Emory vs. MCG 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thehughesfactor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know, everyone hates this question (and apparently Emory gets compared to every school out there on this forum). This is a mostly a question of finances, as I qualify for in state tuition at MCG.

MCG
Total year cost ~$55,000
Brand new educational building, including new anatomy lab opening in August
pass/fail
located in Augusta- smaller city, less 'entertainment'
Must do clinical rotations in Georgia
2.5 hours from "home"

Emory
Total year cost ~$80,000
Gorgeous campus
pass/fail
Accelerated curriculum- Step 1 after 1.5 years
located in Atlanta- large city, lots of friends
1 hour from "home"
Associated with Grady hospital
Higher national ranking and "name value"
Greater wealth of research opportunities

These two schools have nearly identical Step 1 scores. Percentage-wise, they send the same proportion of students to competitive residencies like ortho, derm, etc, although I wasn't able to get any information about where they actually match residency. I imagine that the Emory name might have the advantage in getting you a residency interview outside of the South.

If you're still reading this, can I get your opinion? I qualify for $47,000 of unsubsidized 5.4% Stafford loans at both schools (not even enough to cover tuition at Emory). Little to no help from parents - I can go home and eat for free on the weekends, but that's about it. I don't mind eventually working in Georgia, but I would like to snag one of those more competitive specialties and I'm having a hard time putting a price on the abstract differences like brand value.

If the schools produce the same average step scores, and the same proportion of highly competitive residents, then basically I'm paying an extra $100,000+ to live in a fun city and attend a school with greater research potential, both of which I won't truly be able to invest myself in because I'm a medical student. What would you do?

FYI I'm 25 years old and single, with three years of research experience and a couple of papers.

Members don't see this ad.

I know, everyone hates this question (and apparently Emory gets compared to every school out there on this forum). This is a mostly a question of finances, as I qualify for in state tuition at MCG.

MCG
Total year cost ~$55,000
Brand new educational building, including new anatomy lab opening in August
pass/fail
located in Augusta- smaller city, less 'entertainment'
Must do clinical rotations in Georgia
2.5 hours from "home"

Emory
Total year cost ~$80,000
Gorgeous campus
pass/fail
Accelerated curriculum- Step 1 after 1.5 years
located in Atlanta- large city, lots of friends
1 hour from "home"
Associated with Grady hospital
Higher national ranking and "name value"
Greater wealth of research opportunities

These two schools have nearly identical Step 1 scores. Percentage-wise, they send the same proportion of students to competitive residencies like ortho, derm, etc, although I wasn't able to get any information about where they actually match residency. I imagine that the Emory name might have the advantage in getting you a residency interview outside of the South.

If you're still reading this, can I get your opinion? I qualify for $47,000 of unsubsidized 5.4% Stafford loans at both schools (not even enough to cover tuition at Emory). Little to no help from parents - I can go home and eat for free on the weekends, but that's about it. I don't mind eventually working in Georgia, but I would like to snag one of those more competitive specialties and I'm having a hard time putting a price on the abstract differences like brand value.

If the schools produce the same average step scores, and the same proportion of highly competitive residents, then basically I'm paying an extra $100,000+ to live in a fun city and attend a school with greater research potential, both of which I won't truly be able to invest myself in because I'm a medical student. What would you do?

FYI I'm 25 years old and single, with three years of research experience and a couple of papers.

Might want to get your facts correct. MCG is P/F in the first year and then letter graded in the second year:
http://issuu.com/ghsu/docs/2014mcgadmissionsfinal_1_/10

"If the schools produce the same average step scores, and the same proportion of highly competitive residents," --- is this in fact true?

Last edited:
If you're interested in academic medicine, Emory will probably be better for you in the long run. If you just want to practice medicine, MCG will get you where you want to go.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Give yourself an edge for residency apps. Go to Emory.

Reactions: 1 user