copperfrog09

10+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Thought I'd get this thread started.. Any possible future classmates around??

Archdelux

10+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2006
Status
Academic Administration
Hey there! This is kind of sad..no posts! Anyway, I just got my acceptance packet in the mail today!!

I think I remember something about a second look weekend, but don't remember much else about it..anyone know when it is?

copperfrog09

10+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Congrats!:) I thought I remembered hearing something about second look too.. but the acceptance packet only listed a housing weekend? Just curious, when did you interview?

About the Ads

tessa108

10+ Year Member
May 20, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Thought I'd get this thread started.. Any possible future classmates around??
Maybe me! :)

I have no idea where I'll end up yet, but I loved Emory and was really excited to get the acceptance letter last week.

Congrats to both of you!

Archdelux

10+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2006
Status
Academic Administration
congrats to you too, tessa!

Last edited:

ulia09

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I'm 98% sure I will be at Emory!!
Yay!
I've been telling everyone 90% sure, but what the heck, I'll go ahead and bump it up to 98% too! I <3 Emory!!

copperfrog09

10+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Two things for everyone:

1. Does anyone know if there's not a second look this year? I received the "we have received your signed letter of intent, here's the game plan" e-mail, but it didn't say anything about a second look.. only housing weekend?

2. I found a facebook group this morning that someone had started, so you should all join! If you search "Emory school of medicine class of 2013" it should pop up :)

Archdelux

10+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2006
Status
Academic Administration
anyone gotten any scholarship offers yet? Anyone know when they send them out?

tessa108

10+ Year Member
May 20, 2008
Status
Medical Student
anyone gotten any scholarship offers yet? Anyone know when they send them out?
I know they have a second interview weekend for finalists for the merit-based Woodruff fellowships, but I don't think the notifications come out until the Spring. I'm not sure about any other scholarships they may have.

Leejwwc

10+ Year Member
May 9, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Hey everyone, I'm in too! Also wondering about a second look...b/c right now I'm kinda stuck (in a good way) between Emory and Vandy. I definitely want to check out Emory again.

ReadytoDoc

10+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm another Emory prospective student ( I got in!!!!). I am waiting to hear from other top schools on my list (and their financial aid offices). But I must say Emory impressed me and if I end up there I will have no regrets at all! Hopefully I'll see you all soon

About the Ads

copperfrog09

10+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Bumping this back up again..
Any new Emory news? Anyone have any info on housing, etc.?

MD13

10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2008
Status
Hi guys - I am now working on the financial aid stuff for schools and so I looked back at the email Emory sent out earlier about this and it mentions that we have to fill out BOTH, the fafsa as well this PROFILE thing..I went to the website and it charges $25 just to fill it out for one school! What the hell? Is this really required?

Leejwwc

10+ Year Member
May 9, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Hi guys - I am now working on the financial aid stuff for schools and so I looked back at the email Emory sent out earlier about this and it mentions that we have to fill out BOTH, the fafsa as well this PROFILE thing..I went to the website and it charges $25 just to fill it out for one school! What the hell? Is this really required?
Yeah, unfortunately we need to fill both out. I had to do the same thing in college, each year. It makes absolutely no sense that we have to pay to get considered for financial aid!

carlyMD

10+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I just got accepted to Emory yesterday! :oops:
Have they sent out any info about second look? The package they sent just said something would happen late April...

runamok

10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2008
NY
Status
Medical Student
Really hoping yesterday's mailout will bring me some good news!

Lovey

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Yay, I've been accepted!
Nobody's posted here in a while. Are other people not excited enough to post?

P31woman

Trusting God
10+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2008
Status
Medical Student
lol no worries...I'm definitely excited, I LOVE Emory. :)

nerakium

10+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Congrats on making a decision, copperfrog09!!! I am still trying to decide between Emory and another school... though I generally seem to be leaning toward Emory. Fond memories from the interview day, I guess. :)

Let's talk about why we like Emory so much. I'll start off... The building is GORGEOUS, and CDC shares the campus. Anyone else?

Also, anyone planning to attend Revisit Day?

Lovey

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I actually haven't gotten an invite for the second look weekend... (I've been accepted though). Did everybody else already receive a formal invite? When is it? Thanks!

About the Ads

copperfrog09

10+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I actually haven't gotten an invite for the second look weekend... (I've been accepted though). Did everybody else already receive a formal invite? When is it? Thanks!
Haven't heard anything about it either? Seems a little late notice for end of April..

P31woman

Trusting God
10+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Haven't heard anything about it either? Seems a little late notice for end of April..
I think they're only having a second look for underrepresented minorities in medicine, which already happened, due to changes in the economy. Housing weekend is still on though...I think.

Oh yeah...Erica is pregnant! I interviewed in October so there was no evidence :)

Moonspun

10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I think they're only having a second look for underrepresented minorities in medicine, which already happened, due to changes in the economy. Housing weekend is still on though...I think.
When I interviewed in January I heard definitely no second look weekend. Housing weekend seems to be June 5-6 I think, according to the acceptance packet.

In other news, has anyone heard anything about Woodruff scholarships? I would think that either invites would go out this weekend or the interviews would have been held according to previous class threads. Is this driving anyone else crazy?

MD13

10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2008
Status
Do any of you have your financial aid information on the OPUS website already? I submitted my stuff a while ago and I still have nothing..

copperfrog09

10+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Do any of you have your financial aid information on the OPUS website already? I submitted my stuff a while ago and I still have nothing..
Mine showed up last night.. go to Campus Finances--> Financial Aid--> Then click on "2010" on the left side.

Big fat pile o' loans for me. I got some unexpected money from another school so I'm going to have to re-consider whether Emory is worth it :(

MD13

10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2008
Status
Yeah..mine doesn't have a link for 2010..it just says 'inquiry access denied' next to where the link should be.. unfortunately, it seems that the financial aid lady ignored my email from last week..i guess I'll send another one..

Thanks.

jdover52

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Mine also showed up last night. Did you submit all of your stuff by March 1st?

MD13

10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2008
Status
yeah, she got back to me..she said I should have it within 2 weeks..I submitted my parents tax returns after March 1st so I guess that's why mine is delayed..

jdover52

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Btw, anyone else tried accessing LearnLink yet? I have my Emory ID and can log into everything else (OPUS, blackboard, etc...) but LearnLink keeps saying my userid or pw is wrong :confused:

tessa108

10+ Year Member
May 20, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Btw, anyone else tried accessing LearnLink yet? I have my Emory ID and can log into everything else (OPUS, blackboard, etc...) but LearnLink keeps saying my userid or pw is wrong :confused:
Did you follow the instructions to synchronize your password? From the document they sent out:

.1. Go to https://password.service.emory.edu/ .
.2. Type in your NetID (this is your Emory network ID) and current password. .
.DO NOT TYPE IN A NEW PASSWORD..
.3. Click on the "Change/Maintain Password" button. .
.4. Wait about 10 minutes for all systems to re-set, then try your LearnLink login again. .

I still had problems after that (my password worked for the online login, but not the downloaded version), so you may be having the same issue I did. Check the server on the FirstClass Login box. It should say "Server: fc.learnlink.emory.edu" If it doesn't, you have to click on "advanced" and type it into the address box.

There's also more help info here (including more detailed instructions for the server issue): http://www.learnlink.emory.edu/guides/

About the Ads

jdover52

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Did you follow the instructions to synchronize your password? From the document they sent out:

.1. Go to https://password.service.emory.edu/ .
.2. Type in your NetID (this is your Emory network ID) and current password. .
.DO NOT TYPE IN A NEW PASSWORD..
.3. Click on the "Change/Maintain Password" button. .
.4. Wait about 10 minutes for all systems to re-set, then try your LearnLink login again. .

I still had problems after that (my password worked for the online login, but not the downloaded version), so you may be having the same issue I did. Check the server on the FirstClass Login box. It should say "Server: fc.learnlink.emory.edu" If it doesn't, you have to click on "advanced" and type it into the address box.

There's also more help info here (including more detailed instructions for the server issue): http://www.learnlink.emory.edu/guides/
Yeah, I've tried to sync my password 5 times now, still no luck. The server says fc.learnlink.emory.edu. Thanks for the tips, I'll check out the link, if it still doesn't work, I might call them tomorrow. I just wanted to make sure other people could access it and it wasn't just that they haven't activated our accounts yet

MD13

10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2008
Status
You're not the only one--I am having the same problem...emailed the tech support people, waiting on a response.

P31woman

Trusting God
10+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2008
Status
Medical Student
They said they were running behind with financial aid, because they had to make sure the undergrad stuff worked out first so the March 1st deadline was unofficially extended. If you had your stuff in by mid to late March you should have something by April 15th.

Leejwwc

10+ Year Member
May 9, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Hmmm...I submitted my financial aid stuff in early February and still nothing on OPUS :(

Sunny09

10+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I got accepted from the wait list today!! I will definitely be joining you guys in July! So excited!!

neil100

anti-dummies
10+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2008
Status
You can add me to the list. I have been accepted for some time.

neil100

anti-dummies
10+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2008
Status
Is this thread even alive?

Anyone in here? wohooo!

Is everyone excited to go to Emory?

I am very excited

Yes Sir

10+ Year Member
May 3, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm pumped about Emory. After my interview day I knew it was where I wanted to go. I truly believe it will be an unbelievable place to learn medicine. Hotlanta should be a blast too.

neil100

anti-dummies
10+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2008
Status
I think it is for students. It is basically for all of the university students.

DivaDoc12

Ready for school to start
10+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I am very interested in Emory for OB/GYN residency. I know you guys have not started medical school yet or are just starting but. Have you heard anything about the experiences the upperclassmen have on the OB/GYN rotation at your school? Have you all heard anything about the OB/GYn faculty? Is there a thread for Emory class of 2010?

About the Ads