emory vs. medical college of georgia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peachgirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone in the position of deciding between Emory University and Medical College of Georgia? I'm having a tough time choosing. Is it worth the $$ to go to Emory when the two schools are tied in primary care rank? (although Emory is ranked higher in research) Please post opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

In a word: ___!!!!!!!!! (i'm sure you're bright enough to fill in the blank) :D

In another word, Emory.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, do you want to do research? If not, go to MCG and save a load of cash...you'd probably end up at emory for residency anyway...

Are you two guys brothers?? (Haha caveman)

I got into both, and I say MCG over Emory.

Is it really wise to spend $100k extra based on some arbitrary ranking given by a non-medical magazine? Personally, I believe that almost ALL allopathic medical schools in the US prepare you adequately to go into any residency you want. It all matters how hard you really want to work. There is no doubt that Emory is a wonderful school, but so is MCG. There are probably more research ops. at Emory, but MCG has research too, if you are interested. I have heard that the competition at Emory will be more fierce. That can be good or bad. For me, I can't stand the "gunner" type, who will do anything to look better than the student next to him/her. I am a laid back person, willing to help anyone who has a problem. I think I will be able to learn better in a more laid back atmosphere, like the one at MCG. I was, at first, enamored with the Emory name, but that's all it is, a name. Then, I woke up.