Emory vs. Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MPH2010Global

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted into Emory's MPh- Global Health program and Columbia's Health Policy Program. I am having a very hard time deciding. I wish to work in Eastern Africa upon graduation- designing and evaluating programs/policies. I feel as though Columbia could give me a strong foundation for design/evaluation but the contacts at Emory and the Global focus of the program are also appealing.

I'd love to know what you all think. I'm heading back to east Africa in 3 weeks, so I have to decide pretty soon. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have been accepted into Emory's MPh- Global Health program and Columbia's Health Policy Program. I am having a very hard time deciding. I wish to work in Eastern Africa upon graduation- designing and evaluating programs/policies. I feel as though Columbia could give me a strong foundation for design/evaluation but the contacts at Emory and the Global focus of the program are also appealing.

I'd love to know what you all think. I'm heading back to east Africa in 3 weeks, so I have to decide pretty soon. Thanks!

You can't make a bad choice here!

I can only truly speak to Columbia, but linking HPM to a career in E. Africa will not be the straightest line. I did SMS at Columbia and actually do work in E. Africa now, but it was not easy/straightforward and took lots of luck. If you're a very entrepreneurial person that loves to sort of 'pound the pavement' in pursuit of opportunities, Columbia has a wealth. But, they are never really presented to you in an accessible way (IMO), and you're going to have to edge out all of the folks in the Global Health track. On the other hand, if there are specific NGOs with NY offices that you're interested in, Columbia could be a good place to be, simply because of the networking possibilities (the International Rescue Committee comes to mind).

Honestly, grad school is all about your network and opportunities. So, if you can see more clear linkages to work in Eastern Africa from the vantage of a Global Health program at Emory, that would be my choice. The coursework should be comparable, but I assume the networks are quite different (both wonderful, just different).

Or, if someone has money for you, go there. MPHs don't make the big bucks. :) Goodluck, feel free to PM with more Qs.

I'd go with Emory...the track is designed for what you want to do...and honestly after this winter NYC seems so uninviting (to me).

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw this thread from last year and wanted to bring it up again.

I have been accepted to both Columbia and Emory for Health Policy and Management programs. I know the major differences between the two (Atlanta?NYC, CDC, 16 vs. 24 month programs) but I wanted to know if anyone would be able to comment on the overall focus or particular strengths of either program? I am specializing in management and I hope to pursue a career in hospital administration in the future, particularly working on improving the safety and efficiency of healthcare delivery. I have heard mixed things about both schools - facilities, institutional opportunities, and flexibility of course selection... any comments would be helpful!

Thanks!

Ditto w/ miamigal03 @bringing up the thread again...

Which is a better MPH program - Columbia for Sociomedical Sciences or Emory for Behavioral Science/Health Education?

I'm graduating with a BA in psychology in May, and I plan to go to med school after my MPH.

Columbia gave me a merit scholarship for $10K each year but money isn't an issue. I'm leaning towards Emory right now because of CDC opportunities and better weather/location... but Columbia definitely has the Ivy advantage.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I'm in the same boat! Accepted to Columbia SMS Global Health with 10k/year scholarship and Emory Global Health 22k scholarship and assistantship. Anyone have words of wisdom?

Sorry guys to intervene by Oxford,London School and Emory in this forum!
I am having a hard time as well to choose between Oxford Global Health Science Program, London School Health Economics program and Emory MPH Health Policy and Mx Program. I feel Emory is so much better in terms of program but Oxford is an huge school though it's global health program is a pretty new one. London school is also good in public health and tropical medicine. Any thoughts and advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Cesc