Emory vs Boston University Schools of Public Health

buzzwick

10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2006
  1. Other Health Professions Student
    My daughter was accepted to Emory and BU SPH and is having a difficult time deciding between the two. She will concentrate in Behavior, Social Sciences & Health Education.
    Would greatly appreciate any comments on either or both schools, especially regarding the following:

Quality of the program & professors
    General perception of prospective employers of graduates of the program
    Accessibility and helpfulness of professors
    Housing
    Financial Aid
    Unexpected expenses
    Friendliness/Helpfulness of Peers
    Social Interactions of Students

I know this is a lot to ask, but any comments will be greatly appreciated!

fromflordia

10+ Year Member
    Mar 11, 2006
    1. Pre-Medical
      I got into a bunch of schools for MPH, GW, BU, USF, Etc. and am going to BU. My visit there was amazing. The faculty i spoke with were very nice and amazingly down to earth. I came away from BU with no doubt that it was the place for me. Hope this helps and hope to see your daughter at BU in the fall,

ubercoo

10+ Year Member
      Mar 28, 2006
        Hi! Congrats for your daughter!! Those are both fine schools.

You should read the threads throughout on Emory; there are a good number from people with direct info which I do not have. (Reviews seems pretty mixed to me?)

With respect to BU I can say people are very, very nice there. The dean and admissions people have been nothing but friendly to me when I was inquiring and skulking around. Generally everyone you encounter seems happy there. (Its very odd :) I had a very good feeling from BU public health students (more than from the BU medical students in terms of which group feels it is being provided with a good education etc.)
        I can say I would shy away from BU for the more solid science/epi based programs as BU's specialty is policy, behavioral and it seems increasingly global health. They have a sold link with Harvard SPH and conduct many of their recruiting programs together. I have been told that the path of BU MPH followed by Harvard PhD is not UNHEARD of if you're really good. BU is flexible about changing your specialization if needed. BU SPH is nestled between two hospitals. The proximity to the health care community is important to me. Emory of course is down the street from the CDC (not sure about other health stuff.)
        Its more city than Emory. (Emory is farther outside of downtown Atlanta than people realize). That being said, the BU medical campus isn't in the very, very Best area. Classes are set up (morning and evenings) so you are always leaving with a bunch people though. There is a BU shuttle that picks students up after class and goes (I believe) to the nearest T-station, as well as the main campus. Right on the med campus is ~ok, and I can vouch for Boston overall as a wonderfully safe and just a GREAT city (my favorite :love: ). I would live a little away from the med campus though...its kinda deceptively nice. (I lived down there for a time and wasn't thrilled about doing it again...I would suggest living elsewhere in Boston and taking the bus in, perhaps the silver line or if blessed with a vehicle parking it in a school or paid lot..the street not so much if you are attached to your radio. Honestly, as a woman, I walked all over but always looked like I knew where I was going and belonged there and generally had few problems. Late at night I wouldn't really suggest this, though I had to. I prefer that Harrison/Mass Ave stetch to the area around Columbia med if you are familir with it?)
        BU is bit more pricey than Emory. They generally come right out and say there are limited scholarships though, unlike Emory which leads you to believe there is a good chance..which never seems to materalize! BU is kind for a part-time job gig..I am unsure about Emory for this.
        What else to say? Perhaps I am a little BU-biased; or at least I know more about it. I have had a pre-professional admissions advisor tell me that both BU and Emory are fine institutions. Others may have more to say on ranking issues? Certainly Emory has a higher rank than BU, 9th vs 13th I believe.
        Well as I have been rambling for some time (sorry), I guess its the trite 'go where you feel better' and 'you can't really go wrong with either.' (I further tell myself you won't know if you did!) Perhaps some of my random information
        will be of some use? (I would seriously scour some of the Emory threads though...)

best of luck!

buzzwick said:
        My daughter was accepted to Emory and BU SPH and is having a difficult time deciding between the two. She will concentrate in Behavior, Social Sciences & Health Education.
        Would greatly appreciate any comments on either or both schools, especially regarding the following:

Housing
        Financial Aid
        Unexpected expenses

About the Ads

buzzwick

10+ Year Member
        Apr 18, 2006
          Thank you, thank you, thank you! My daughter will really appreciate your "rambling", it was so helpful. Her heart is in Boston, she absolutely loves the city, but was unsure about the quality of the school, extra costs for living and just navigating the city. We live in San Francisco, and she has never lived on her own. Emory is a "safer" transition in the since that they have graduate housing and that includes a meal plan, utilities, etc.

BU's housing office has been sending her apt listings--so I think it will all come down to cost.
          :)

nids

Jul 7, 2011
            Hi
            I am a dentist form India applied for MPH in Epidemiology
            I have got admits form BU ( with scholarship)and Emory University For epidemiology. I am really confused between the two, regarding the
            Course structure, TA, GA, post MPH job opportunities in Epidemiology

Please help me
            i need to make a decision soon

Thank you

Awapi

UGA VetMed c/o 2021
            7+ Year Member
            Sep 13, 2010
            1. Veterinary Student

Housing
              Financial Aid
              Unexpected expenses

I'm a first year student at Emory and it's the best decision I have ever made, hands down. I think that choosing a school should be very individualized though and a lot should be weighed on what your daughter wants to do in the future. Emory is right next door (literally) to the CDC headquarters, The Carter Center is part of Emory, and we have amazing working relationships with organizations like CARE as well as very well-known and well-funded faculty projects at the school. If your daughter specifically would like to work for one of those organizations then I would say that Emory would be a better choice, but if she wanted to work/live in Boston or work with an organization that she can get practical experience with while attending BU, then BU might be a better choice.

I have a merit scholarship, they are limited in number, but they do happen :)...however, the cost of living is lower in Atlanta so that is something to consider in the total package (this is anecdotal, but I have also heard overall tuition is lower or about the same at Emory, but cost of housing, transportation, etc is lower...Emory is also in a really nice and safe area - I don't know anything about where BU is, but a previous poster listed it as something of a small concern...just a small piece in a large puzzle!). A large number of students coming to Emory receive a practical experience award (PE), it pays students for work study and is an amazing program for gaining experience and contacts while also offsetting cost a little.

Professors at Emory are very approachable and excited to work with students. The school has a quality program that's looked upon very highly by potential employers (not that ranking matters all that much, but Emory is ranked 6th, not 9th, but BU is also 11th not 13th...though I think last year when I applied Emory was 6 and BU was 13 so that may be where that came from but 11 is not a bad rank at all and shouldn't be a deterrent:

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...ols/top-health-schools/public-health-rankings).

As for social interaction of students, we have something going on that is sponsored by SGA or one of the student organizations almost every weekend and sometimes during the week. I have an amazing friend group here and couldn't imagine going through the program without them (and we've only all been together one full semester!). There's a plethora of student organizations and tons of ways to get involved.

The long and short of it is that I think both schools are really great so it's really going to come down to your daughter's individualized needs. I don't know very much about BU and I love Emory so I'm biased :).

I would encourage her to contact both schools and ask for the contact information of current students in the BSHE programs (We have a program called Student Ambassadors and I'm sure Boston has something similar who would be willing to talk to your daughter). I would then have her ask them specific questions about her interests/concerns about school and see what she hears back...when I was applying I did the same thing, I even had a girl offer to call me (and did) from Emory, we talked for about an hour and a half, she was very candid about her experience and it was one of the things that helped sway me toward Emory in the end. If it's feasible I would highly recommend attending the visit days at both schools, I know Emory's are March 22 and 23. I'm in the Global Epidemiology track or I would be happy to email her, I'd still answer any questions I can, but I think requesting contact info for BSHE students would be more helpful.

Good luck to her!

MPHApplicant902

Dec 2, 2011
                I'm currently deciding between BU (Social and Behavioral Science track) and NYU ( Community and International Health).

My experience with BU has been nothing short of spectacular. The admissions staff is very friendly and quick to accommodate my requests. ( I asked to sit in on a class and he was able to schedule it for the next day). The class I did sit in on was great. The students had thoughtful and insightful comments, the professor was very down-to-earth and well educated (Harvard degree in PH). I could definitely imagine my self there for the long haul. The student who took me to class was in her first year, 2nd semester. She was a "student ambassador" and took prospective/deciding students like me around campus. She answered all my questions and gave me her email address in case I had more. She got back to me very quickly. It was also impressive that she had a fellowship lined up in her second semester. She was going to be working in a pediatric trauma care unit.

I also attended a BU information session before I applied. Students and admission staff were available to answer questions and talk about the school, We were also given a mock lecture from one of the professors which was also amazing. Overall BU has a very strong reputation and connection to internships. All the students I encountered seemed very happy there.

I know BU does offer some apartments very close to campus and there is a cafeteria/lounge area in the school. If you go to the medical campus website, you will find a few maps that give you a nice layout of the school as well as near by shopping and food areas. http://www.bumc.bu.edu/Places/CampusMap/

Good luck with your decision!

About the Ads
                This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                7. This thread is locked.