Emory Vs Boston University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spunky41882

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any opinions. These are the only schools that I am in at and I feel bad holding spots that other people want. Right now I am leaning towards BU but only becuase I have a husky and he would fair better in the colder weather. Also I am very interested in infectious disease research, while Emory obviously has ties with the cdc, last I heard boston university is building a level 4 bioterrism research lab. I'd love to hear opinions on the matter. Thanks! and good luck to everyone out there

Members don't see this ad.

I think that your husky would be miserable in the summer in both areas. Emory has a big name and will provide you with more oportunities to do research. Having access to Grady as a teaching hospital is also extremely valueble. It seems to me that if you want a hardcore competitive residency emory is the easy choice. If you are worried about being in the South, don't, because everyone at emory is a yankee.

Emory. Emory is a top 20 school (or thereabouts). It's probably one of the best schools in country for certain fields within immunlogy/infectious diseases, and the CDC is nearby, of course. I have lived deep in New England, and it is definitely hotter and more humid over the summer than New York City to the south. So, the Atlanta summer won't be any worse than the Boston summer. The only difference is the winter.

Members don't see this ad :)
mercaptovizadeh said:
Emory. Emory is a top 20 school (or thereabouts). It's probably one of the best schools in country for certain fields within immunlogy/infectious diseases, and the CDC is nearby, of course. I have lived deep in New England, and it is definitely hotter and more humid over the summer than New York City to the south. So, the Atlanta summer won't be any worse than the Boston summer. The only difference is the winter.

To add to the weather argument, Atlanta does get cold in the winter. It just is a milder cold--it doesn't get nearly as windy on a regular basis and snow/ice is maybe a once-a-season event.

Well, they don't call it "Hotlanta" for nothing. Atlanta during the summer is rather warm, mainly because it doesn't benefit from any kind of seabreeze or wind patterns coming off the ocean. I am a native of Florida and went to grad school in Boston. Northern summers don't even compare to summers down south. The humidity is a lot less, and although there were some hot days in Boston, the temp rarely rose above 85 degrees. With that said, however, I think you would be better off at Emory. It has a great reputation nationwide, and Grady Memorial Hospital is an awesome place to train. Don't worry too much about your dog - (s)he will get used to things :)

mercaptovizadeh said:
So, the Atlanta summer won't be any worse than the Boston summer. The only difference is the winter.

This is just simply not true. Atlanta rains almost constantly in the Fall months compared to the Northeast. And the summer in Atlanta is WAY different--far more oppressive---it's the humidity that's the killer. I moved from the north to the south for 3 years and was as in much shock at the humidity and heat during the summer as someone from the south may be regarding a Boston winter, and I was only in Raleigh! Atlanta is even hotter and more humid.

I wouldn't worry about the dog too much. I've had dogs in atl with heavy coats all my life and they get used to it. I've known people with huskys too and they get along fine. Make your decision based on the school not the dog.

I'd imagine if you were motivated enough, you should be able to arrange for rotations through Harvard affiliated hospitals or do research at Harvard Med. If you have reason to want to be in the NorthEast (family, significant other, etc) go BU. Otherwise, go Emory cause it's a superior school.

erin682 said:
I wouldn't worry about the dog too much. I've had dogs in atl with heavy coats all my life and they get used to it. I've known people with huskys too and they get along fine. Make your decision based on the school not the dog.

Agreed. Also, you can shave your dog so he/she stays cooler.