emory vs duke vs gw vs hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

forepsych

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi there!

i apologize for the crazy title! there is probably only one SDN reader who has actually knows all of these programs but..

do you have any thoughts on comparing these programs?

i am pretty confused about how i should approach the whole thing. i have read a lot on this forum about these programs and made a spreadsheet that left me more confused than before i started.

i really value a supportive/collegial atmosphere, encouragement to pursue your own niche in psychiatry/flexible electives, early outpt and psychotherapy training, and the opportunity to pursue fellowship opportunities (leaning C&A at the moment-definitely subject to change). being able to moonlight would be a bonus.

please feel free to share your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

I think of Hopkins and Duke as similar. For better and for worse, Emory's residents seem to be less focused on psychiatry. GW is the outlier on this list.

Emory - Middle-of-the-road residents who have interests in and spend ample time outside of psychiatry. Bad traffic. Lots of fellowships and research.

Duke - Rigorous evidence-based training. Emphasis on medicine. Med-psych program available. Strong research opportunities and several fellowships.

GW - Most psychodynamic. Fewer fellowships. High cost of living. Opportunity for multicultural and policy work. Little basic research.

Hopkins - Best inpatient experience with multiple specialty units and a lot of beds. Emphasis on medicine. Plenty of research. National recognition

My thoughts: If you know you want to end up in Atlanta or Durham, I'd say consider Emory or Duke. If you don't know where you want to end up, consider Hopkins. If you want to primarily treat higher functioning outpatients or work in policy, consider GW.

I would disagree that Duke and Hopkins are similar. While it's true that both are prestigious, strong programs with extremely supportive PDs, I felt that the organizational philosophies were quite different.

Hopkins seems to have a stronger focus on clinical training, especially in inpatient psychiatry. You don't see many programs with the specialty units they have, and there might not be a better inpatient experience anywhere. There is a strong focus on diagnosis over therapy ("anyone can learn psychotherapy; the true value of a physician is in making the correct diagnosis"). All of their attendings do research, teaching, and clinical work, which probably enriches the inpatient educational experience. However, the program seems quite rigid (or structured, depending on how you look at it) , and the department is very hierarchical (the didactics are reminiscent of a medicine or surgery program). There is a lot of institutional pride here.

Duke seems to have a more flexible approach, and residents pretty much design their 4th year. Group learning is the norm here, the didactics are more like discussions rather than lectures. There seems to be very little hierarchy in the department, which has a pretty flat organizational style. There's a lot of interdisciplinary work with not just other specialties but also other graduate schools. The hospitals are connected with the undergraduate campus, and the atmosphere of the program suggested that the connection was attitudinal as well as physical. Psychotherapy seems to be valued here, and they use video recording and one-way mirror with group feedback.

I would say that if you like the traditional model of medical education and hated PBL, go with Hopkins. If you're a pretty independent learner who can't stand hierarchies and old-fashioned-ness, go with Duke.

I tried to make this post as bias-free as I could, but I don't think I managed to do it completely. You can probably tell which program I liked better.

Edit: Actually read your entire post. Duke has a very strong C&A fellowship. I think they start moonlighting in the 3rd year (don't remember exactly). And I would say it's one of the most flexible programs in the country. I don't know much about Emory or GW, but I think Duke would be a good choice for you.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I would disagree that Duke and Hopkins are similar...

I tried to make this post as bias-free as I could, but I don't think I managed to do it completely. You can probably tell which program I liked better.

It's a pretty fair post. But I still think that on a national level, Duke and Hopkins are similar.

I would agree that Hopkins has more lectures overall in lieu of evidence-based seminars throughout. Lectures are front-loaded in the first couple of years of residency. In the latter years, the lectures make way for seminars. Socratic teaching throughout in form of various formal teaching rounds where residents are called upon to answer questions. Re: psychotx, one way mirrors used for outpatient training. Don't know about videos. C&A fellowship with inpatient unit exists. And if moonlighting is a deal breaker, Hopkins doesn't allow it - - so I'd look elsewhere.