Emory vs. UT Houston (Dallas campus)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aceofspadez138

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, first time poster here. I find this site very helpful, and would appreciate some needed advice.

I received admission into Emory's BSHE MPH program as well as UT Houston's custom MPH program at their Dallas campus, and I don't know which one to pick.

I went to Emory for my undergrad, and would love to go back for an MPH. The school is ranked #7 for public health and it's located next to the CDC, which is good for job opportunities. However, I live in Dallas and attending UT Houston's program (ranked #21) would be significantly cheaper. I'm still waiting on financial aid, but Emory would cost around 60K (plus living costs) whereas UT Houston would cost around 10K.

I'm truly split on where to go. Living at home would be much easier, and UT would be a lot easier to pay for. However, Emory is ranked higher.

Is it worth paying the extra 50K+ to get my MPH from Emory? I want to settle in Dallas in the long term, but I don't want to regret passing up going to Emory and potentially working at the CDC because of money. I appreciate any advice!

Members don't see this ad.