Emory Vs Yale. Help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yusanshui

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! Everyone.

I got the acceptance to both Chronic Disease Epi @ Yale, and Health Policy and Management @ Emory. It is very hard for me to choose... Although Yale is an esteemed university, its SPH doesnt rank top:idea:..Could anyone give me any suggestions?

Thank you very much!:)

Members don't see this ad.

The curriculums for Epi and HPM seem like they would be quite different from each other. Don't you have a preference between the two areas? Personally, I would think about which discipline is a better fit for my career plans first and foremost, and not make the decision based on which school is more prestigious.

Good luck with your decision! :)

Last edited:
The curriculums for Epi and HPM seem like they would be quite different from each other. Don't you have a preference between the two areas? Personally, I would think about which discipline is a better fit for my career plans first and foremost, and not make the decision based on which school is more prestigious.

Good luck with your decision! :)

Thanks Kurly. I plan to apply for med school aft MPH, thats why I have a slight preferenc towards EPI, I think I will do well in it than HPM. Hehe...But feel depressed about Yale's lower ranking, will it be a matter??

Members don't see this ad :)
just to reiterate kurly, they are very different disciplines so you should choose based on the concentrations themselves and the school secondly.
Also, if you're using the MPH to boost your med school application, there are much better ways to do that so I would consider future grades in a specific MPH program negligible as a decision making factor.

I don't know emory well, but i would generally recommend against yale unless it's health management.

I don't know emory well, but i would generally recommend against yale unless it's health management.
can you speak on that a bit?

I was pretty much going to say the same thing -- that if it the choice was epi, I'd go with Emory and if it was HPM, I'd go with Yale. But since it's reversed as far as subjects, I'd just go with what you feel is right for you...epi or hpm.

But do you know anybody that did HPM at Emory? Are you speaking primarily based off of history/rankings for the management programs? Just curious...

I'm basing this on personal experience; don't want to be too detailed.
And this is not to say that Yale is horrible in any way - but I think it has less to offer in terms of epi.

can you speak on that a bit?

I was pretty much going to say the same thing -- that if it the choice was epi, I'd go with Emory and if it was HPM, I'd go with Yale. But since it's reversed as far as subjects, I'd just go with what you feel is right for you...epi or hpm.

But do you know anybody that did HPM at Emory? Are you speaking primarily based off of history/rankings for the management programs? Just curious...

Ooops, the reverse... I am actually thinking the epi program in Yale is good, as they have the seperate Chronic Disease epi and Micro Epi. The class size is much smaller than Emory, but does it mean it will be hard to score A??

I love Atlanta, I also love the campus the of Yale. :rolleyes:

I got into Emory for HPM, and not heard back from Yale also for HPM :( So what is the general consesus about Yale?

Is it a go or no go for HPM?

I got into Emory for HPM, and not heard back from Yale also for HPM :( So what is the general consesus about Yale?

Is it a go or no go for HPM?

I think the admission is offered within divisions independently? What is your idea...? Which one will you choose?Yale or Emory,seems we have the same prob..?

Jblanc, I submitted my application to SOPHAS on 11/21, my application was received and completed by Emory on 12/9, and I got accepted into the program 12/20. I had been checking OPUS during that whole period, but the way I was notified was when I got an email from FedEx telling me that Emory was sending me a package. Then I went onto OPUS and saw the decision letter. Hopefully that helps you out as far as timelines go.

I think the admission is offered within divisions independently? What is your idea...? Which one will you choose?Yale or Emory,seems we have the same prob..?

I'm in this boat as well. Any insight into these two HPM programs would be helpful. A PM would be great if you could help me out.