I do not know if international students qualify for the REAL program, you would need to contact the financial aid department to find out.

thanks Awapi
i am an international student so i cannot fill out FAFSA...i was expecting some merit award but sadly i didnt get any :( So now I ll contact the financial aid department for the REAL program n see how that floats :)

I visited the campus last weekend and put a deposit on an apartment while down there. The Harwood Condominiums on Houston Mills Rd is a five minute walk. Clean and quiet. 1100 for a large, enough for two people, 1 bedroom. Free parking. For me it's all about location. I have to be able to walk to class. Hope to meet some of yall once school starts. Cheers!

I visited the campus last weekend and put a deposit on an apartment while down there. The Harwood Condominiums on Houston Mills Rd is a five minute walk. Clean and quiet. 1100 for a large, enough for two people, 1 bedroom. Free parking. For me it's all about location. I have to be able to walk to class. Hope to meet some of yall once school starts. Cheers!

Those are great condos. Right near amazing pizza (Mellow Mushroom!!!), Whole Foods and a really nice Kroger/Publix, a handful of Starbucks and a Caribou, and of course, campus. And a local Jewish bakery with really great bagels.

As a current student at Rollins (who will also be sitting at the student housing panel at Visit Emory), I thought I would interject a little bit to allay some of the concerns people are having regarding the financial aspects of RSPH. First REAL-- or Practical Experience, or whatever sort of euphemism you want to use for what is effectively a non-federal work study. If you would like to get funding for REAL my suggestion is to complete your FAFSA early, as determination for this program is dependent on student need and funds available. Most students have access to REAL opportunities. Effectively the way it plays out is that Rollins matches 1k and your employer pays out 1k per a semester for the work that you complete. Payroll for this program is through Emory by direct deposit so you get a paycheck every couple of weeks for what you work. Typically REAL is not available to international students. However, there are jobs which fall outside of REAL which you could be eligible for and typically you make around the same amount. There is also a jobs database called the Rollins Opportunity Link (ROL) which provides a lot of sources for job prospects. The second issue I want to address are the projected costs. Being blatantly honest, Emory is expensive. However it is not as crazy expensive as people think if you use proper strategy. The estimated costs at Emory are inflated and the reason for that is that Federal Loans are based on the estimated costs. The Office of Financial Aid wants the estimated costs high so that everybody has enough funds to attend. One of the best ways to reduce costs are your living expenses. A lot of things at Emory are inclusive in your tuition and there are a ton of events and "free" food to go around. You could literally eat lunch just about everyday for free on campus because there is always some event giving away food. Living expenses in Atlanta are pretty reasonable and I would suggest utilizing the off-campus roommate finder as well as the student blog which should be coming online within the next few months. It gives you access to interact with your future peers and find roommates to split housing costs. Having saved a little bit to pay for my living expenses and factoring the money I am making within my summer internship this upcoming summer, I am looking at somewhere in the ballpark of in the low 50s in total student loans (all of which are Federal Stafford @ 6.8%) when I graduate. So far, I take a bit of my REAL money every month to pay off any accrued interest so that it doesn't compound while I am going to school and then I plan on paying off as much principal as possible my first year out to reduce to effects of compounding in the future. Moral of the story, if you plan on living the high life in grad school, plan on being in a lot of debt and a little less glamor later on. However if you manage your money properly, RSPH can be manageable. As I looked at other options last year such as Columbia, which has anywhere between a 80-100k price tag or UW (out of state) with a 75-80k , RSPH certainly wasn't the most expensive in the pack. If you're looking at the top 10 programs, you can find programs that cost less, namely if you choose state schools as an in-state resident. But do you get the same product? Emory is a private school. What goes with that are smaller classes, professors who know you on a first name basis, and an alumni network which is open to talking with you and helping you with the pathway of finding the job you want. There's also a premium which goes with that. It's not to say you can't get similar outcomes with a state school, but you will have to take the extra initiative to stand out and get people's attention. Just my two-cents.

Is anyone on here searching for a roommate? I think it would be cool to live with another public health student.

I might be! I just need to hear from one more school!

Definitely looking for one too! I heard that Emory's going to be releasing a group for all of us to talk and figure out housing plans and the like at the end of this month.

Just got my FA package. All loans (which barely cover tuition + fees) and the 4k Earn and Learn grant or whatever.

Oh well, living in a warm place was a temporary nice dream :)

I might be going too :) I would be more than excited to have a roommate! I'm waiting for one more place!

Finally got my financial aid package. $4000 for a Rollins Earn & Learn Award and $33,000 in unsubsidized Stafford loans.

It's definitely not significant enough to warrant a cross country move and 2x as much debt at Emory than UCLA.

In my Financial aid package i got a 4,000 need based award, 4,000 Earn and learn and 33,000 in unsubsidized loans. UNC is still cheaper for me as an in state student.

When did y'all submit your FAFSAs? My "inquiry access" is still denied on OPUS (is that where we're supposed to check)??

Is this group going to be through fbook or the website? I'll be looking for a roomate. Figured visit Emory would be good for meeting people and I'm doing a tour of the apartment Briarcliff next Thursday. If anyone else is let me know!

hey :)
aren't there any international students around here sharing their experience at Emory? :shrug: I have been accepted to few programs and still waiting for one more school before I decide - Emory, BU (with merit) , GWU and SLU. I am looking at all pros n cons here:scared: can any one share how friendly is Emory regarding international students and their life @Emory in general ?

Is this group going to be through fbook or the website? I'll be looking for a roomate. Figured visit Emory would be good for meeting people and I'm doing a tour of the apartment Briarcliff next Thursday. If anyone else is let me know!

I feel like last year there was a Facebook group started and the orientation blog, but I forget when they started them. Hopefully soon!

Would it be possible for you to share your thoughts on Briarcliff here once you visit? I won't be able to visit Emory before the fall, so I'm thinking of staying at Campus Crossings this year because it seems convenient. I'd love to hear any impressions once you see it! :)

Looking forward to meeting some of you in the fall!

I feel like last year there was a Facebook group started and the orientation blog, but I forget when they started them. Hopefully soon!

Would it be possible for you to share your thoughts on Briarcliff here once you visit? I won't be able to visit Emory before the fall, so I'm thinking of staying at Campus Crossings this year because it seems convenient. I'd love to hear any impressions once you see it! :)

Campus Crossing at Briarcliff was the first place I looked at while visiting Emory two weeks ago. It seemed like an ok place at first. A convenient shuttle that runs every 15mins or so to campus. All the residents are grad students. I thought this could be helpful. The place is furnished but not with the most comfortable stuff in the world. However, all the other places I toured were unfurnished. At these other apartment complexes I asked the current residents about Campus Crossing. No one really had anything positive to say other than the shuttle service. I was told the walls were paper thin. Staff wasn't very helpful, although the woman who gave the tour seemed incredibly nice. Parking is terrible. One person had come from Campus Crossing looking to get away from the racket and the others just had friends or had heard negative things. Yelp is interesting because some of the reviews seem super positive. Almost too positive. There is one review on the main page that seems to be more inline with the negatives I heard and then there are the filtered reviews...6 filtered reviews. These reviews of the place were so bad that they wont show them on the main page. I also didnt know you could do this on Yelp.. You have to type in those jumbled words to prove you're not a robot before you can get to these reviews. Strange.
You can find it here: http://www.yelp.com/biz/campus-crossings-at-briarcliff-atlanta

Hope this helps. Sorry to be so negative.

Hey Guys! Just got into Emory :) I'm soooo excited! Congrats to everyone who got in already and goodluck to those who are still awaiting decisions!

Hi, I´m still waiting on a decision from Rollins but I just got an email inviting me to their live webinar on the 28th, anyone else get the email? (especially if you haven´t received a decision yet!)

Also is anyone planning of "attending" it? ;)

Here are my thoughts on Campus Crossing (I graduated last year and spent my entire two years in the apartment complex). Please excuse if my tone is a bit exasperated because I do sometimes get very annoyed at some of the complaints directed at CC.

First of all, this is a LARGE apartment complex. Like all large complexes, it functions as a business and, like all businesses, money comes first. That said, the staff doesn't completely ignore you as a person. To address some complaints against the staff: yes they ARE forgetful and annoying to deal with sometimes because you have to keep reminding them (paperwork seems to be a mess). When I moved out my security deposit was lost for about three weeks and I had to keep calling them about it. They were not rude and responded to my requests. However, you are responsible as a tenant as well to KEEP TRACK of every business you conduct with them. Keep reminding them. Get receipts. Keep all email correspondence. Give your rent IN PERSON (I've heard stories of how they lost checks given through their wall mailbox). Other than that, the staff has always been very polite, and the custodial personnel are certainly always ready with a smile. Don't know if they took this away, but there used to be free Keurig coffee in the office; I used to pop in there in the morning just for that reason and did not get any remarks on that.
The building is VERY new, constructed within the past year or so. Everything is furnished and every apartment gets its own washer and dryer. I really don't understand complaints against the comfort level…It's pretty much a glorified dorm room, what does anyone expect? Let's be thankful that you have less than 10 people who have slept on the bed you will be sleeping on. Also, a washer and dryer you can use at any time of the day (not accounting for roommates)? Walls are thin, yes, but can you guarantee the walls of other places won't be as thin? Like everything, it all depends on your neighbor AND your tolerance. I had an upstairs neighbor who sounded like an elephant running a marathon at 6AM in the morning or 2AM at night. I put in a complaint about, twice, and the staff said that if it happened again let them know, they will charge a fee for disturbance. There is a small fitness room! It comes equipped with two treadmills, one stationary bike, and two ellipticals (one seems to always be out of service), and a set of weights. Small, yes, but when the Emory gym seems like it's on the other side of the planet and you want to exercise on a weekend when shuttles don't run, it's a gem. It CAN and WILL get crowded, and it smells like a horrible mixture of sweat and humidity and rubberized floor.
On to the MOST important factor for me in choosing CC: LOCATION. It is LITERALLY a 10 minute leisurely walk to Kroger and Rite Aid. This factor is a godsend when you've moved across the country, have no car, and know no one. Sure everyone talks about public transportation or hitching a ride with a friend, but let's think about it. Do you want to be carrying around three bags of groceries on public transportation? Do you want to keep asking your friends for favors (they may offer, but after a while it WILL get annoying for them)? What if you want to grab something super quick because your project/thesis is due the next day? Convenience for me was everything, and CC fit that bill.
Parking is only for tenants except for a few precious visitor spot. And yes, parking is expensive (they charge you a fee). CC increases its rent every year because it knows it's so damn popular. That is one of my main problems about them. The trash/recycling can get really messy and overcrowded, usually because graduate-school level occupants do not have the intellectual capacity to put trash in the trash bin and sort their recyclables rather than throwing it all to the floor (I felt super bad for the custodial staff). The pool area can get loud at night, especially when you have idiots who think it's okay to have very loud conversations/swim around at 2AM in the morning (hopefully you won't get a poolside apartment).
Other than that I've never had any other problems. It has always annoyed me the complaints directed against CC, some of which I felt reflects a very spoiled nature. Please excuse this assumption because I have had my fair share of extremely ****ty, greedy, could-care-less landlords and apartments crawling with roaches. If I need something fixed, it will be fixed (may need a little reminding sometimes). If I have a question, they will answer it (may not always be the answer you want). Landlords and tenants may never see eye to eye, and you can't expect them to be your best friend. Give them your money, live your life and finish school, make sure your rights as a tenant aren't violated, and move on. If you feel like CC gives off a ‘dorm-room' feel and you don't feel like an adult (yes I've heard this excuse), let me just break it to you that YES it IS pretty much a dorm (almost all tenants are Emory students). And also, being an adult involves more than picking out your own lovely apartment and furniture.
This is a very long post, I just realized. Hopefully it'll help someone with their choice…

Thanks for the information on Campus Crossing!

I've been googling and can't find a straight answer - how much is rent and parking at CC?

no problem...if anyone has any questions about CC just post them here and I'll try to answer best as I can.

It's been a while so I don't quite remember the shuttle schedule, but I think it runs ever 15 minutes in the early morning, switches to every 30 min (more like 40 if you account for bad ATL traffic), and then to 15 minutes in the evening. Sometimes when it was still light and weather wasn't too bad you can just walk home. ATL is beautiful during autumn.

I don't think those rent prices include utilities or parking. You should call in and ask; I don't know how much it was when I was living there because I never had a car. I do know that they DO run out of spots in the main parking structure right by the complex, so they lease out open air parking spots in a lot about two blocks away (right by the Kroger plaza). Although that may be cheaper, it's still highly inconvenient.The only bill my roommates and I had to pay was electricity. There is no gas and no internet fee.

Some other housing options include Post Briarcliff (a bit further away) and Harwood Apts (I think that's the name...). Harwood is VERY close (across the street from Rollins) but unfurnished. I had a friend who said she had hers furnished for an extra fee so you may want to check on that...Also check the off-campus Emory housing website.

I also made a mistake in my earlier post. CC didn't collect security deposits from us when I lived there, but it was a rent payment I made for a summer month before I found a subletter. Speaking of which, they charge you ~$150 to sublet your apartment for the summer...

Ditto on the gratitude!

I'm not sure if these costs include all the utilities and other fees, but by room, here's how much they are:

http://www.livebriarcliff.com/Floorplan+Rent_3D.aspx

Do you know if the top option's $620 total (for all three that live there) or $620 per person? I live in an area where ~$600/person (apartments >$1200 total) is the norm and I heard Atlanta's more reasonably priced than that.

Do you know if the top option's $620 total (for all three that live there) or $620 per person? I live in an area where ~$600/person (apartments >$1200 total) is the norm and I heard Atlanta's more reasonably priced than that.

I believe that would be per person. You can get rooms around $500 range (or even $450) the further you go away from campus. The CC price reflects it being new + furnished + having internet access installed and paid for.

Hey there, I am, like several of you, beginning the search for a roommate. I'm excited to be heading back to ATL (where I also did my undergrad) after a few years away. Private message me if you are looking for a female roommate.

checking out places to liiiiive. very tempted by campus crossings because I don't like the idea of driving down Clifton during rush hour or having to pay for parking.

Could any current students list other apartment complexes that would be convenient by shuttle? (CCTMA, Exec Park, etc, also work for mee). I have actually never lived in apartments so I think I need a more laid-back non-dorm vibe if possible. I even thought about living in Midtown since the EUHM and GT shuttle would make that ok

Hey guys - I just wanted to address some of the fiscal concerns people are having regarding attending Emory.

I got into UCLA (I'm from California), Columbia, and Emory, and was initially way leaning UCLA just because of the money, even though I liked both other schools better. After visiting Columbia, I loved the academic environment, but nothing really encouraged me regarding my earning power during and after grad school.

Emory totally changed my mind! I also only got the Earn and Learn Award. However, not only was almost every single current student I met employed by two places (it didn't seem too stressful time wise like it would at Columbia) - usually the CDC and doing research - but all of the grads I met had insane, fiscally good jobs (Deloitte, the CDC, etc).

I wanted to see if it really would be that easy to find an additional job on campus, so I emailed a professor who I thought was doing awesome research. Within a couple hours, he had emailed me back offering me a position.

So yes, Emory is obviously more expensive than other places, but it left me feeling confident that going there was an investment that would pay for itself - something I didn't feel at Columbia at all.

So my impression of campus crossings is that it is extremely convenient and a good place to live for one year and then look for cheaper options once I know people at Rollins and get to know the area a little bit better. Campus Crossings is exactly like everyone describes...it is close to campus, has parking (the price depends where in the garage you park the noncovered section I think they mentioned was cheapest), comes fully furnished, has appliances, there is a pool and gym area, they have recycling, shuttle comes directly there, you have to pay for cable and electricity but doesn't seem that bad, and 24 maintenance, I am moving from Boston so for me this seems like the best option. I don't want to rent a Uhaul and bring stuff and this place is cheaper and MUCH more spacious then my small unfurnished place in Boston.

I am thinking about starting to fill out an application for Campus Crossings this weekend and I am looking for either a 2 or 3 person apt there so if anyone is thinking about this as well please message me. I know there will probably be a facebook group and a place on the website once the acceptance date passes, but I am trying to get a head start on things if anyone else is interested.

I definitely sent out a bunch of PMs. I'm also looking for a roommate possibly at Campus Crossings or somewhere else relatively close...I'm even down with carpooling.

A little about me:
My name is Jessica. My family is Chinese, but I act pretty white. I'm born, raised, and educated in Arizona and am looking to get out of here (at least for a little bit haha). I'd say I'm pretty chill and clean most of the time--my room turns into a cluttered mess when exam time comes around though. I do like my sleep during the week, so I'd prefer relatively quiet people. Feel free to be a party animal on the weekends ;).

I'm coming straight from undergrad at University of Arizona; majors are biochemistry, molecular and cellular bio, and anthropology. I will be an EH-EPI MSPH student. I'm not sure yet of when I would want to move in.

No car. Nail polish addict. I like to cook and do meals together, but that is not a must.

PM me if you have any other questions.

So my impression of campus crossings is that it is extremely convenient and a good place to live for one year and then look for cheaper options once I know people at Rollins and get to know the area a little bit better. Campus Crossings is exactly like everyone describes...it is close to campus, has parking (the price depends where in the garage you park the noncovered section I think they mentioned was cheapest), comes fully furnished, has appliances, there is a pool and gym area, they have recycling, shuttle comes directly there, you have to pay for cable and electricity but doesn't seem that bad, and 24 maintenance, I am moving from Boston so for me this seems like the best option. I don't want to rent a Uhaul and bring stuff and this place is cheaper and MUCH more spacious then my small unfurnished place in Boston.

I am thinking about starting to fill out an application for Campus Crossings this weekend and I am looking for either a 2 or 3 person apt there so if anyone is thinking about this as well please message me. I know there will probably be a facebook group and a place on the website once the acceptance date passes, but I am trying to get a head start on things if anyone else is interested.

I definitely sent out a bunch of PMs. I'm also looking for a roommate possibly at Campus Crossings or somewhere else relatively close...I'm even down with carpooling.

A little about me:
My name is Jessica. My family is Chinese, but I act pretty white. I'm born, raised, and educated in Arizona and am looking to get out of here (at least for a little bit haha). I'd say I'm pretty chill and clean most of the time--my room turns into a cluttered mess when exam time comes around though. I do like my sleep during the week, so I'd prefer relatively quiet people. Feel free to be a party animal on the weekends ;).

I'm coming straight from undergrad at University of Arizona; majors are biochemistry, molecular and cellular bio, and anthropology. I will be an EH-EPI MSPH student. I'm not sure yet of when I would want to move in.

No car. Nail polish addict. I like to cook and do meals together, but that is not a must.

PM me if you have any other questions.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on CC! I have decided to submit an application there - convenience is my number one concern because I've never been to Atlanta before and won't have time to look around/buy furniture and stuff when I get there in August, I think.

I submitted my application for a 3-person unit, so if any other females are looking for a roommate at CC, let me know! (I think we can request roommates, right?)

A little about me - grew up in Nebraska, moved to the Philippines when I was 13 and lived/studied/worked there for 9 years. I'm currently finishing up my 3rd year serving as a PCV in Namibia, working on family planning stuff primarily. I'll be a Global Health student. I am also a big fan of nail polish, and I love to cook and bake and would be open to cooking meals together sometimes. :thumbup:

Hi, just curious as to how much rent was at CC? Also....I little about me...I'm a 3rd year medical student from Ohio and did a fast track 2 years of undergrad and taking a year off to do my MPH degree...I'm looking for some roommates too so message me if youre interested :)

Hello! A big congratulations to everyone who has made it to Emory this Fall. I received my admit (BSHE) during the first week of March and made it in time for the Visit Emory day :) I was hoping to know if there are any international students out here. I'm from India!