Emory - to apply or not to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GuzzyRon

Son of the Son of Man
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an Associates in Premed, a CNA license and currently a senior at UGA (go Dawgs!). I work full time at Emory University Hospital as a Patient Care Assistant and I provide nursing support, transcribe physician orders, reinforce physician instructions to patients and family, do catheter care, take and monitor patients’ vitals signs, collect specimen, do general patient care…blah, blah.

I will take the MCAT in April and Emory tops the list of the 15 med schools I plan on applying to. But people have expressed mixed reactions to my plan of applying to Emory which has left me confused. Some say since I work for Emory, there will be a closer scrutiny of my application which will reduce my chances of acceptance (esp. since I don’t have a competitive GPA – 3.62 sciences, 3.42 overall). But some say working for them will probably tilt the possibility of acceptance in my favor and yet some say it won’t even matter.

So what do you guys think as far as applying to Emory – good move, bad move or it doesn’t even matter?

Members don't see this ad.

i dunno man, you TO (mikes gay) went uga...sounds like a disadvantage anywhere you apply to out of the gates :p

forget what people say. most people don't know what the hell they're talking about when it comes to med school admissions. and the rest of the people just don't know. if you WANT to go to Emory, definitely apply. it WILL help that you have worked there. if your MCAT is solid >33, you will have a good shot at acceptance with those stats.
-mota

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like your clinical experience is great; your GPA a little low. Therefore, your MCAT score will play a big part in this equation. However, one thing is for sure: There's no way that you will get in if you don't apply. So, if you do fairly well on the MCAT, then definitely apply. What have you got to lose?

Lorrayne said:
It sounds like your clinical experience is great; your GPA a little low. Therefore, your MCAT score will play a big part in this equation. However, one thing is for sure: There's no way that you will get in if you don't apply. So, if you do fairly well on the MCAT, then definitely apply. What have you got to lose?

Agreed. If Emory is in at the top of your list, why would you not apply? Emory accepts more people from the south than from other regions so you have an advantage being local. They are also traditionally very good to people who work for them (scholarships to employees and their families). I can't imagine that working for them would be in any way detrimental and would likely be beneficial. Don't let negative people try to stop you from achieving what you want, go for it b/c if you don't try you'll never know if you could have made it.

Wuzzah? There's another UGA student here on SDN??? :thumbup:

Apply, you have a strong chance with a solid MCAT.

Thanks guys for all the encouragement!

To hell with Georgia!

(sorry I had to)

Teerawit said:
Wuzzah? There's another UGA student here on SDN??? :thumbup:

Apply, you have a strong chance with a solid MCAT.

There are quite a few Dawgs here on SDN....check out the MCG or Mercer threads.

fellow uga grad here as well.

i got rejected from emory this year without even an interview, but kinda expected that.

you have a good chance if you do well on the mcat. EMORY LIKE HIGH MCAT SCORES!! this will make up for a mediocre gpa. and when i say high mcat score, i mean 33+. they favor georgia residents somewhat, (although they seem to have an infatuation ivy undergrads) so you have a good chance if you do well on your mcat.

also, apply early!

You should apply to EVERY school that within a few hours of where you live.
It might end up being the only school you get into. And you don't have to explain to them why you want to go there. (ugh I work here)