Emory vs Vermont vs Einstein

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goingtoMDschoolsoon

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

First off thanks so much for your input. Second, I'm so freaking happy I can say any of this :D. I’ve narrowed down my school options to these three.

Some things about me: I’m not sure about any one particular field but I want to keep my options open and am hopeful to teach and enter academic medicine. I also would like to be somewhere where I will have the time to do extracurriculars and research. I'd like to end up in NYC for residency.

Emory

Pros
  • Amazing clinical experiences/ resources/ affiliations
  • CDC is nearby
  • Research opportunities d5-month month research stint
  • Atlanta is amazing
  • I enjoy going to classes and they have an emphasis on that
  • Medium sized class
  • highest ranked
  • p/f
  • felt good about being there

Cons
  • Atlanta is far away from family and is hard to get around from what I hear.
  • COA is 350k $$$

Vermont
Pros
  • I love the outdoors
  • I love the integrated curriculum, the reputation it has, and the attention professors have been known to have
  • They gave me $200k in scholarship money
  • Small Class
  • p/f

Cons
  • Burlington
  • Condensed preclinicals leave less time for research and ECs in first years
  • Reduced patient populations and much fewer research opportunities
  • Definitely primary care leaning
Einstein
  • Amazing clinical experiences/ resources/ affiliations
  • Close to home
  • great and cheap housing
  • familiar with the NY landscape and the school
  • want to end up in ny for residency
  • Felt good about being there
  • p/f
Cons
  • COA is sticker price 350k
  • been around the area forever
Summary: Torn between staying near home, following the money, or going to the best school I got accepted to and a school I also felt good about. I felt great about Emory and Einstein when I visited and don't know whether the scholarship should sway me. Vermont is ranked well enough and I am actually excited about getting outdoors on the weekends for sanity. Can I tag @Goro @gyngyn @HomeSkool @LizzyM @Catalystik for some help :p?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It depends on what 'hoping to enter academic medicine' means to you. Are you looking for a research heavy position with possible tenure, or something more resemblant of majority clinical with teaching and possibly research sprinkled in, but non-tenured? The former is a very competitive pathway, and networking opportunities from attending a higher ranked/research heavy school can go a long way if this is what you are after. At least that is my understanding (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

I would say Emory. Ranked higher, more research. COA for Emory and Einstein is the same, so if you want to have less loans when you graduate then Vermont it is. I would say it will end up being between Emory vs. Vermont. Higher rank, more research, more opportunities vs. Less loans. What makes you happier? Having less loans or being in higher ranked school.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on what 'hoping to enter academic medicine' means to you. Are you looking for a research heavy position with possible tenure, or something more resemblant of majority clinical with teaching and possibly research sprinkled in, but non-tenured? The former is a very competitive pathway, and networking opportunities from attending a higher ranked/research heavy school can go a long way if this is what you are after. At least that is my understanding (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).
I guess I don't know. I'm open and very interested in teaching in the future and want to be the best medical education provider I can be.

I would say Emory. Ranked higher, more research. COA for Emory and Einstein is the same, so if you want to have less loans when you graduate then Vermont it is. I would say it will end up being between Emory vs. Vermont. Higher rank, more research, more opportunities vs. Less loans. What makes you happier? Having less loans or being in higher ranked school.

I don't know how to evaluate that binary...doesn't seem simple. I liked Emory a lot and felt comfortable there but there are a lot of things about Vermont that were cool (creative curriculum, cool faculty,etc)

Reactions: 1 user
It sounds that you are leaning toward Emory.

I'm actually leaning towards Vermont. It's well ranked, gives me the financial freedom to pursue what I want without thinking about loans (don't have UG loans bc of scholarship), and I feel passionate about working with medical education which they do really well. I also had a conversation with someone very important at Emory and they basically said you'd probably have a better quality of life at Vermont. I'm sitting on it but it feels like financial freedom is important in order to pursue medicine more honestly.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm actually leaning towards Vermont. It's well ranked, gives me the financial freedom to pursue what I want without thinking about loans (don't have UG loans bc of scholarship), and I feel passionate about working with medical education which they do really well. I also had a conversation with someone very important at Emory and they basically said you'd probably have a better quality of life at Vermont. I'm sitting on it but it feels like financial freedom is important in order to pursue medicine more honestly.
Yep!! Take that money and run lol