Emory vs. Tulane

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by jennifer1227, May 20, 2002.

1. jennifer1227

jennifer1227 Junior Member

I have to decide in one week - Emory or Tulane? Any opinions? I've never heard one bad thing about tulane...but several about emory. (competitive students, uncaring profs, etc). Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts. Do yall think one school is "better" than the other. What would you do?

jennifer

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ValleyGal

ValleyGal Senior Member

emory is the better school -- I would definitely choose it over tulane. Emory is so nice and pretty, and tulane is falling apart and the labs are all cramped. Pick emory for sure!

4. SimulD

SimulD Senior Member

That's a tough call ...

I'm at Tulane, and I like it. The two schools are really similar: urban schools with public/county and private hospitals, both have great clinical years, and both are rather traditional in curriculum. Both are in neat cities, but I think I might like ATL better purely 'cause of the cultural diversity ... but N.O. is great, cause of the food and music.

I think the major difference is that Emory is, well, to put it simply "known". Everyone knows that it's a great school, and US News feels that way, and they have a ton of research money. I have no idea how the students feel there or if it's a good place to go to school, but I just know that when I hear Emory, I know it's a great place. Tulane, on the other hand, is 'known' perhaps best just regionally, in the South.

Go where you will feel the most comfortable ... both are great schools.

Simul

5. C U in MD school

C U in MD school Senior Member

i would go to tulane. i think its a great school in a great city. the ppl at the school are great too. there couldnt be more supportive at tulane during your education. also, short and t shirts will do all year round. good luck but i hope to see you at tulane in the fall. :D

6. abefroman

abefroman Senior Member

I'm on both waitlists and I'd pick Emory for many of the same reasons as ValleyGal's. The people seemed happier, facilities nicer, better academics, etc. And the weather in Atlanta is pretty nice too.

7. SRS

SRS Junior Member

I would probably pick tulane just because I've heard so many bad things about emory. I heard its real competitive. I also heard tulane does not release much info to US news and therefore it is not included in any of the rankings but that it is very well known in the medical community.