Emory Vs. University of Miami...anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aria111

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what you think about U. of Miami compared to Emory? I loved them both, and am having a hard time deciding...any opinions? Pros and cons?

thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm... That's a strange comparison. I say Emory, hands down.

aria111,

If you're from CA and deciding between the two, DEFINITELY go with Emory!!!!!!!!!!!! Is there a reason why you're stumped between the two??

Oh yeah, some of my friends are there right now, and are completely happy with their choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
The city of Miami is awesome- beach, diversity, etc. The Miami medical center is huge (2nd largest in the US), the campus is gorgeous, and the students seem really well balanced (ie- they have lives outside of school)...
But Emory's reputation is better...do you know why?
Uh! so torn!

Are you fa' real?????

Well, whatever makes you happy...

I'll give you a list of "why emory over miami" later...I've got to eat.

:clap: :clap: EMORY :clap: :clap:

1) b/c I say so

2)tuition is cheaper--the last I heard Emory's tuition is $28K+ and Miami's is um...somewhere in the mid $30Ks.

3) Emory is just as diverse as Miami (if you're thinking in terms of ethnicity). One out of every four/five is non-Caucasian. Also, people there are diverse in their interests too. They have ballerinas and musicians and what not in their classes.

4)Emory has a superb pass rate on the boards...when I was there, one of my friends (at Emory med at that time) told me that his class had a 100% pass rate (can't remember what year). You can't beat that! They're not too shabby with residency matchings either -- I think close to ninety percent get their top 3. (Don't hold me to this...)

5)Emory med students do have a life. At just about any school there are going to be students who study 24/7 and stay in the bottom 25% of their class and then those that do minimal studying but are at the top of their class. Emory students DO go out and drink and club (and sometimes I'm in tow...) :D

6)If you care about rankings, Emory is ranked in both research AND primary care. Also, Emory will soon have a really fantastic cancer center!! :)

7)Atlanta is a great city (when you have the patience to deal with the traffic). It's a very "diverse" city.

I don't know if this helps in any way. It seems like to me you pretty much have your mind made up. Gool luck with your decision.

:)

Thanks for all your info, Dazed!
Good luck!