1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Emory- Work-study

Discussion in 'Public Health Degrees (Masters and Doctoral)' started by publichealthfan, May 9, 2008.

1. publichealthfan

2+ Year Member

Can someone explain work-study to me? Is it money automatically credited to my account? and then i work a job to pay them back? or is it the money earned from the job? or is it both? if i dont end up getting a work study position, is the money taken away?

please help!:confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. snoofle

2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    you find a job through monstertrak, emorys career center, emory job fair (i believe there will be a booth set up at orientation for work/study jobs), etc. that is specifically listed as a work study position and the amount that you have been allocated for work study is the maximum amount you are allowed to receive for that semester. you dont just get the money..you have to actually apply and get a job.

4. aelizabeth

2+ Year Member

Sometimes workstudy jobs only pay you with workstudy funds-- so when your money runs out, you're done working. But often you can find a job that accepts both workstudy and non-workstudy people. They are very likely to keep you working even after your workstudy funds are gone. This is definitely the way to go if possible.

5. publichealthfan

2+ Year Member

okay- so say i am on workstudy but decided not to work a semester.... do i get penalized for this?

6. snoofle

2+ Year Member

i dont think you'd be penalized for not getting a job and taking the government's money =P if i remember correctly, one of my friends in college was a work/study kid and she didn't work for a year or so and there was no problem..ultimately its your choice to want to get a job right away or not, they can't force you or take away your funding..you've already been awarded the work/study money for the year. i probably wont work my first semester at Emory either just b/c i want to get a feel for my classes and stuff.

7. publichealthfan

2+ Year Member

okay cool, thanks yall!
    i just wanted to know if it was like a binding thing- like if i accepted the work-study, then i had to work or something..but it's good to know that i don't..

thanks!

8. erikalindsay

erikalindsay caffeinated
    5+ Year Member

9. WantAnMPH

7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Work-study money is paid directly to you like a normal job, taxable income and all. If you don't work, no money for that semester, though that shouldn't affect you being awarded work-study another year. Often you can find better paying non-work-study jobs, in which case, just go with those.