Emory vs U of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zjwah

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted to the MS in Epi at UW and the MSPH in Epi at Emory. I'm currently leaning toward UW, but am still undecided. I thought I'd ask about which school you guys think is the better choice.

I realize I may be starting a riot. But, objectively, if possible, why would you choose one over the other? I'm currently making a pro/con list for each school and would like some more input (yes, I really am Rory Gilmore at heart) beyond my friends' and families' biased arguments.

My focus is in non-communicable disease epi, specifically cancer epi. I also plan on getting my PhD in Epi eventually (whether this is right after completing the MS or after a few years of work, I don't know).

So, thoughts? Thanks! :D

Members don't see this ad.

I'll try this one out.

As you already know Seattle is a much better city an Atlanta<personal opinion>. BUT if you are going for your PhD, you would be leaving Atlanta (possibly) in two years anyways.

If you are really interested in pursuing the PhD route it is important to make sure there are research opportunities available, and if you can get one that is exactly your specific research interest even better!

Last year I *thought* I wanted to go to Tulane. Then I heard back from Emory and UIC with acceptances. I then thought UIC was it! And then I went and visited and found that it was definitely not for me. I visited Emory two weeks later and knew immediately. I think you mentioned you're going to be trying to visit schools. I highly highly highly encourage it.

As a biased sidenote I really love Emory. It is the "right" school for me and I am glad I made the decision I did. That said, one of my good friends here is a UW undergrad and loves UW as a whole. I think you are in a very lucky predicament and most likely can't go wrong either way.

I think you'll probably get a lot of opinions on this, but I think it will ultimately come to factors unique to your situation. Both schools have great programs and reputations and I don't think you'd be doing yourself a disservice by choosing either one over the other. Little factors I can think of though:

I believe that you said somewhere on here that you currently live in Atlanta? Have you spent much or any time in Seattle? I was considering UW (it's a great school!) so when I flew home from the Peace Corps I made a layover in Seattle and planned to stay with a couple of returned volunteers. They had all talked about how awesome Seattle was and how much I would love it. I got there and they told me how lucky I was that I was there on such a nice day (I thought it was pretty dreary compared to the souther sunshine I'm used to - I'm from Tennessee - but I knew to expect that there). I had great tour guides and saw some cool stuff, but I really really disliked Seattle (don't tell my friends there, they would disown me). Anyhoo, you may love it there, but it would be worth it to visit for a few days if you never have because being miserable where you live can affect your school work, social life, etc. (This is not to hate on Seattle, I would say it's smart for someone to do this for any school in any city).

Where do you want to work? I'd take a look at the organizations that both are affiliated with and see which of those places you would be interested working, if you make a Rory Gilmore list you may find that one school has several more affiliates you could see yourself employed with than the other. (Not that you can't get a job at the affiliations of another school, but when you're choosing between two great programs a small advantage could make the decision for you). Even places the schools don't work with but are in close proximity to the school, if you find a place or organization you might want to work with that's based in Seattle then going to UW would give you an opportunity to try for an internship or summer work there (and vis versa for Atlanta).

I'd also look at timelines and financial aide. I didn't end up applying to UW because of how I felt about Seattle...but I know that Emory is generally a 4 semester program where many others are 3 semester (maybe UW is?). This can be seen as a pro or a con, it keeps you out of the work force and paying tuition an extra semester, but it also gives you a chance to take more courses and doesn't rush your learning. Also is there a large tuition difference?

"Vibe" from the school was also something I thought about, when you email each school do they respond in a timely/personal manner? Do you feel like you click with staff/faculty you have spoken with? That was big for me, I've decided on Emory, and part of the reason was how helpful the faculty/staff were, they always emailed me back when I asked questions and often initiated contact with me about things. It felt personal and I clicked with them (rather than just feeling like a SOPHAS ID number). Other people may have not gotten the same vibe from Emory or may have gotten a better one at another school, another point that would be your perspective and not others'.

Anyhoo, like I said, these are just things you could add to your list (if you haven't already) and are small things that I would probably nit pick on my list as well :)

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies!

This definitely helps with brainstorming.

Awapi- I have been to Seattle and tend to agree with JMM051- I loved it, and prefer it as a city over Atlanta. So, that's not much of an issue for me.

You both bring up excellent points! I'll be spending my weekend working on this issue, so I appreciate the help.

Not to jump on the Emory bandwagon...but I too am a little biased. :)

First: Since you mentioned PhD programs, one thing to note is that the coursework you take for your MPH (at Emory) counts toward credits for PhD at Emory. (Basically, you would only have 1 year of coursework for your PhD rather than 2, and you don't have to retake any classes.) I don't know if this is true for UW. Also, Emory really loves its MPH students/grads when it's time for PhD admissions- there is a MUCH higher acceptance rate among Emory students/grads than in general. Plus, all Emory PhD students are fully funded.

Second: If you want to work for the CDC, you should come to Emory. It is very difficult to get an entry level position there in general, but Emory has a partnership with CDC and other organizations such as CARE, ACS, etc., to hire students as part of the Rollins Practical Experience Grant. The contacts made from that have been absolutely invaluable.

These are just some things to think about. I'm sure UW is fabulous too, and I don't think you'll regret going to either school, but I really can't say enough good things about Emory. Good luck!