1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Emory School of Medicine Class of 2013!

Discussion in 'Allopathic Class Threads' started by copperfrog09, Dec 1, 2008.

1. copperfrog09

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thought I'd get this thread started.. Any possible future classmates around??

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Archdelux

Archdelux Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Hey there! This is kind of sad..no posts! Anyway, I just got my acceptance packet in the mail today!!

I think I remember something about a second look weekend, but don't remember much else about it..anyone know when it is?

3. OP
    OP
    copperfrog09

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Congrats!:) I thought I remembered hearing something about second look too.. but the acceptance packet only listed a housing weekend? Just curious, when did you interview?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. tessa108

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Maybe me! :)

I have no idea where I'll end up yet, but I loved Emory and was really excited to get the acceptance letter last week.

Congrats to both of you!

5. P31woman

P31woman Trusting God
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm 98% sure I will be at Emory!!
    Yay!

6. Archdelux

Archdelux Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    congrats to you too, tessa!

#6 Archdelux, Dec 2, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  7. ulia09

ulia09 Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I've been telling everyone 90% sure, but what the heck, I'll go ahead and bump it up to 98% too! I <3 Emory!!

8. nerakium

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm here! I love love loved Emory so much. :love:

9. OP
    OP
    copperfrog09

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Two things for everyone:

1. Does anyone know if there's not a second look this year? I received the "we have received your signed letter of intent, here's the game plan" e-mail, but it didn't say anything about a second look.. only housing weekend?

2. I found a facebook group this morning that someone had started, so you should all join! If you search "Emory school of medicine class of 2013" it should pop up :)

10. Archdelux

Archdelux Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    anyone gotten any scholarship offers yet? Anyone know when they send them out?

11. tessa108

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I know they have a second interview weekend for finalists for the merit-based Woodruff fellowships, but I don't think the notifications come out until the Spring. I'm not sure about any other scholarships they may have.

12. Leejwwc

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey everyone, I'm in too! Also wondering about a second look...b/c right now I'm kinda stuck (in a good way) between Emory and Vandy. I definitely want to check out Emory again.

13. ReadytoDoc

Pre-Medical
    I'm another Emory prospective student ( I got in!!!!). I am waiting to hear from other top schools on my list (and their financial aid offices). But I must say Emory impressed me and if I end up there I will have no regrets at all! Hopefully I'll see you all soon

14. OP
    OP
    copperfrog09

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Bumping this back up again..
    Any new Emory news? Anyone have any info on housing, etc.?

15. MD13

2+ Year Member

Hi guys - I am now working on the financial aid stuff for schools and so I looked back at the email Emory sent out earlier about this and it mentions that we have to fill out BOTH, the fafsa as well this PROFILE thing..I went to the website and it charges $25 just to fill it out for one school! What the hell? Is this really required?

16. Leejwwc

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yeah, unfortunately we need to fill both out. I had to do the same thing in college, each year. It makes absolutely no sense that we have to pay to get considered for financial aid!

17. carlyMD

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I just got accepted to Emory yesterday! :oops:
    Have they sent out any info about second look? The package they sent just said something would happen late April...

18. runamok

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Really hoping yesterday's mailout will bring me some good news!

19. Lovey

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yay, I've been accepted!
    Nobody's posted here in a while. Are other people not excited enough to post?

20. P31woman

P31woman Trusting God
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    lol no worries...I'm definitely excited, I LOVE Emory. :)

21. OP
    OP
    copperfrog09

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm excited! I just decided I'm headed to Emory for sure :) any word on fin aid? P31 have you decided on Emory?

22. nerakium

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Congrats on making a decision, copperfrog09!!! I am still trying to decide between Emory and another school... though I generally seem to be leaning toward Emory. Fond memories from the interview day, I guess. :)

Let's talk about why we like Emory so much. I'll start off... The building is GORGEOUS, and CDC shares the campus. Anyone else?

Also, anyone planning to attend Revisit Day?

23. Lovey

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I actually haven't gotten an invite for the second look weekend... (I've been accepted though). Did everybody else already receive a formal invite? When is it? Thanks!

24. OP
    OP
    copperfrog09

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Haven't heard anything about it either? Seems a little late notice for end of April..

25. P31woman

P31woman Trusting God
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think they're only having a second look for underrepresented minorities in medicine, which already happened, due to changes in the economy. Housing weekend is still on though...I think.

Oh yeah...Erica is pregnant! I interviewed in October so there was no evidence :)

26. Moonspun

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    When I interviewed in January I heard definitely no second look weekend. Housing weekend seems to be June 5-6 I think, according to the acceptance packet.

In other news, has anyone heard anything about Woodruff scholarships? I would think that either invites would go out this weekend or the interviews would have been held according to previous class threads. Is this driving anyone else crazy?

27. MD13

2+ Year Member

Do any of you have your financial aid information on the OPUS website already? I submitted my stuff a while ago and I still have nothing..

28. OP
    OP
    copperfrog09

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Mine showed up last night.. go to Campus Finances--> Financial Aid--> Then click on "2010" on the left side.

Big fat pile o' loans for me. I got some unexpected money from another school so I'm going to have to re-consider whether Emory is worth it :(

29. MD13

2+ Year Member

Yeah..mine doesn't have a link for 2010..it just says 'inquiry access denied' next to where the link should be.. unfortunately, it seems that the financial aid lady ignored my email from last week..i guess I'll send another one..

Thanks.

30. jdover52

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Mine also showed up last night. Did you submit all of your stuff by March 1st?

31. MD13

2+ Year Member

yeah, she got back to me..she said I should have it within 2 weeks..I submitted my parents tax returns after March 1st so I guess that's why mine is delayed..

32. jdover52

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Btw, anyone else tried accessing LearnLink yet? I have my Emory ID and can log into everything else (OPUS, blackboard, etc...) but LearnLink keeps saying my userid or pw is wrong :confused:

33. tessa108

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Did you follow the instructions to synchronize your password? From the document they sent out:

.1. Go to https://password.service.emory.edu/ .
    .2. Type in your NetID (this is your Emory network ID) and current password. .
    .DO NOT TYPE IN A NEW PASSWORD..
    .3. Click on the "Change/Maintain Password" button. .
    .4. Wait about 10 minutes for all systems to re-set, then try your LearnLink login again. .

I still had problems after that (my password worked for the online login, but not the downloaded version), so you may be having the same issue I did. Check the server on the FirstClass Login box. It should say "Server: fc.learnlink.emory.edu" If it doesn't, you have to click on "advanced" and type it into the address box.

There's also more help info here (including more detailed instructions for the server issue): http://www.learnlink.emory.edu/guides/

34. jdover52

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yeah, I've tried to sync my password 5 times now, still no luck. The server says fc.learnlink.emory.edu. Thanks for the tips, I'll check out the link, if it still doesn't work, I might call them tomorrow. I just wanted to make sure other people could access it and it wasn't just that they haven't activated our accounts yet

35. MD13

2+ Year Member

You're not the only one--I am having the same problem...emailed the tech support people, waiting on a response.

36. P31woman

P31woman Trusting God
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    They said they were running behind with financial aid, because they had to make sure the undergrad stuff worked out first so the March 1st deadline was unofficially extended. If you had your stuff in by mid to late March you should have something by April 15th.

37. Leejwwc

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hmmm...I submitted my financial aid stuff in early February and still nothing on OPUS :(

38. runamok

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Anyone know if there's been any movement with the waitlist?

39. Sunny09

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I got accepted from the wait list today!! I will definitely be joining you guys in July! So excited!!

40. neil100

neil100 anti-dummies
    2+ Year Member

You can add me to the list. I have been accepted for some time.

41. neil100

neil100 anti-dummies
    2+ Year Member

Is this thread even alive?

Anyone in here? wohooo!

Is everyone excited to go to Emory?

I am very excited

42. Yes Sir

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm pumped about Emory. After my interview day I knew it was where I wanted to go. I truly believe it will be an unbelievable place to learn medicine. Hotlanta should be a blast too.

43. runamok

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Are the User IDs for OPUS only sent to accepted students?

44. neil100

neil100 anti-dummies
    2+ Year Member

I think it is for students. It is basically for all of the university students.

45. DivaDoc12

DivaDoc12 Ready for school to start
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am very interested in Emory for OB/GYN residency. I know you guys have not started medical school yet or are just starting but. Have you heard anything about the experiences the upperclassmen have on the OB/GYN rotation at your school? Have you all heard anything about the OB/GYn faculty? Is there a thread for Emory class of 2010?