• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

About the Ads

HumbleMD

hmmmm...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2006
East Coast
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
The Yeshiva one? Oy, I love how New Yorkers forget that there is a world outside of Manhattan Island. I'd go with Emory. Emory just revolutionized thier curriculum, and finished construction on brand new facilities - it's good already, and probbaly on the up and up. And, doing rotations at Grady would be incredible. Plus, mixing religion with medicine at AECOM seems like a dangerous combo during education aspects. Save it for residency.

astrife

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
in all fairness Emory is methodist...

and despite what most people think... methodism is a religion

njshibby

15+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2005
Status (Visible)
in all fairness Emory is methodist...

and despite what most people think... methodism is a religion

you'd have to really search to find any meaningful influence of that though...it's more jewish than yeshiva here

D

deleted89854

Methinks you have no idea what you're talking about. I've been there for five years, and I have yet to be affected by this "dangerous" combination (and I'm Catholic).

And the Bronx is not on Manhattan Island, genius.

Something to consider is that Einstein has around five county hospitals to rotate through. County = more experience for you during clinical years. However, I don't know anything about Emory; I'm sure it's a good place.

Wanna_B_Scutty

MS1
10+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I'd pick Emory for the research opps, the reputation and the weather.

The unranked P/F grading system at AECOM sure is nice, though. Way more humane than Emory's letter grades...

Big XII Fanatic

10+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2007
Status (Visible)
Emory.

(1) Brand spanking new facilities opening next year.
(2) Great clinical opportunities at Grady.
(3) Hotlanta. Holla.
(4) Emory will pay for you to get an MPH.
(5) Great resources nearby, such as the CDC and ACS.

In the end, though, none of this matters. Go visit both schools; see which one fits you the best.

HumbleMD

hmmmm...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2006
East Coast
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Methinks you have no idea what you're talking about. I've been there for five years, and I have yet to be affected by this "dangerous" combination (and I'm Catholic).

And the Bronx is not on Manhattan Island, genius.

Something to consider is that Einstein has around five county hospitals to rotate through. County = more experience for you during clinical years. However, I don't know anything about Emory; I'm sure it's a good place.
Yes, but Bronxonians are always aspiring to be on it (I love when my Bronx friends say they are from New York, and my Manhattan friends retort "you're not from the city.") Anyway, as far as clinical experience goes, you can't beat Grady for clinical years. It's one of the biggest county hospitals in the country, perhaps world. And with the new curriculum at Emory, you'll be getting into the clinical years quicker (and I'm pretty sure they've changed to H/P/F). Now who doesn't know what they're talking about?

Doc Martins

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2004
Nueva York
Status (Visible)
Yes, but Bronxonians are always aspiring to be on it (I love when my Bronx friends say they are from New York, and my Manhattan friends retort "you're not from the city.")

FYI: The 5 boroughs constitute New York CITY. Most people from NYC are not born and raised in Manhattan.. but in the surrounding areas.

D

deleted89854

The Yeshiva one? Oy, I love how New Yorkers forget that there is a world outside of Manhattan Island. I'd go with Emory. Emory just revolutionized thier curriculum, and finished construction on brand new facilities - it's good already, and probbaly on the up and up. And, doing rotations at Grady would be incredible. Plus, mixing religion with medicine at AECOM seems like a dangerous combo during education aspects. Save it for residency.

First of all, I'm not a New Yorker, so I could care less about this place. I tell people I live in the Bronx, and I doubt it really matters to anyone.

Saying religion and medicine are mixed at AECOM makes you look ignorant (and not at all humble). I'm graduating from there this year, so I do in fact know what I'm talking about. The only way I've even noticed that this place has a Jewish affiliation is that the gym is closed on Saturday and the cafeteria serves kosher food (a dangerous combo).

Darkshooter326

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 30, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
at Emory, you'll be getting into the clinical years quicker (and I'm pretty sure they've changed to H/P/F).

Are you sure about the grading change? I didn't hear anything about that. I think I remember Erica Black say something to the effect of. 'People here seem to like the grading system, so we probably won't change that'. I don't really remember though.

My pick? Emory :thumbup:

twohearted

The whistle go . . .
10+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Yes, but Bronxonians are always aspiring to be on it (I love when my Bronx friends say they are from New York, and my Manhattan friends retort "you're not from the city.") Anyway, as far as clinical experience goes, you can't beat Grady for clinical years. It's one of the biggest county hospitals in the country, perhaps world. And with the new curriculum at Emory, you'll be getting into the clinical years quicker (and I'm pretty sure they've changed to H/P/F). Now who doesn't know what they're talking about?

So true . . . the lamest bourough is Staten Island though. I can't believe that some of the trash that comes from there technically counts as New Yorkers. "Yo dood! Is my shirt shiny enough? Dood!" That annoying acent.

bretticus

IR/NeuroIR attending
10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2006
Alabama
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I believe Emory grades are still ABCF (not sure about D's). They said the grades are not on a curve, but rather fixed. So technically everyone can get an A. I don't think this would be that bad, since the competition factor wouldn't be there -- no incentive to do gunner stuff.

Personally, I'd go with Emory unless you have to be in NYC.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.