Emory vs University of Pittsburgh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Death

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Foreign Medical Graduate [ yet another!!] and I have applied to for MPH fall 2007 session . My main idea to do MPH is to get some research experience , some good LoR s and overall strengthen my application when I apply for residency positions [ surgery , if possible] .

I applied to several places and got accepted at Epidemiology programs at Emory and University of Pittsburgh both.

Now, I have some background regarding Emory's public health school and have a presumption that research opportunities are more in Atlanta due to CDC , American Cancer Society etc. Also few close pals are studying at Emory so sort of peer support is also available.

I don't have much background about Uni of Pitt except that it's a good uni and the MPH program is good.

Now I am confused as to where should i go , Emory or Pitt. The fact that I am going to apply for residency adds some quandary to the entire situation.

An info about Uni Of Pitt's Epidemiology program and a comparison between Pitt and Emory will be helpful .

I have also applied to Harvard's MS in Cardiovascular epidemiology [ 1 year] program but decision is not out yet.

Any thoughts on impact of these places and programs on the future prospects of a good residency match are awaited.

Awaiting your replies!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I think it should be Emory all the way. University of Pittsburgh isn't even on the radar in my opinion, and Emory is a ranked program. If you are looking for a residency...then you I think Emory is a better choice. Be sure to ACE the USMLE as well. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Mostly because I have been asking faculty members where I go to school (which is Emory.....therefore I might be biased) where to go for later training and not a one has mentioned pittsburgh.

Now granted my emphasis is on chronic infectious diseases (Malaria, HIV, TB) and not Chronic (cancer, diabetes, CHD....etc).....but I still think I should have heard more about a program than I have heard about Pitt. I think it could be associated with a better medical school and for someone wanting to do a residency....getting an association with the largest medical school possible (ie get to know more profs who can get you an in with other profs at other campus that also have lots of residency spots) is probably beneficial.

There isn't any "scientific" backing to this answer of mine, just a random sample of the profs I work with at several different schools of public health (Emory, Hopkins, CDC, NIH, and UCLA), but it hasn't been on the radar in any of the polls I have taken......that doesn't mean that if there is someone there who does your exact research interest (ie injury prevention or something) that it isn't the best place for you. However, if you are a FMG and you are trying to get a residency.....I think your best bet is to go with the biggest name and biggest department you can. However, that said.....I think medical schools know that FMGs use masters programs to get established in the US....and they don't neccessarily go any easier on USMLE scores...which must be excellent. I work in an international setting and i can't tell you how many of the docs that I work with are trying to get US residencies (just about all of them). I also know several that have done programs in the US (at Hopkins no less) and not gotten a match....and these are smart folks who I respect.

Thanks for the info. I'm still an undergrad planning on applying to MPH programs (chronic disease epi) for fall '08 admission. At this point, I have no plans to go to med school, so I'm trying to decide which programs are the best keeping in mind that many of the top programs are less likely to admit people directly out of undergrad. Pitt states on their website that they encourage recently college grads to apply, and the instate tuition helps as well. Other than that, I really do not know much about their program or reputation.

Thanks all for the informative replies! Well I know that people wanna try to get settled via doing MPH as a cover and all that. But those people go to cheaper programs and time pass courses at those programs [eg East Tenesse , full of FMGs trying to get in residency, using program just for cover] .

While I don't deny that my final goal is to pursue a residency , I am serious about doing MPH and getting some good research experience and some pub out of it. Thats the reason I have applied to reputed [ read "costlier" ] schools and in the epi subdivision, so that i can stay in some clinical contact.

Emory for me has one BIG advantage that's some of my close pals are there and settling down will be piece of cake with their support there. Better reviews of Emory here gives me solace because at heart I'd like to go to Emory, but this Uni O pitt name was enticing me.

As far as not getting residency is concerned , I know it's a random thing and many more things than USMLE scores come in to play. I know people who , with decent scores, specializations from their home country and USCE have not been able to match in to the programs of their choice , while on the other end of the spectrum I know people who matched in to something impossible like Ortho with OK scores and no research etc . So in that case want to give my best shot at matching by doing at least the best I can at a solid MPH program.

Thanks for the opinions! keep them coming!

kind of going along this thread, does anyone have any opinions about pittsburgh's MPH program? e.g. student-orientated or geared to working professionals, career prospects, student life and general satisfaction of program

Hello. I had a similar question. I just applied to a few public health schools at the last minute. After getting an MPH I hope to go to medical school.

I was wondering which school would provide me with better opportunities among George Washington (Global Health), U of Minnesota (Environmental and Infectious Disease) or Drexel?

Thanks.:)